5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what's wrong with our court system.

"According to the proposed settlement, the 42 plaintiffs who sued will receive $1,000 to $3,000 each, while the attorneys representing those plaintiffs will receive $7.5 million."
Yeah that does suck but at least they need to fix the problem.

A current owner or lessee of a subject vehicle listed in CSN W80 may have an oil consumption test performed and if the vehicle fails the oil consumption test, a Chrysler dealer will replace the Tigershark engine long block pursuant to CSN W80.

In connection with CSN W20, CSN W80 and CSN W84, any customer who paid for a repair related to oil consumption may submit a claim for reimbursement.

The oil consumption lawsuit settlement says Chrysler will reimburse customers the costs of towing and repair-related transportation expenses that were incurred in connection with Tigershark engine oil consumption repairs, such as for rental cars.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
8546 miles on my oil. Level is exactly where it was when I changed 3 months ago.

F2650AA7-3210-4C4C-BBF5-B20003821C17.jpeg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that does suck but at least they need to fix the problem.

A current owner or lessee of a subject vehicle listed in CSN W80 may have an oil consumption test performed and if the vehicle fails the oil consumption test, a Chrysler dealer will replace the Tigershark engine long block pursuant to CSN W80.

In connection with CSN W20, CSN W80 and CSN W84, any customer who paid for a repair related to oil consumption may submit a claim for reimbursement.

The oil consumption lawsuit settlement says Chrysler will reimburse customers the costs of towing and repair-related transportation expenses that were incurred in connection with Tigershark engine oil consumption repairs, such as for rental cars.
I had CSM W80 performed on my work van. It passed only being 1/4 qt low at 1500 miles, but by 2k miles(my normal oil check mileage) it was down a full quart. I didn't check oil level after I left dealer initially because they "mark" the oil cap and dipstick tube to try and prevent tampering. So it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer overfilled initially

Florida RAM

Reaction score
If your vehicle was consistently burning through 1QT every 2000 miles you would probably get rid of it. I think those service bulletins are meant to cover the rare occasions that someone does burn through a bunch of oil. Now they have plausible deniability. I don't think they are saying that it should expected to go through that much oil. If your truck was burning 3-4 qts of oil in between oil changes every time you would probably never buy that brand of vehicle again. Does anyone know how much oil you can lose on a Hemi Ram before a warning light comes on?

Goldsy

Reaction score
8546 miles on my oil. Level is exactly where it was when I changed 3 months ago.

View attachment 127998
My mileage is about the same and my oil has been changed twice already LOL. I bought the maintenance plan when I got my truck, which gave me 12 oil changes that I have to use in 6 years. But the oil changes worked out to be about half price with the plan. I'm getting the oil changed every 6 months, regardless of mileage, until those 12 are used up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never understood why people who rarely drive their trucks would buy an oil change plan with an expiration date.

Goldsy

Reaction score
Never understood why people who rarely drive their trucks would buy an oil change plan with an expiration date.
I live on the east coast of Canada, my commute is 6 miles each way. Short trips with big temperature swings and city driving is about the worst thing for engines. At the very least, I'm changing my oil once a year, per the book. When I did the math, the cost for me to pay for 6 oil changes over 6 years, was the same price and 12 oil changes over 6 years. Plus tire rotations and "courtesy inspections" were included in that package. That's why I did it.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I live on the east coast of Canada, my commute is 6 miles each way. Short trips with big temperature swings and city driving is about the worst thing for engines. At the very least, I'm changing my oil once a year, per the book. When I did the math, the cost for me to pay for 6 oil changes over 6 years, was the same price and 12 oil changes over 6 years. Plus tire rotations and "courtesy inspections" were included in that package. That's why I did it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the oil more frequently than required. It's a good idea to do it at least annually regardless of mileage.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I change mine when the oil minder tells me to.
There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you're putting more than 10k miles on your truck per year. But if you don't drive a lot, be careful with this method. The oil life monitor algorithm doesn't seem to take time into consideration. Exceeding the 1 year oil change interval is just as bad as exceeding the mileage interval, and any warranty claims you may have for an engine issue in the future can be denied because of that. Never exceed 1 year or 10k miles between oil changes.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Last week I got a Carfax Car Care Dashboard email that I assumed was sent to me from my dealer. It had my dealer listed at the bottom is why I came to that conclusion. Based on some of the posts in this thread, stating that you can track your maintenance, I decided to enter my oil changes, tire rotations, etc. on the Car Fax Dashboard. A few days later, I started getting phone calls about "my recent oil change, blah, blah, blah"....I hung up on each call and blocked the number. I would recommend not using Car Fax for tracking your maintenance, unless you like solicitations. :(

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Ram with over 429,000 miles on it.
It only has 429,000 miles on it because I stopped using it for commuting in March of 2020. Since 3/2020 I have only put on a little over 20,000 miles.
I am cheap and I am lazy. I only changed the oil - let me rephrase that - I only HAD the oil changed, 4 times a year. That comes out to about every 12,500 miles.

Dewey

Reaction score
It only has 429,000 miles on it because I stopped using it for commuting in March of 2020. Since 3/2020 I have only put on a little over 20,000 miles.
I am cheap and I am lazy. I only changed the oil - let me rephrase that - I only HAD the oil changed, 4 times a year. That comes out to about every 12,500 miles.
That’s awesome. Wondering what kind of oil and filters you used?

Is the motor untouched? Any major repairs during that time?

I find those high mileage vehicles interesting. Nice to see long term results. Whatever you did obviously worked.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s amazing

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Last week I got a Carfax Car Care Dashboard email that I assumed was sent to me from my dealer. It had my dealer listed at the bottom is why I came to that conclusion. Based on some of the posts in this thread, stating that you can track your maintenance, I decided to enter my oil changes, tire rotations, etc. on the Car Fax Dashboard. A few days later, I started getting phone calls about "my recent oil change, blah, blah, blah"....I hung up on each call and blocked the number. I would recommend not using Car Fax for tracking your maintenance, unless you like solicitations. :(
give a fake number
i have no problem with carfax, have it with both of my vehicles

Idahoktm

Reaction score
then you should be able to log in and change it
I don't remember setting up a profile. I just edited the info that was on the dashboard, which was an estimate. I would have deleted my phone number if it would have been included in the dashboard.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I don't remember setting up a profile. I just edited the info that was on the dashboard, which was an estimate. I would have deleted my phone number if it would have been included in the dashboard.
sorry you are having such an issue
contact your dealer have have them delete you
most dealers are lifetime carfax members now a days

Users who are viewing this thread