5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am averaging 17.8 over 7500 miles. Just got back from a trip to NC and did 22.1 on highway with 87 grade. Non Etorque Hemi 3.21 gears.
Same here, I got between 17.6 and 18.6 when I went to Florida the day after I bought the truck, so around 1,300 mile rd trip.
This was doing 75-80 MPH all the way, and I don't have eTorque. So his numbers seem low, but then, gasoline, temperature, and driving style all affect mileage, and no two trucks will ever be alike.

City on the other hand, a different story. I expect horrible mileage due to my particular situation, where I have an extremely short commute that kills my MPG in all vehicles I've had (avg 8.5-10MPG).

737flyer

Reaction score
I read every post/replies to my orignal post. I must say, I feel better!

A couple questions came up, (answers are:)
1) my gearing is 3.92
2) Rebel 4X4
3) I drive like an old lady
4) etorque
5) city mpg is running 13.5 on evic, about 13.0 hand calculated
6) HWY mileage 14.8 - 15.0 on evic, but about 14.3 hand calculated

My observations on my 1,600 mile trip: tank of mid-grade 89 octane had worse mileage than tank(s) with 87 octane, driving it easy, or spirited wielded very little mileage differences.
My driving conditions were optimum (virtually no wind, no rain, mild to warm temperatures).

While I knew the Monroney sticker stated 17 mpg city/ 22 mpg hwy, I fully expected worse than that, but not nearly as bad as I had gotten.

I anticipated about 15 mpg city/18-19 mpg hwy. I guess now I know that was overly optimistic.

As for my dealer, I hit a dead end. I went round and round with service tech who made every excuse possible to sell me on it being normal mileage. So, looking for a new dealer.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems the 2019s posting on fuely are a little worse than 4th gens. I've been tracking fuelly for a while...2018s have ticked up from upper 14 avg to now lower 15 avg. I expect the same for 2019s. As the computer leans to be more efficient, your MPG will improve slightly.

I'm averaging 14.2 hand calculated for my truck. EVIC lie-o-meter is currently saying 17.0

Yes the fuelly numbers for the 19’s look slightly lower than previous years overall. We should also consider some factors that might be affecting that;

- the regular cab is not currently available for the 5th gen
- the v6 is only now becoming available
- many of the early builds tended to be crew cabs in the higher trims, further skewing the numbers
-lower break-in mileage?

That said, we’ve seen some unusually low numbers from several members of this forum.

Vicrafa

Reaction score
I feel I drive fairly light the majority of the time. 3.92 eTorque, 22 in rims with slightly larger tires, bed cover getting 12.1 MPG

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I have 2800 miles on mine ,non etorque, and I average 13.5 to 14 SWFL flat terrain, 2 lanes mostly. I am a bit aggressive with the pedal. That is with 89 and 392 gearing. I really don't expect much better with a full size truck. My 2015 with taller gearing averaged around 15 when fully broke in. My current truck is a 4x2 where my 2015 was 4x4 So I am expecting my average to increase over time.

Last edited:

768mph

Reaction score
In the beginning, I was getting 14.5-15 mpg with mine as well. But as the mileage increased, currently at 900 Miles, I’m at 17.5mpg. Mostly city.

I did add Chevron Techron and Seafoam mix to my tank and not sure if it’s a coincidence but my mileage jumped significantly about that time.

I’ll add a CAI, Exhaust and full synthetic oil when it’s time and it should improve.

My old 16 Ram sport 3.92 did 16.5-17 mpg with same area and driving. So it’s ahead of the game already.

rvsixer

Reaction score
I use Fuelly to track my mileage but have not seen a way to choose eTorque as an engine option so my results are part of the "Regular" Hemi numbers.
Move your numbers over from "5.7L V8 GAS" to "5.7L V8 ELECTRIC/GAS" please. We need all the etorque numbers we can get :) .

rvsixer

Reaction score
Hmmm. Looks like your truck is in a new category "V8 ELECTRIC/GAS", instead of "5.7L V8 ELECTRIC/GAS" where etorques were being tracked previously. So now we have two categories where the same V8 etorques are being tracked :( .

TimG

Reaction score
Hmmm. Looks like your truck is in a new category "V8 ELECTRIC/GAS", instead of "5.7L V8 ELECTRIC/GAS" where etorques were being tracked previously. So now we have two categories where the same V8 etorques are being tracked :( .

I had to put my Rebel down as "Other" "V8 Electric/Gas" as well. The only engine options for the Rebel were V6 or V8 in Gas only.

Brady_SS

Reaction score

I don't have that option available.
1538675570227.png

1538675579949.png

Maybe I can ask Fuelly to update their options.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I would fill it out this way:
1538675969587.png

Make sure you select cylinder type. Currently there are 2 on fuelly now: you (Brady_SS) and Kidder, who somehow got 5.7L V8 GAS/ELECTRIC to be selected.

No 3.6 have been added either, which should all be GAS/ELECTRIC. If you contact Fuelly, make sure they get that right.

The should list 3 engine options:
3.6L V6 GAS/ELECTRIC
5.7L V8 GAS
5.7L V8 GAS/ELECTRIC

Last edited:

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
One thing no one is talking about in this discussion is whether they're using E10 or 100% gas. In my experience with multiple vehicles (due to its lower energy density) E10 nets about 10% less fuel efficiency.

So, that probably explains why the OP is getting better gas mileage on 87 octane, 89 is an E10 mixture in most states.

The 3.92 gears, Rebel trim 4x4, and being loaded down with gear for a trip would help explain an additional few mpg's lost.

rvsixer

Reaction score
RE: Fuelly etorque database issues.

I contacted them, they say its a database provider issue, and will "likely" get fixed in the future. So for now, there will likely be a multitude of etorque options to choose from :( .

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing no one is talking about in this discussion is whether they're using E10 or 100% gas. In my experience with multiple vehicles (due to its lower energy density) E10 nets about 10% less fuel efficiency.

So, that probably explains why the OP is getting better gas mileage on 87 octane, 89 is an E10 mixture in most states.

The 3.92 gears, Rebel trim 4x4, and being loaded down with gear for a trip would help explain an additional few mpg's lost.
You get better gas milage with 87 octane vs 89?

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
You get better gas milage with 87 octane vs 89?

When the 89 octane is E10 and the 87 is 100% gas, yes.

Please note that I am not talking specifically about a 2019 Ram, just every single other vehicle I've ever owned that ran well on 87 octane, which from most reports from owners on this site, no ones truck has any problem with.

My Ram is still on order, sitting in Budd Yard right now.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the 89 octane is E10 and the 87 is 100% gas, yes.

Please note that I am not talking specifically about a 2019 Ram, just every single other vehicle I've ever owned that ran well on 87 octane, which from most reports from owners on this site, no ones truck has any problem with.

My Ram is still on order, sitting in Budd Yard right now.

Most of the gas at the public gas stations are 10% right? Is there one brand better than the other? I am not up to speed on different kinds of gas. My E-Torque so far is just under 17 mpg at around 800 miles in. I am hoping to get around 19 mpg. I used to be 16-17 mpg on my 2015 model.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Most of the gas at the public gas stations are 10% right? Is there one brand better than the other? I am not up to speed on different kinds of gas. My E-Torque so far is just under 17 mpg at around 800 miles in. I am hoping to get around 19 mpg. I used to be 16-17 mpg on my 2015 model.
All stations around here (Houston) are (up to) 10% ethanol.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just FYI I have the 3.92 with the V8 hemi no etorque and my average MPG is 13.4-13.6 always

Users who are viewing this thread