5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many are passing on 2019 deals for the new 2020 diesel option?

RAMpage

Reaction score
I get the same 10L/100km avg in my 5.7 as I did with the ED on the same stretch of highway (not including the city parts).

When combining city and highway they were both around 13.

Oil changes in the ED were every 8,000-10,000 because of the mix city/highway.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you like turbo lag then an eco diesel might be right for you. :ROFLMAO:

I traded my '14 Hemi to get into a '17 ED and traded that to get my '19 5.7. Ain't goin' back to diesel as long as they have to run all that emissions garbage on 'em.

For mixed driving in town and due to a lot of shorter trips to and from the gym and work, the semi is getting better mileage for me than the ED did.

Agreed. The turbo lag on the ED is crazy. First time I drove my dad's I couldn't believe it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turbo lag like that would be a downer. My F150 had a little (2.7) but not all that noticeable. The updated 2.7 has even less I hear.

ldoh

Reaction score
It isn't for everybody but many ED owners swear by GDE for turbo lag, reducing/eliminating regens, and reducing soot build up.

Turbo technology is always improving. Of course turbos add efficiency and less power loss at elevation. I don't think we will see nonturboed diesels any time in the future.

I'm not a fan of small displacement direct injected turbo engines. They might have the worst characteristics of all - turbo lag, higher rev power band, buzzy drivetrain, oil dilution, ...

spaightlabs

Reaction score
It isn't for everybody but many ED owners swear by GDE for turbo lag, reducing/eliminating regens, and reducing soot build up.

Turbo technology is always improving. Of course turbos add efficiency and less power loss at elevation. I don't think we will see nonturboed diesels any time in the future.

I'm not a fan of small displacement direct injected turbo engines. They might have the worst characteristics of all - turbo lag, higher rev power band, buzzy drivetrain, oil dilution, ...

GDE definitely brings out the best in the EcoD, but: 1) it's expensive...$750 tune and 2) they will tell you all day long that the dealer can't detect it blah blah blah so not to worry about voiding your warranty, but they also won't commit to standing in for the warranty if it is detected and a warranty claim is denied...no thanks.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
GDE definitely brings out the best in the EcoD, but: 1) it's expensive...$750 tune and 2) they will tell you all day long that the dealer can't detect it blah blah blah so not to worry about voiding your warranty, but they also won't commit to standing in for the warranty if it is detected and a warranty claim is denied...no thanks.
If they are willing to back It then you know its a fact. If not, they are at best, hedging their bets and at worst, deceiving you.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

Thats fine however even the 1st generation 2.7 I had was impressive.

ldoh

Reaction score
Thats fine however even the 1st generation 2.7 I had was impressive.

Yes. I test drove a 2.7 during the initial Ford traveling show roll out. It had get up and go but the sounds were kitchen appliance like.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel. Did not have a single problem. Oil change was $220 cdn at every 16,000 KM. Adding DEF approximately every 3 months at $20 per jug. Towing a 6000 lbs trailer has awesome although mine was rated to tow 7800 lbs. Mileage was correctly advertised.

Wanted something new. Got a 2019 Limited 3.92 w/ etorque. Horrible gas mileage with both regular driving and as well as towing. I am now considering trading this for an EcoDiesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good Idea

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let's see..... Diesel fuel-more expensive, Diesel initial cost-more expensive, Diesel oil changes-more expensive, Diesel fuel filters-more expensive, cow whiz-yep, smelling like a diesel mechanic everytime you fill up as well as waiting for limited diesel islands/pumps to open up to get that wonderful fragrance. ....... Nope
smelling like diesel ? YES PLEASE!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yes. I test drove a 2.7 during the initial Ford traveling show roll out. It had get up and go but the sounds were kitchen appliance like.
Theres no doubt it wasn't a nice exhaust note. At the time I didn't care about that. Now the hemi sounds soooo much nicer!

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are passing on the 2019 deals to buy the new 2020 Diesel version? I am contemplating both options of the 2019 Limited with the 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque or the 2020 Limited with the Diesel. I really like the thoughts of 32-33+ mpg. But I’ve never had a Diesel and unsure of sufficient passing power and overall maintenance costs vs the V8 Hemi. I live north of Atlanta and drive 30 miles each way to work all highway and all at highway speeds of 70+. I don’t haul anythin except trips to Home Depot or Lowes for projects. Thoughts?
I will be passing on all Ram deals, until they get the HVAC issues fixed. No way I'll buy a 40K to 60K truck, that has crappy AC. I was strongly considering a 2019 2500 or 3500. However, with all the poor AC issues popping up, I'll be holding off.

RamCares, if you're reading this, take note. I was set on a new 2019 Ram, until the AC issues started popping up. I'm now looking at 2018 and 2019 Ford Super Duties.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Purely hypothetical since I got my Longhorn last year, but I'd be one of the ones holding out for the 3.0 if I were truck shopping right now. Unless it's a dog in the real world, or unless FCA comes out with the Tornado soonish and it rocks out with both power and MPG, the 3.0 will be in my next truck when my current lease is up in 2021.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good question, I've been thinking the same. I just pulled the trigger on a 2020 Longhorn with a eTorque Hemi because I couldn't get it built with the gas V6. I drive 800+ miles to New Mexico every 2 weeks at 80 MPH with the AC on max. I just don't know if the diesel would be more economical over-all. I guess I'll wait and see in a couple years.
You'll do well with the Hemi +eTorque and the 3.21 rear axle. I roadtrip regularly and that combination gets good mileage for me. I'm really surprised how well it does for such a large and heavy vehicle.

I'm also keeping an eye on how the new diesels perform over the next couple of years. The premium cost for the diesel option can buy a lot of gas.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'm also keeping an eye on how the new diesels perform over the next couple of years. The premium cost for the diesel option can buy a lot of gas.
That's one of the things I've been tracking. Diesel where I live used to be about $0.50 more per gallon than regular, but for the past year or two it's stabilized somewhere between $0.20 and $0.30 per gallon more, with one gas station down the street being rock solid at $0.20 more per gallon than the regular they sell. At that kind of price delta, it's pretty much a no brainer for me, but if it gets back up to a $0.50 delta or more, then that's a harder sell.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the math in another thread on the subject. The EcoDiesel option is $3,000 more than the Hemi with eTorque. At $2.50/gallon, that comes out to 1200 gallons which is over 36 tanks on a 33 gallon equipped truck.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I will be passing on all Ram deals, until they get the HVAC issues fixed. No way I'll buy a 40K to 60K truck, that has crappy AC. I was strongly considering a 2019 2500 or 3500. However, with all the poor AC issues popping up, I'll be holding off.

RamCares, if you're reading this, take note. I was set on a new 2019 Ram, until the AC issues started popping up. I'm now looking at 2018 and 2019 Ford Super Duties.
The hack works well (so has been reported and documented), is low cost and not time consumingl and if that's your only/major reason to not buy, well, enjoy Fords pricing and interiors.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I did the math in another thread on the subject. The EcoDiesel option is $3,000 more than the Hemi with eTorque. At $2.50/gallon, that comes out to 1200 gallons which is over 36 tanks on a 33 gallon equipped truck.
Actually for a diesel option, its pretty affordable. While I have zero interest in a diesel, the $3k price tag isn't much when you compare what a Cummins costs...or any of the big 3's diesel options for that matter. A member gave a rough breakdown of the return on investment and figured something like 60K miles or so, not to mention a possibly better residual value when traded. Hard to know just how many buyers would care about a diesel but if we go more the way of the UK and Europe, diesel is "king" there.

Users who are viewing this thread