5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many are passing on 2019 deals for the new 2020 diesel option?

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are passing on the 2019 deals to buy the new 2020 Diesel version? I am contemplating both options of the 2019 Limited with the 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque or the 2020 Limited with the Diesel. I really like the thoughts of 32-33+ mpg. But I’ve never had a Diesel and unsure of sufficient passing power and overall maintenance costs vs the V8 Hemi. I live north of Atlanta and drive 30 miles each way to work all highway and all at highway speeds of 70+. I don’t haul anythin except trips to Home Depot or Lowes for projects. Thoughts?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow thats news to me about adding the ecodiesel. Just remember the extra weight if the diesel vs gas robs more payload, and its the payload that the Ltd suffers in already.
As far as your commute, yes the hemi e-torque wont deliver near the diesel’s mpg but with the extra purchase cost and maintenance, not sure you’d see a return on those dollars for years.
The etorque vs non etorque hemi seems to favor a reasonable return on investment timeframe, so you might be fine with that.

Are you thinking of possibly towing in the future? Theres that argument which “nominally” could be a plus for the diesel yet a “properly equipped” hemi with 3.92’s can tow more than most drivers can safely handle (based on posts Ive seen about 30 something foot 9K plus trailers being towed).

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could have gotten 30% off a longhorn and turned it down . Not buying a gas motor.

j517

Reaction score
Diesel in general sucks it cost more to maintain then gas I had 3 diesel trucks for 250`s my 2010 was good but my 12 and 15 both pieces of chips in the shop more then anything and having to buy def. Went back to a gasser and much happier

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Diesel in general sucks it cost more to maintain then gas I had 3 diesel trucks for 250`s my 2010 was good but my 12 and 15 both pieces of chips in the shop more then anything and having to buy def. Went back to a gasser and much happier

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Exact opposite for me

E.Hands

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you are passing on the 2019 deals to buy the new 2020 Diesel version? I am contemplating both options of the 2019 Limited with the 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque or the 2020 Limited with the Diesel. I really like the thoughts of 32-33+ mpg. But I’ve never had a Diesel and unsure of sufficient passing power and overall maintenance costs vs the V8 Hemi. I live north of Atlanta and drive 30 miles each way to work all highway and all at highway speeds of 70+. I don’t haul anythin except trips to Home Depot or Lowes for projects. Thoughts?
Good question, I've been thinking the same. I just pulled the trigger on a 2020 Longhorn with a eTorque Hemi because I couldn't get it built with the gas V6. I drive 800+ miles to New Mexico every 2 weeks at 80 MPH with the AC on max. I just don't know if the diesel would be more economical over-all. I guess I'll wait and see in a couple years.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I almost ordered the diesel just because I know I will be towing a camper in the future. I was amazed that RAM bumped the towing up to match the Hemi, that was what brought it into consideration for me.

Ultimately I bought a Hemi because it was close, what I wanted and I could have it now. It also fits the budget a little better.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RAMpage

Reaction score
I had the diesel in my 2015 Laramie and had my share of problems so stayed away from the ED again for the time being.
Compared to the 5.7 it replaced and the 5.7 that replaced it, gas mileage difference was barely noticeable. Never got close to the advertised mileage in the diesel (not surprising though).
If the need arises for a diesel again I’ll get the 2500 or 3500 and do it right.

It also didn’t help that 3/4 of the year diesel costs a lot more here.

I hope the ED has its issues resolved and does better this time around.

Reaction score
I had a 2015 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel. Did not have a single problem. Oil change was $220 cdn at every 16,000 KM. Adding DEF approximately every 3 months at $20 per jug. Towing a 6000 lbs trailer has awesome although mine was rated to tow 7800 lbs. Mileage was correctly advertised.

Wanted something new. Got a 2019 Limited 3.92 w/ etorque. Horrible gas mileage with both regular driving and as well as towing. I am now considering trading this for an EcoDiesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldoh

Reaction score
I might be tempted to go diesel in a year or so. Just my guess but I bet the new ED falls short of 33mpg highway. They are only adding a higher hp/tq tune and tweaking items touching the emission system. I was disappointed FCA didn't mention anything about bottom-end improvements. I'm sure the lighter chassis and lower frontal profile will help though.

The new 3L GM is inline which I prefer. Plus it has a few clever efficiency features the ED doesn't. I might be more tempted to go GM in 2021. I hear they are finally updating interiors.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let's see..... Diesel fuel-more expensive, Diesel initial cost-more expensive, Diesel oil changes-more expensive, Diesel fuel filters-more expensive, cow whiz-yep, smelling like a diesel mechanic everytime you fill up as well as waiting for limited diesel islands/pumps to open up to get that wonderful fragrance. ....... Nope

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I’ve done the math on this several times for my dad and others based on the over 50,000 miles I have put on my 2 Ram 1500 trucks with hemi’s. I can tell you that it costs me on average $.20 per mile in gas using the recommended 89 octane. Overall diesel fuel is about the same cost as the 89 octane.

Oil changes cost 2x what it costs me and then the fuel filter costs ever 20,000 miles, maintenance cost is 1.3 cents (.013) more than my ram with changing full synthetic every 5,000 miles.

We can guess that combined mileage the diesel will get about 10mpg better than a similar gas Hemi. Given the additional maintenance, we can assume that the EcoDiesel will save between $0.045 - $0.075 cents per mile. We know the diesel costs 3,000 a 4,000 more. The best case is the break even point on the EcoDiesel is 40,000 miles and worst case is 88,000 miles. The actual break even point probably lies somewhere in between. I would estimate that the breakeven point to be 65,000 miles for the purpose of making the decision in buying a new truck.

That’s also assuming there won’t be any issues with the diesel system over the gas..

Also, it doesn’t take into account resale value, there’s no evidence that the 1500 diesels are maintaining the awesome resale value that the 2500-3500 Cummins hold. I would suspect that they won’t have the level of resale value that the others have.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I had a 2015 Laramie Longhorn EcoDiesel. Did not have a single problem. Oil change was $220 cdn at every 16,000 KM. Adding DEF approximately every 3 months at $20 per jug. Towing a 6000 lbs trailer has awesome although mine was rated to tow 7800 lbs. Mileage was correctly advertised.

Wanted something new. Got a 2019 Limited 3.92 w/ etorque. Horrible gas mileage with both regular driving and as well as towing. I am now considering trading this for an EcoDiesel.

Well I’m not surprised considering you went with the 3.92. That’s a given.
The ED trucks had what - 3.2x?

silver billet

Reaction score
I’ve done the math on this several times for my dad and others based on the over 50,000 miles I have put on my 2 Ram 1500 trucks with hemi’s. I can tell you that it costs me on average $.20 per mile in gas using the recommended 89 octane. Overall diesel fuel is about the same cost as the 89 octane.

Oil changes cost 2x what it costs me and then the fuel filter costs ever 20,000 miles, maintenance cost is 1.3 cents (.013) more than my ram with changing full synthetic every 5,000 miles.

We can guess that combined mileage the diesel will get about 10mpg better than a similar gas Hemi. Given the additional maintenance, we can assume that the EcoDiesel will save between $0.045 - $0.075 cents per mile. We know the diesel costs 3,000 a 4,000 more. The best case is the break even point on the EcoDiesel is 40,000 miles and worst case is 88,000 miles. The actual break even point probably lies somewhere in between. I would estimate that the breakeven point to be 65,000 miles for the purpose of making the decision in buying a new truck.

That’s also assuming there won’t be any issues with the diesel system over the gas..

Also, it doesn’t take into account resale value, there’s no evidence that the 1500 diesels are maintaining the awesome resale value that the 2500-3500 Cummins hold. I would suspect that they won’t have the level of resale value that the others have.

I doubt the difference is 10 mpg, not on the highway. I get 24 mpg highway in my hemi if I feather it and really try to coax every drop out of it, my brother has the old gen ED and gets about the same (though he definitely drives faster all around).

Anyway, all you need is just 1 diesel related issue outside of the warranty, and boom, cost savings are gone.

I do like how they drive, the low end grunt etc., so if you buy it for how it drives, it's a winner. If you drive it to save money, many ED owner's probably don't.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was debating this as well. Coming from a Jeep SRT I wasn't ready to give up 200+ horsepower by going to a diesel. My dad had an EcoDiesel GC, while the mileage was great it was dog slow.

Yes it has tons of low end torque, but there's no denying they are slow as hell. I'm overall happy with my Hemi with etorque and the mileage keeps getting better and better.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

Whats your non towing hiway mileage?

spaightlabs

Reaction score
If you like turbo lag then an eco diesel might be right for you. :ROFLMAO:

I traded my '14 Hemi to get into a '17 ED and traded that to get my '19 5.7. Ain't goin' back to diesel as long as they have to run all that emissions garbage on 'em.

For mixed driving in town and due to a lot of shorter trips to and from the gym and work, the semi is getting better mileage for me than the ED did.

Users who are viewing this thread