5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are the 2019's holding up?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Laramie, almost 50k miles, towed 5,000 lb trailer about 3,000 miles. I replaced tires at about 40k miles. Changed oil differential fluid, normal maintenance. Zero problems except shaky driver side mirror.
We currently have a 2019 Lone Star/Big Horn in the family. We had two of them but traded one of them off for my 2021 Big Horn. On both the 2019s, they had the shaky driver side mirror which our local Ram dealer replaced without a question. They said there was an issue with some of the 2019 driver's side mirror shaking. I'd recommend you get yours replaced before you are out of warranty.

Other than shaky drivers side mirrors, both have or did perform very well with no other issues. We did take the 2019 currently in the family in for the air conditioning TSB (A/C was cold but daughter felt it could be colder) which they performed without issue and the A/C blows much colder now.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had mine for almost 40 months and 58k miles. Only issue has been a passenger side exhaust manifold stud replacement. Other than that? It’s never been to the dealer. Awesome truck.
i feel ya

Attachments

• 1D9CC908-C621-4DDE-B4FE-0B33DB2FB4EE.jpeg
    1D9CC908-C621-4DDE-B4FE-0B33DB2FB4EE.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 58
  • BF37D66D-368E-4399-9F69-CC9F8522771E.jpeg
    BF37D66D-368E-4399-9F69-CC9F8522771E.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 57

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
45k, zero issues. Nothing failed on my 05 cr until plasticky stuff started breaking at 250k. I've been towing a heavy boat occasionally and lots of long distance trips carrying gear and bikes at 80mph. It's quiet, comfortable and awesome.

Attachments

• 20210401_112547.jpg
    20210401_112547.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 40

Rpounds

Reaction score
I too had the filling issue. More on that in a minute. First of all though, I would say that I have had nearly zero problems with the truck - 2019 BIghorn, 5.7, 3:92, 4x4, ~41000 miles now. I bought it new in December 2021. The touch screen went wonky on me once, but the dealer did some sort of magic and it hasn't happened since. I also had to replace a left head light assembly ($$$) because I hit a wild turkey (yes, we have a lot of them in the Pacific Northwest).

Anyhow, the second winter I had my truck, I started having issues filling the tank. I took it to the dealership under warranty, they kept it a week and when it was returned, I was able to fill just fine I don't know what they did, but it worked. Fast forward to this winter and the same issue has occurred. The gas pump kept clicking off after about a gallon. Rather than take it in to the same exasperatingly slow dealer, I decided to "fix" it myself.

I don't recommend this method, but it worked for me:

I took a vacuum cup - about 3" in diameter - commonly used on industrial equipment for handling various types of material like glass, cardboard, paper, etc and adapted the cup to the air nozzle from my compressor. I set the air pressure to about 30 PSI, covered the gas filler neck and squeezed the handle on the air nozzle slowly. As the air started to fill the tank, I started smelling gas - just a whiff or two. I stopped, waited for a couple of minutes and did it again. I'm not sure exactly what I was accomplishing, but it worked. Two week later now and my filling problem has gone away.

I'm going to put my flame suit on, because I know someone is going to take exception to the way I went about this. And again, I don't recommend that anyone else follow these instructions. But FYI - it worked for me.

4MO

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn purchased new 9/2019 and now have 40,000 miles on the truck. No issues knock on wood. Had planned to return it at the end of my lease but love the truck and now planning to hold on to it for awhile. Besides I started tracking things on this forum and with all the bad influences here have modified it enough that it would be a little interesting to turn it in on a lease. Given the crazy prices right now I would have bought it out of the lease regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I've got 58k miles on my 2019 Limited and I haven't had any issues to speak of other than eating a set of tires every 25-30k miles.
I paid it off in 18 months and plan to keep racking up miles until it starts to fail or I end up taking a position that gets me off the road.

Ecker56

Reaction score
I bought my RAM 1500 Laramie, 5.7 HEMI, 4x4 truck new in May 2019. The only issue I've had was very minor. The Left LED Taillight unit stopped working at 1200 miles. My truck has 42,000 miles now and I haven't had any other issues.
I get between 19.5 and 20.2 mpg, highway and city mix. I love the way the truck rides and I'm very impressed at how quite the truck is at highway speeds.
This is my first RAM truck, I was nervous about going with RAM but, I'm very pleased with the truck and will consider RAM for my next purchase.
I usually keep my vehicles 10+ years, so if I get rid of this truck sooner than that, it will be because of some issue. If that happens, I will let you know.

Stinger19

Reaction score
This is a very subjective thread with many variables however I wanted to ask.

After much reading and finding many 2019s had first generation "bugs" and various issues how are they holding up in the coming year of 2022? For those of you who own still own a 19' how has your experience been this many years of ownership? Still resolving problems? Traded up? I am curious to hear some input.

Stinger19

Reaction score

After much reading and finding many 2019s had first generation "bugs" and various issues how are they holding up in the coming year of 2022? For those of you who own still own a 19' how has your experience been this many years of ownership? Still resolving problems? Traded up? I am curious to hear some input.

I haven't had any major issues, but I have experienced the strange rubbing, grinding sound that has been reported by many others when turning right at times. I'm hoping that will have gone away after having new tires and an alignment done this week. I've also experienced some steering wheel discoloration on some of the simulated wood trim. Overall though, no drivetrain or engine issues to speak of...knock on wood. I'm only at 15.5k miles on the clock though.

Glenn54

Reaction score
We currently have a 2019 Lone Star/Big Horn in the family. We had two of them but traded one of them off for my 2021 Big Horn. On both the 2019s, they had the shaky driver side mirror which our local Ram dealer replaced without a question. They said there was an issue with some of the 2019 driver's side mirror shaking. I'd recommend you get yours replaced before you are out of warranty.

Other than shaky drivers side mirrors, both have or did perform very well with no other issues. We did take the 2019 currently in the family in for the air conditioning TSB (A/C was cold but daughter felt it could be colder) which they performed without issue and the A/C blows much colder now.
I am pretty sure I am out of the warranty period.

steveved

Reaction score
I now have 47k on my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. Picked it up in October of 2019. Runs great still. I had to have the coolant flushed and refilled. Dealer tried to say I put something in it to cause it to gel, but I have never opened the radiator or the overflow tank. At 2.5 years, the battery died, so I got an AGM from Interstate. That has been it really.

I have a few dents and dings in her because I live in a heavily wooded neighborhood and she has been hit by several large tree limbs over the years.

Looking forward to another 47k miles.

My only real complaint is how thin the alcantera is on the back seat. Had my previous Chevrolet for 4 years and my dog never punctured the leather on the back seat. This seat made it 2 years before he tore the material. Yes, I realize I should have gotten a cover sooner, but never needed it for my last truck. I plan to have the rear seat recovered this spring.

MontFla

Reaction score

My 2019 air dam deflector went out in June and no part available until September. I traded it on a 2021 e torque. I have owned many many new pickups lol. I like the e torque but turn it off when off road. I miss my 2014 power wagon 6.4 liter. I moved from Montana to Florida and the etorque helps mpg some.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had to have the coolant flushed and refilled. Dealer tried to say I put something in it to cause it to gel, but I have never opened the radiator or the overflow tank.
Weird, how did you discover that your coolant was gelled?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird, how did you discover that your coolant was gelled?
I’ve seen it on a neighbors truck…it too was a Ram and had the OAT factory antifreeze. He utilized a non-OAT antifreeze which when mixing the two will cause a gelatinous appearance which requires the system to be drained, flushed and refilled with OAT coolant.

And yes, this causes overheating of your engine and cause premature failure. The old daya of just adding any antifreeze is gone for many newer vehicles.

Last edited:

fudpucker

Reaction score

With ~30,000 miles:
weak A/C cooling
vibrating driver's power folding mirror

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With ~30,000 miles:
weak A/C cooling
vibrating driver's power folding mirror
- Weak AC cooling has a TSB out which fixes the issue.
- The vibrating mirror will be replaced by the dealer if done within your factory warranty period.

Both were done on one of our 2019 Rams and both issues were resolved.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve seen it on a neighbors truck…it too was a Ram and had the OAT factory antifreeze. He utilized a non-OAT antifreeze which when mixing the two will cause a gelatinous appearance which requires the system to be drained, flushed and refilled with OAT coolant.
I should check mine, I dumped in a bottle of Water Wetter when I first got the truck

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I should check mine, I dumped in a bottle of Water Wetter when I first got the truck
I use Water Wetter in my racebikes...never heard of using it in conjunction with AntiFreeze. Can I ask what benefit that provides?

Users who are viewing this thread