5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many are passing on 2019 deals for the new 2020 diesel option?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
to me its a personal preference, my father worked in the farm implement dealership for many years (grandfather owned it) never been a fam of diesel trucks, can make a lot of power modified, but still always sound like a tractor to me.. I will keep my "gasser" thanks. my 03 could turn the dyno rollers at 145 MPH, for a modern truck, that was fine by my, I did not need to make 1200 HP at 1200 FT/LBS TQ.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
to me its a personal preference, my father worked in the farm implement dealership for many years (grandfather owned it) never been a fam of diesel trucks, can make a lot of power modified, but still always sound like a tractor to me.. I will keep my "gasser" thanks. my 03 could turn the dyno rollers at 145 MPH, for a modern truck, that was fine by my, I did not need to make 1200 HP at 1200 FT/LBS TQ.
Like a well known YT Powerstroke shop owner says all the time about tuned diesels: "You gotta' pay to play". I used to like watching his vids (powerstrokehelp.com or something like that) just to see all the repairs/repower jobs he got from owners who put race tunes on their diesels and either blew the motor or transmissions...

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I doubt the difference is 10 mpg, not on the highway. I get 24 mpg highway in my hemi if I feather it and really try to coax every drop out of it, my brother has the old gen ED and gets about the same (though he definitely drives faster all around).

Anyway, all you need is just 1 diesel related issue outside of the warranty, and boom, cost savings are gone.

I do like how they drive, the low end grunt etc., so if you buy it for how it drives, it's a winner. If you drive it to save money, many ED owner's probably don't.
I think you are right, I was comparing my driving with 3.92 rear gears to my dad's 2018 EcoDiesel with 3.21 Gears. My dad and I have pretty similar driving styles and generally get similar MPGs in the same vehicles. On road trips we are within .2 MPG when each are taking turns driving. I also added a range for people to really look at. I am confident that the range for break even is somewhere between 50k and 90k miles. The odds of something major breaking outside of warranty during that time is extremely high.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
Like a well known YT Powerstroke shop owner says all the time about tuned diesels: "You gotta' pay to play". I used to like watching his vids (powerstrokehelp.com or something like that) just to see all the repairs/repower jobs he got from owners who put race tunes on their diesels and either blew the motor or transmissions...

I have see a fair share of self destruction videos, and a few live...

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to know just how many buyers would care about a diesel but if we go more the way of the UK and Europe, diesel is "king" there.
Our emissions standards have effectively limited diesel here. I don't see those standards being lowered going forward.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Our emissions standards have effectively limited diesel here. I don't see those standards being lowered going forward.
Are ours that much above Europe's? I don't have any idea however with the "stink" that Europe pulled over the VW emissions, I'd have thought they were at least as strict. A quick Google made it sound like EU is stricter... https://www.etags.com/blog/comparing-emission-standards-laws-us-eu/
"
Emission Standards in EU
Emission laws in European countries are more robust and all encompassing. The EU directive on the reduction of noxious emissions from vehicles, which was introduced in 1992, has been revised continuously to accommodate recent developments in the transport sector. The stringent nature of these directives has led to a significant drop in vehicle emissions over the years."

rlc2020

Reaction score
I will be passing on all Ram deals, until they get the HVAC issues fixed. No way I'll buy a 40K to 60K truck, that has crappy AC. I was strongly considering a 2019 2500 or 3500. However, with all the poor AC issues popping up, I'll be holding off.

RamCares, if you're reading this, take note. I was set on a new 2019 Ram, until the AC issues s
No HVAC issues with mine. No issue with the Big Horn 2019 loaner I had last month either. Wouldn't just testing the AC during the test drive rule out this issue? It's certainly not widespread enough to rule out buying any Ram product and change brands entirely...

Also, I turned down a 2018 ecodiesel leftover in favor of my 2019 laramie Hemi. And trust me, I could have had that ED for under 33k brand new on a 52k sticker price. I used to be a huge diesel fan and owned several over the years, but it just doesn't make sense anymore with the advancement in gas mpg and the introduction of neutering emissions systems on the diesels.

ldoh

Reaction score
Also, I turned down a 2018 ecodiesel leftover in favor of my 2019 laramie Hemi. And trust me, I could have had that ED for under 33k brand new on a 52k sticker price. I used to be a huge diesel fan and owned several over the years, but it just doesn't make sense anymore with the advancement in gas mpg and the introduction of neutering emissions systems on the diesels.

Arguably, FCA's previous gen ED hasn't been a model of reliability and the EPA tuning debacle didn't help matters. That 5ish year production run had a continuous black cloud hovering over it. Now some owners are complaining about poor fuel economy and poor throttle response since getting the EPA approved tune. There's at least one high volume Ram 1500 dealer that can't seem to unload their 2019 EDs.

But there are slick changes these days with diesel emission system designs - less wasted fuel for regens and possibly less intake soot clogging. Even the new ED has been updated. Of course time will only tell how well they work but GM had some good reviews.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are ours that much above Europe's? I don't have any idea however with the "stink" that Europe pulled over the VW emissions, I'd have thought they were at least as strict. A quick Google made it sound like EU is stricter... https://www.etags.com/blog/comparing-emission-standards-laws-us-eu/
"
Emission Standards in EU
Emission laws in European countries are more robust and all encompassing. The EU directive on the reduction of noxious emissions from vehicles, which was introduced in 1992, has been revised continuously to accommodate recent developments in the transport sector. The stringent nature of these directives has led to a significant drop in vehicle emissions over the years."
EU standards differentiate between gas and diesel and allow more emissions on diesels. The US has a single standard that applies to both gas and diesel engines.

There's a PDF that looks at the differences: Comparison of EU and US car emissions legislation

The European standards have been playing catch-up to the US. They allow twice the amount of NOx than the US.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
EU standards differentiate between gas and diesel and allow more emissions on diesels. The US has a single standard that applies to both gas and diesel engines.

There's a PDF that looks at the differences: Comparison of EU and US car emissions legislation

The European standards have been playing catch-up to the US. They allow twice the amount of NOx than the US.
ok thanks for the info.
You still in HR? I have family in Parker.

Users who are viewing this thread