5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

19RebelZ

Reaction score
Welcome to the joys of the 3.92 rear end. It is well suited to 45-50 driving but poorly suited for 70+ driving. It meets EPA ratings at 60 on flat ground. I got 18.2 mpg yesterday on I-40 at 65 mph for 80 miles on rolling hills. Anything above that and it drops.
I agree 110%, first 2k miles was just about all highway and got 15.5, now I’m back home and mixed highway/suburb and mileage is going up on the line-o-meter.

Tmcb

Reaction score
I agree 110%, first 2k miles was just about all highway and got 15.5, now I’m back home and mixed highway/suburb and mileage is going up on the line-o-meter.
E Torque is not worth the extra money. I am averaging 14.8 miles a gallon. Recent hwy trip it increased to 16. 4x4 with off road package and 3.21 axle

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E Torque is not worth the extra money. I am averaging 14.8 miles a gallon. Recent hwy trip it increased to 16. 4x4 with off road package and 3.21 axle
I agree. If you drive it easy, eTorque will improve city mileage. If you don't, nothing will help except a diesel engine. Accelerating 6000 lbs quickly takes a lot of energy and gas burners are only efficient under light loads.

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
By the way Fuelly let me know this morning they added the 5.7L v8 Electric/Gas option to several of the 2019 trims including the Limited. Still noticed a couple that it is missing and asked them to add it to all. Make sure to go into Fuelly and update that if you have the Etorque, so we can all see that tracked better for our engines.

Attachments

• 89378A72-A4ED-4B3F-85B3-C5CD9081F863.png
    89378A72-A4ED-4B3F-85B3-C5CD9081F863.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 36

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
By the way Fuelly let me know this morning they added the 5.7L v8 Electric/Gas option to several of the 2019 trims including the Limited. Still noticed a couple that it is missing and asked them to add it to all. Make sure to go into Fuelly and update that if you have the Etorque, so we can all see that tracked better for our engines.
Thanks for pointing this out. I updated my fuelly to etorque. I'm getting 15mpg with 2k miles on the truck. Filled up this morning. My remote start would not even work because fuel was too low. My stated range on the dash was ~20 miles, yet I was only able to get in 28 gallons into my 33 gallon tank. :confused:

Hoping the mileage on my etorque gets better after the first oil change. However, I still think that etorque is probably helping extend the life of the brakes, and not worrying about an alternator going. I have to admit I was expecting better economy though. Cold, winter gas and remote start not helping me any in terms of economy either.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had to manually configure mine with "V8 Electric/Gas", as they still haven't added a "5.7L" version of the eTorque to the Longhorn (despite telling me that they did so a month ago). I think folks will figure it out, but it would be nice to have one chart for "5.7L V8 Electric/Gas" instead of separate entries.

I've just submitted this request to Fuelly again. It would be nice to see all V8 eTorque engines on one chart. There are currently 11 "5.7L V8 Electric/Gas" and 7 "V8 Electric/Gas" trucks on Fuelly.

Last edited:

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not just you. TFL Truck disappointed with eTorque mpg.

I am stuck around 16mpg in mix of rural/hwy driving. I have 3200 miles on mine. I was hoping to get 18 or so

768mph

Reaction score
So there is a guy that just posted on one of the 5th Gen Facebook pages that he took his truck in (E torque) and complained about Gas MPG.
They stated there was a performance code but no engine light. They reprogrammed his pcm.

His previous statement at best hwy MPG was 17 and showed a pic of him making the same trip afterward that showed 22.5mpg.

There IS a software update for eTorque motors. Go ask your dealer. I’m going Monday.

More to follow...

JoeRam

Reaction score
So there is a guy that just posted on one of the 5th Gen Facebook pages that he took his truck in (E torque) and complained about Gas MPG.
They stated there was a performance code but no engine light. They reprogrammed his pcm.

His previous statement at best hwy MPG was 17 and showed a pic of him making the same trip afterward that showed 22.5mpg.

There IS a software update for eTorque motors. Go ask your dealer. I’m going Monday.

More to follow...
Following to see where this goes ...

alow

Reaction score
That is interesting for sure. I was surprised to see the etorque numbers so low myself.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score

More to follow...
Yes Please post what happens on Monday

cruz-in

Reaction score
Given the TFL Truck video, I suspect Ram will be all over this issue.

After watching that video, why would anyone spend the extra cash for an etorque?

Interesting here is what motortrend had to say in the Truck of the Year article:
"Our Real MPG testing of the V-8 models generally falls in line with the EPA's results, but our eTorque V-8-powered 1500 Limited 4x4 beat the feds' numbers with an 18.7/22.6/20.3 score. "

Something is definately goofy with all these etorque trucks getting such poor mileage.
"

newram

Reaction score
Any update? I am taking my truck for service tomorrow and they already told me over email that there's nothing they can do to improve the gas mileage.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Any update? I am taking my truck for service tomorrow and they already told me over email that there's nothing they can do to improve the gas mileage.

there are 3 different tsb's for etorque's manufactured before 10-1 i think its safe to say there's problems with them. none quote any fuel efficiency issues, but when all 3 modules have tsb's for updates...

pcm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zral3epbzcurop1/Flash - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Updates.pdf?dl=0

hcp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/303enodjiywcev0/Flash - Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) Updates.pdf?dl=0

tcm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azokvgx8wptx7j9/Flash - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Updates.pdf?dl=0

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
there are 3 different tsb's for etorque's manufactured before 10-1 i think its safe to say there's problems with them. none quote any fuel efficiency issues, but when all 3 modules have tsb's for updates...

pcm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zral3epbzcurop1/Flash - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Updates.pdf?dl=0

hcp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/303enodjiywcev0/Flash - Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) Updates.pdf?dl=0

tcm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azokvgx8wptx7j9/Flash - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Updates.pdf?dl=0
Good luck and let us know if they do them and the results of mpg. The dealers I have found don’t want to do any of these TSB’s unless the symptoms are specifically mentioned. I baby my limited and get 15.2 mixed (hand calculated) through the first 2000 miles. That is 4 less than I expected. That is probably 70 city /30 highway in Pittsburgh , PA. That seems to be the norm out there for many, so hope Ram addresses soon.

Last edited:

Hammer1

Reaction score
I have 800 miles on my truck with e torque and now the evic says 17.5 mpg avg. It keeps climbing so I'm pretty happy. Only the second tank

S

Smashy71

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated my fuelly to etorque. I'm getting 15mpg with 2k miles on the truck. Filled up this morning. My remote start would not even work because fuel was too low. My stated range on the dash was ~20 miles, yet I was only able to get in 28 gallons into my 33 gallon tank. :confused:

Hoping the mileage on my etorque gets better after the first oil change. However, I still think that etorque is probably helping extend the life of the brakes, and not worrying about an alternator going. I have to admit I was expecting better economy though. Cold, winter gas and remote start not helping me any in terms of economy either.

More than likely your last tank made the tank average go down while only showing 20 miles left. When I hauled my Tahoe on a 20ft trailer 1900 miles my average tank was 280.

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
Interesting video. I obviously don’t expect great gas mileage from my Rebel, although am also missing the estimate by a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread