5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a proposed experiment for comparing 3.92 vs 3.21 for highway mpg...
The 3.92 gear in 8th gear is almost identical to the 3.21 in 7th gear. Load on the engine and rpm should be virtually the same. So anyone out there with a 3.21 truck could drive a predetermined highway route, at a set speed and note the mileage. Then run the same route, at the same set speed with the transmission limited to 7th gear (to simulate a 3.92).

It would be interesting to see the difference.

They'd need to lock the 3.21 trip in 8th gear to disable MDS for a more fair comparison.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding of ECO (based on 4th gen and how my truck works)

For V8
ECO light comes on whenever MDS is active. Can disable ECO/MDS by pressing (-) on the steering wheel to select manually highest gear the trans can use. If you select 8th, all gears can be used normally, just without ECO/MDS ever being active.

For V6
ECO light come on whenever coasting.

I would assume, for V8 for 5th gen, this would continue. ECO light only on when MDS is active. I could be wrong.
I think on the 5th gen you can select the eco on in the settings to come on by indication of the little green ECO light to come on in dash,but its on all the time with or without the eco checked in settings. I think The eco light just allows you to know when its engaged but its always on. I could be wrong too,but I think its works in that manner.

Swerv75

Reaction score
Bought my 19' Ram Rebel with eTorque Hemi on 9/28/18. I had numerous longer trips to take and mileage has built up fast.

Just getting ready to pass over 3,000 miles thanks to a trip from Orlando FL to Central KY and back again.

My issue: horrific gas mileage! I simply can't figure it out. My drive was 1600 miles roundtrip, not towing, with just myself and baggage in the truck.

My fuel mileage (all highway, with cruise control engaged at speed limit) on the way up = 15.0 mpg hwy, my mileage driving back tonight is 14.8 mpg. While the sticker rates the truck at 17 city/22 highway, I never expect to achieve those numbers. But 15 city/ 19 hwy is what I got on my 2011 Hemi. I at least expected that.

This is my 4th Ram, and I know something must be wrong. I'm not dragging a brake as I check brake temps, and they were cool to the touch.

MDS almost never activates and the truck downshifts on even the slightest uphill grade. At 70 mph and 1850 RPM (.392 gears), there's ample torque to never require a downshift on moderate Florida hwy grades.

I'm fearful that the eTorque motor is causing a high amount of drag during hwy driving conditions. I guess it's back to the dealer with my fingers crossed.
Just went on a 250 mile round trip earlier today on my hemi with no e tourqe and with about 500lbs in the bed and averaged 18.2 mpg on high . Was averaging 14.8 city so it went up a good amount . And I didn’t use cruise control

MCPT1

Reaction score
Did a 140 mile all highway trip today, set the cruise at 72 mph , the trip computer said 19.9 mpg, it helps to slow down, with my enclosed motorcycle trailer at 80 MPH was getting around 12

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW...I hear the change in sound when the truck goes in/out of MDS, and it directly correlates with the ECO light turning on/off. I’ve always presumed the light simply acknowledges MDS behavior.
In my experience, you are correct.

It does not. It can be simply that you're driving "economically". The light can be on without MDS engaged.
In my experience, you are wrong. ECO light has never shown for me on ANY HEMI vehicle if MDS was not active.

Kidder

Reaction score
In my experience, you are correct.

In my experience, you are wrong. ECO light has never shown for me on ANY HEMI vehicle if MDS was not active.

On my 2011 eco would be on without MDS. You can hear the change in sound with MDS.

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
I read earlier on this post about properly categorizing Engine type on fuelly. When I choose Limited I don’t have an option of 5.7L v-8 Electric/Gas. Only 5.7L V-8 Gas. Anyone know how this can be added as an option? I only see the Electri/Gas option if I categorize as a Laramie.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read earlier on this post about properly categorizing Engine type on fuelly. When I choose Limited I don’t have an option of 5.7L v-8 Electric/Gas. Only 5.7L V-8 Gas. Anyone know how this can be added as an option? I only see the Electri/Gas option if I categorize as a Laramie.
I've requested this (for all sub models, since it is only currently showing for the Laramie), but I've not received a response. So I selected "Other" and "Electric/Gas" "V8" for my Hemi eTorque Longhorn. I'll update it if/when they add the 5.7L Hemi eTorque option.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Granted, I am still in the "break-in period" but even my granny mode and all my hypermiling techniques, I cannot do better than high 13s MPG. I have not had a highway trip yet.

In my limited experience, the eco light coincides with MDS - I can hear the difference pretty clearly.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL...Just keep your foot of da gas pedal and go down more inclines and hills:) I agree on the eco/MDS in syncs.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, here's a weird one. First 1500 miles was all suburban driving (more 35-45 MPH stretches than pure city driving) and averaged 17.5 MPG. Took first road trip today to West Texas and the vast majority of it was at 78 MPH. The trip avg was 16.3 MPG.
I attribute it to eTorque but I've never gotten higher mileage in the city...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, here's a weird one. First 1500 miles was all suburban driving (more 35-45 MPH stretches than pure city driving) and averaged 17.5 MPG. Took first road trip today to West Texas and the vast majority of it was at 78 MPH. The trip avg was 16.3 MPG.
I attribute it to eTorque but I've never gotten higher mileage in the city...
When driving a 3-ton truck with short gears and slightly better aerodynamics than a barn door at nearly 80 mph, you’re using a fair amount of HP to ‘slice the air’. Even driving 10 mph slower will make a significant difference. But I agree with you...it’s a strange feeling when city fuel economy matches highway, especially in a gas guzzler.

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
I'm averaging between 17-18 mpg with mostly non-highway driving. Highway is only about 10-15% of my driving. I'm also driving for fuel economy and not hammering it a lot. When I do, I'm falling into the high 16's. When I do some highway miles, I'm usually jumping up around 18.5 mpg but don't rack up enough miles to improve on the 18.5.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
3.92 rebel crew e-torque. I’m getting 16’s. So far 90% highway miles just under 2k miles. I was definitely hoping to get close to my wrangler got. But it is what it is. My only question is, if I park in those special fuel efficient/hybrid/electric parking spaces am I gonna catch any grief? Haha

Users who are viewing this thread