5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

S

Smashy71

I just finished a trip towing 1,800 miles from northeast Oklahoma to north Idaho. I have a 19 rebel crew cab non etorque with airride 3.92 gears. I towed a 20ft dovetail trailer loaded with a 97 Tahoe lifted 4 inches 4x4(2door). I had the cab and the bed filled with items plus the Tahoe was jammed packed too. My overall mpg was 9.8. I thought that was pretty decent considering all the weight. My average speed was 70-75 and through the mountain passes 60-70mph. It had 770 miles when I started the tow.

Joekid

Reaction score
My Etorque hemi with 3.92's, In the new York city suburbs, I'm averaging 12 miles a gallon. Hwy is at 15-16 miles, It's not what I expected at all. Can not having a bed cover really make that much a big difference?

citpyrkf

Reaction score
So I am still on my first tank of gas, also with an etorque and 3.92, and I am getting around 15.5 in mixed driving, after about 170 miles. I don't feel like have sat with the truck idling a lot. I'm hoping its just a break in period. Anyone one else see poor initial MPG? How long can we expect it to last?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I am still on my first tank of gas, also with an etorque and 3.92, and I am getting around 15.5 in mixed driving, after about 170 miles. I don't feel like have sat with the truck idling a lot. I'm hoping its just a break in period. Anyone one else see poor initial MPG? How long can we expect it to last?
Yes, it needs to have time to break in. After around 5,000 miles or so mine increased. Around 1-2 mpg or so consistently.

RAM1500_SoCal

Reaction score
I have 3.92 with the eTorque and I’m averaging 13.6 MPG city. I recently took a trip to Baja, about 500 miles, and averaged 16.7 MPG. I was doing about 70-80 MPH most of the way and was dealing with winds. Only have 800 miles so it might improve. If not, these results are a little better than my 2016 4Runner and I’m ok with that.

Last edited:

Sooliman

Reaction score
I’ve owned many trucks (all new), including ones from Ford (V8 and EcoBoost), Chevy and Ram. I drive moderately, I use the cruise control on the highway, and I still find time to mash the throttle and have fun. No truck, ever....has returned more than about 15mpg over the long term. It’s not a tank to tank average, you need to look at it over the long term. 5000-6000lb vehicles aren’t going to sip fuel, or return 20+ mpgs in real world driving with the current technologies available. Enjoy the truck, and suck up the extra few hundred dollars a year it costs to fuel them up.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, here's a weird one. First 1500 miles was all suburban driving (more 35-45 MPH stretches than pure city driving) and averaged 17.5 MPG. Took first road trip today to West Texas and the vast majority of it was at 78 MPH. The trip avg was 16.3 MPG.
I attribute it to eTorque but I've never gotten higher mileage in the city...
Welcome to the joys of the 3.92 rear end. It is well suited to 45-50 driving but poorly suited for 70+ driving. It meets EPA ratings at 60 on flat ground. I got 18.2 mpg yesterday on I-40 at 65 mph for 80 miles on rolling hills. Anything above that and it drops.

meltedcheez

Reaction score
I'm averaging about 14.5- 15 in city and short commute. On longer trips (above 500 miles) I usually see it in the 18s. Have not even come close to 20 since the purchase. I have 6,500 miles on it and no change in gas mileage after 5,000.

S

Smashy71

I’ve owned many trucks (all new), including ones from Ford (V8 and EcoBoost), Chevy and Ram. I drive moderately, I use the cruise control on the highway, and I still find time to mash the throttle and have fun. No truck, ever....has returned more than about 15mpg over the long term. It’s not a tank to tank average, you need to look at it over the long term. 5000-6000lb vehicles aren’t going to sip fuel, or return 20+ mpgs in real world driving with the current technologies available. Enjoy the truck, and suck up the extra few hundred dollars a year it costs to fuel them up.

Well said. You don’t buy a truck for fuel economy you buy it because you want it for it’s capabilities.

ponypride

Reaction score
I have a Laramie with a 3.21. Have about 2,000 on the truck. On a 650 mile straight drive I averaged 22.6 MPG. In an 80% highway situation averaged 19 MPG. 100% local driving averaged 14 MPG.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Laramie with a 3.21. Have about 2,000 on the truck. On a 650 mile straight drive I averaged 22.6 MPG. In an 80% highway situation averaged 19 MPG. 100% local driving averaged 14 MPG.
Thanks. That is in line with a 3.21 axle truck's ratings. The 3.92 is typically found on the heavier 4WD trucks.

citpyrkf

Reaction score
Well said. You don’t buy a truck for fuel economy you buy it because you want it for it’s capabilities.
Yeah, I get that. My only issue is I dropped a good chunk of change on eTorque, and I am not seeing the benefits. You can't or shouldn't say you can get 19 combined if that's not the case. And if you are going to drop 2 MPGs from going from a 3.21 to 3.92, it should be called out. I'm not worried at this point. Its early, and I think the dealer put regular gas in it, not the recommended mid-grade stuff, which I think will make a difference. Good info share by everyone here.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. My only issue is I dropped a good chunk of change on eTorque, and I am not seeing the benefits. You can't or shouldn't say you can get 19 combined if that's not the case. And if you are going to drop 2 MPGs from going from a 3.21 to 3.92, it should be called out. I'm not worried at this point. Its early, and I think the dealer put regular gas in it, not the recommended mid-grade stuff, which I think will make a difference. Good info share by everyone here.

Keep driving it and you'll see them. It's still weird for me to get 16.5 on a long trip (doing 75-80) and then my city mileage is slowly creeping up to almost 18 MPG. I still chuckle that the city number can be higher but that's all eTorque.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score

Methinks you'll be disappointed in the difference in mpg between 87 and 89 unless your dealer just straight up put bad gas in it.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I have the 4x4 Laramine 5.7 vvt
No etorque
But my dash states 13.7-14.9 avg
Hwy at 15mpg.
Like wtff
Thankfully fuel cost isn't a issue to me but man that's baddd.
And this is with stock tires/wheels
Wait till the lift and aftermarket wheels happen. Probably like 11 mpg
I need to run my own calcs tho, I don't trust that average fuel mileage the computer dictates..

citpyrkf

Reaction score
I just reached out to my dealer and he stated there is an issue with truck calculating MPG. Software update should address this. I will post more info when I hear back tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread