5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big have you towed? w/Pics no tricks!

VernDiesel

Reaction score
BPWJ Nice looking truck & trailer. 8.5 mpg.. what is your normal cruise speed and was this a two direction average?

toyboy1980

Reaction score
@VernDiesel How’s this looking to you? No trailer with full tank of gas, and then with trailer and WDH engaged. I THINK, per your math in previous posts, I am right around 12%? I included my math. Haha. 10348169-E694-49A7-A7AB-675571185409.jpeg
01C8DA3A-E5DB-4B23-9107-02A38120D971.jpeg
8BFF46DF-3E38-4586-82F6-5B27FCD43FC4.jpeg

jsxtreme01

Reaction score
I tow a 2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB. It's a 29' 8" trailer with a 5785lb dry weight. Loaded, per CAT Scale, is 6300lbs with a 835lb tongue weight. I've been averaging 8.5mpg while towing in mostly hilly areas. I sure do wish I had gotten a truck with the 33 gallon tank. View attachment 87537 View attachment 87538
That is a good looking setup! I love the Grand Design's! Just out of curiosity, what is your payload rating? How many family members?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score

bpwj76

Reaction score
How is the sway on the 2600RB? That is my next trailer.
I'm not getting much if any sway with my WDH dialed in correctly. I had a Husky something or other at first. I never could get it to feel right with it. Couldn't get my front axle loaded back the way it would feel safe. I was at 3/4" to 1" lift in the front and not enough weight. So I drank the Propride Kool-aid and boy did that do the trick. I have zero lift in the front of the truck and I am at 3180lbs front axle whereas it was at 3200lbs with just the truck on the scale. Another thing I noticed with the Propride versus my old hitch is that when big trucks pass me in the other direction, I barely feel it at all. I do still feel the suck and push when they pass going the same direction though.

The 2600RB is pretty heavy. I am new to towing. If I had it to do over on a 1500, I would get the 3.92 rear end and the 33 gallon tank.

bpwj76

Reaction score
BPWJ Nice looking truck & trailer. 8.5 mpg.. what is your normal cruise speed and was this a two direction average?
Thank you!

My normal cruise speed was around 55-60 with a max of 65 and that mpg average was from northeast Louisiana up to central Arkansas and the return trip. It's pretty hilly. Though I could have sworn it felt like it was up hill both ways, LOL!

bpwj76

Reaction score
That is a good looking setup! I love the Grand Design's! Just out of curiosity, what is your payload rating? How many family members?
Thank you! We love it too. It is our first travel trailer and we researched it to death before we bought it.

My payload is 1494lbs and it just me and the wife. We weigh just over 300lbs together, so there's plenty of payload left.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those Grand Designs are nice. I envy that 90-gal grey water tank

I’m feeling overconfident since I got my Ram and have been eyeing the Imagine 2910BH myself.

My current TT is 31’2” long, 10’2” tall. The 2910BH being 1 foot taller concerns me more than the extra 2’9” length.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
JF19, Ideally a little more on the steer yes but he is probably in the zone so to speak with decent steer and good tongue weight it should feel right and be stable.

bpwj, "I am new to towing" Your focus is right and you describe your towing experience in a very experienced manor. (lol not chicken little my payload is falling) Pro Prop is expensive but best especially if you are only working with one truck & trailer. On the scales no WDHs work as well at dialing in your load. Nothing works better on the road either. I have used them but own the Andersen in part because of simplicity & quick easy set up regardless of the given trailer of a given day. Towing mileage.. zow. The Hemi still drinks under load. Not that it should be comparable to a small diesel but mine would have averaged 13.5 to 14.0 same trailer & trip at 65.

LongHorn, What is the weight limit of the 22" tires do you know?

bpwj76

Reaction score
Those Grand Designs are nice. I envy that 90-gal grey water tank

I’m feeling overconfident since I got my Ram and have been eyeing the Imagine 2910BH myself.

My current TT is 31’2” long, 10’2” tall. The 2910BH being 1 foot taller concerns me more than the extra 2’9” length.
Yup, you can feel that 11' 1" of height.

toyboy1980

Reaction score
JF19, Ideally a little more on the steer yes but he is probably in the zone so to speak with decent steer and good tongue weight it should feel right and be stable.

bpwj, "I am new to towing" Your focus is right and you describe your towing experience in a very experienced manor. (lol not chicken little my payload is falling) Pro Prop is expensive but best especially if you are only working with one truck & trailer. On the scales no WDHs work as well at dialing in your load. Nothing works better on the road either. I have used them but own the Andersen in part because of simplicity & quick easy set up regardless of the given trailer of a given day. Towing mileage.. zow. The Hemi still drinks under load. Not that it should be comparable to a small diesel but mine would have averaged 13.5 to 14.0 same trailer & trip at 65.

LongHorn, What is the weight limit of the 22" tires do you know?
@VernDiesel Here’s a question then, regarding that...I am currently 160lbs under stock weight on the steer axle...if I go up a position on my WDH and I wind up a little over stock drive axle weight, is that a more desirable place to be? Axle rating is 3900.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Not necessarily which ever one feels better, feels more stable. Some type of skid pad tests might prove one slightly better than the other both should be in the zone so to speak. Also one trailer might like one better than the other.

ThatThingGotaHemi

Reaction score
What's your top speed on a hard-left-turn? :)

It was about 2mph into that gas station..lol

Got her home in one piece though..wouldn't reccomend on trips more than 3.6 miles away... lol

beats the $80 delivery fee

I'm selling the wife on why we need a trailer now...

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not a 10Klb camper or 32' boat lol... but it's 1200lbs of mulch in the bed w/ no squat....those air bags are mighty fine

it also helps that Lowes is only 3.6 miles away with a topheavy load...

View attachment 87833
NICE! curious on your door jam sticker payload for your trim. ive always felt for short trips, exceeding the payload isn't the WORST thing you could do

Users who are viewing this thread