5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unless they are sending the oil into a lab for oil analysis, there is no way to tell how much life was left in the oil.
This is correct.

Also not having oil is worse then having "old" or "dirty" oil.

Make sure when you're doing 10k or higher oil changes that you are actually full on oil until you change it.

My 22's manual claims it's normal\expected to lose\burn 1 quart of oil every 2k miles for the first 50k miles (I don't consider that normal either...).

My cousin blew up his old Cadillac because he never changed the oil he went 25k miles without checking, changing, or adding any oil.
Thing that finally made it break was the the engine was running dry and 1 day he turned it on and it was all over, there was basically no oil in the oil pan from what I understood at the time.

Don't be like my cousin, feed your truck oil and make sure it's never thirsty!

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it all depends on the actual engine. I normally change oil every 7500miles or so, but with my 2019(just traded for a 2020 with WAY less miles), my first oil change wasnt until about 13000 miles. After they changed it i asked them how bad the oil was. The tech told me it looked perfect and he saved it so he could put it in his truck the following day. He said it looked like it had 1500 miles max.

Every oil change after that was at least 15000 miles and every tech said it was still pretty clean oil and had life left.

That being said, i have also had engines that would be completely black after 2500 miles.

Wow those must be some great techs to be able to tell high milage black oil from normal milage black oil!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This is correct.

Make sure when you're doing 10k or higher oil changes that you are actually full on oil until you change it.

My 22's manual claims it's normal\expected to lose\burn 1 quart of oil every 2k miles for the first 50k miles (I don't consider that normal either...).

My cousin blew up his old Cadillac because he never changed the oil he went 25k miles without checking, changing, or adding any oil.
Thing that finally made it break was the the engine was running dry and 1 day he turned it on and it was all over, there was basically no oil in the oil pan from what I understood at the time.

This is what the manual says about oil consumption. 🤔
Screenshot_20220427-210924_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Dewey

Reaction score
This is correct.

Wow that’s crazy. I’ve bought more than a dozen new vehicles over the years and never once seen ANY oil burning happening the first 50k miles. That would seriously bother me. Engines are built at such tight tolerances these days that’s totally unacceptable and obviously obviously not the norm.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Oil threads are like political threads. They always get heated and everyone thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong lol. Apparently nobody reads the owners manual when they buy a vehicle anymore lol

Florida RAM

Reaction score

What page is that on? I don't recall reading that in my 22 manual.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most manufacturers will claim 1qt of oil every 1k miles falls within "normal" oil consumption limits. Had a friend who bought a brand new ZL1 Camaro. It burned 1qt of oil every 500-750 miles. Chevy told him that was "acceptable" for that engine and refused to warranty it. After he kept pressuring them about it, Chevy eventually black flagged his car in the computer system, basically voiding his engine warranty. He sold the car right after that

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Most manufacturers will claim 1qt of oil every 1k miles falls within "normal" oil consumption limits. Had a friend who bought a brand new ZL1 Camaro. It burned 1qt of oil every 500-750 miles. Chevy told him that was "acceptable" for that engine and refused to warranty it. After he kept pressuring them about it, Chevy eventually black flagged his car in the computer system, basically voiding his engine warranty. He sold the car right after that
Not sure about that. I've been in fleet maintenance for years. If your vehicle is burning a quart of oil at all during a normal oil change period, you have a problem. A quart every 1000 miles is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen (more likely a leak than anything else). I believe the Hemis use 7 quarts of oil. Most smaller cars are around 5 qts. If it was normal to burn a quart every 1,000 miles the engine would be dry by the time it was due for an oil change.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I always struggle with this as I'm under 10K miles a year. The worry is moisture build up, most of my trips are short and the oil barely gets to temperature. It might be a waste but it gets changed every 6-7 months regardless of mileage

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure about that. I've been in fleet maintenance for years. If your vehicle is burning a quart of oil at all during a normal oil change period, you have a problem. A quart every 1000 miles is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen (more likely a leak than anything else). I believe the Hemis use 7 quarts of oil. Most smaller cars are around 5 qts. If it was normal to burn a quart every 1,000 miles the engine would be dry by the time it was due for an oil change.
What is good is not what is warrantied. You think they make manuals to help you? It's basicly their playbook. "It's burning lots of oil but it's acceptable see right here this line in the manual? "

To be clear burning any oil is a problem, and 1 quart per 1k miles is insane, better sell that crap to Carmax.

But you are making the false assumption that the manufacture wants to help you, in an ideal world your truck's engine would seize up right after your powertrain warranty ended so you would need to buy a new engine, or ideally buy a new truck.

If you ever meet an engineer who works for an car manufacturer ask them how long a transmission should realistically last (whatever model they are currently using) and they will be tight lipped and say however long the warranty period is, like 60 months.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Pretty common. I know gm, bmw, and Subaru all have similar oil consumption limits. I believe it’s actually 1 quart every 2k miles. Ether way it’s a bit excessive.

And that’s why you’re supposed to check your oil. Plus your oil light would come on before it went dry

Idahoktm

Reaction score
That's not what mine says. And mine came in a sealed plastic wrap inside my truck, inside a fabric bag thingy, it's a 22 not a 21.
The picture you sent makes sense. What I read is nonsense. I'll take a picture of it and post it later today
I just downloaded the 2022 manual and that section is identical to the 2021 manual. The powerplants are identical, so no surprise there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize it is owner responsibility to check oil between oil changes. And there is an actual TSB out for the 2.4l Tiger shark engine about oil consumption. 1qt in 1500 miles is acceptable under the TSB and requires no repair actions.

And I have seem.my fair share of documented cases of people taking their vehicles to dealerships for oil consumption and being told 1qt in 1000 miles is acceptable. The ZL1 mentioned above(lots of owners with that issue) and the old Magnum engines Dodge used to us.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Pretty common. I know gm, bmw, and Subaru all have similar oil consumption limits. I believe it’s actually 1 quart every 2k miles. Ether way it’s a bit excessive.

And that’s why you’re supposed to check your oil. Plus your oil light would come on before it went dry

I've been a BMW guy for 25 years. Never heard of this issue with them. And trust me...BMW guys are freaks about oil.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a BMW guy for 25 years. Never heard of this issue with them. And trust me...BMW guys are freaks about oil.
Do a little research on different manufacturers. The LT4 engines as I've already mentioned are notorious for oil consumption, and Ford's GT350 is equally as bad. Some owners are going through as much as 1qt every 500 miles and being told it's "normal" and having to fight with manufacturer over it. Which is usually a losing battle.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It looks like this was an issue about 10 years ago. That said, I've never owned a vehicle that's consumed a noticable amount of oil between oil changes.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread