5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

kdnyegaard

Reaction score
I agree this seems low. The Etorque Hemi models are getting nearly 2 mpg better mileage over the non ET Hemi, based on Fuelly numbers. The technology adds weight, so when doing long highway trips, there may be a drop over a similarity equipped non ET. The technology shines brightest in city driving.

Let us know what the dealer finds. Also, consider signing up with Fuelly to track mileage and add to the body of knowledge about the new technology.

I have a 5.7 Hemi with eTroq . I am at 1,300 miles and I get an average of 15.3 MPG which is 3 MPG worse than my 2017 RAM Hemi 5.7. What gives?

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I may have everyone on this thread beat. I am averaging 8.3 mpg after ~500 miles on my etorque. That’s mostly exurban roads with no lights and generally no cars, driving conservatively.

I’ll be refueling and resetting the trip meter tomorrow and paying close attention for when I make the trek to the dealer.

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
Maybe the etorque is putting way too much drag recharging itself on the hemi? 130lbs of torque could either be working itself against us with drag more then helping

Troop2865

Reaction score
It has probably already been said, but do not trust what the computer in the truck says you are getting for MPG. My truck said I got 14.9 on a tank. Hand calculated was 17.9. They usually lie the other way.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hand calculated mine last tank and it was within 3/10ths of a MPG, pretty close.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe the etorque is putting way too much drag recharging itself on the hemi? 130lbs of torque could either be working itself against us with drag more then helping
I doubt it. It has a little more inertia than an alternator but it's an DC brushless service so it spins as free as anything else. The electric load is no different than an alternative unless it's regenerative breaking.

josepy121380

Reaction score
400 miles on my new 19 etorque. 11.2 to 12 mpg. Came from a Sierra. Not very happy at the moment. If its not better after this tank of fuel its going to the dealer. I have a crew cab black edition big Horn. I love the truck other than the Mileage.

Last edited:

Micko24

Reaction score
Let us know what your dealership says about the gas mileage issues, if you ever go.

cruz-in

Reaction score
"The electric load is no different than an alternative unless it's regenerative breaking. "

I think that is the point being made by the poster. They are theorizing the etorque system is in regenerative braking mode (when it should not be) and putting a drag on the engine.

josepy121380

Reaction score
If anything I would think it would be do the regenerative braking creating drag.

I feel a drag on the truck. When I'm going down a hill I will slowly lose speed. Truck does not free roll. I always feel like something is dragging and I have a small vibration and a audible howl every once in a while. I am calling the dealer today. I don't want it to get worse if I keep driving it.

cruz-in

Reaction score
With 600 miles on mine, the "eco" mode (cylinder deactivation) is coming on more and more...my 10 mile round trip to work (city driving with about 8 stop lights each way) has improved from 12 to 14 . I drive pretty conservative.

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
Dealer came and grabbed my truck from my office and gave me my Sierra that i traded in as a loaner. LOL They said it should be not be getting that ****ty of mileage so I will report back what they find or do not find.
When reading the TSB notes for TCM update of October 23rd it shows the following enhancements are included which seems as if it addresses some of the dragging we all feel and likely affecting fuel efficiency.

Attachments

• 31B6DE0E-EB40-427D-AE36-35A264D983EC.png
    31B6DE0E-EB40-427D-AE36-35A264D983EC.png
    529 KB · Views: 103

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@josepy121380 - Sorry if this was already addressed, but what was the build date of your truck? I know there are 3 different TSBs for eTorque and engine and transmission control modules, but don't know if they might apply in your case.

I hope they get it worked out for you. I've had no surprises on the mileage that I've been getting, and the numbers are getting better as I continue to break-in the engine. I absolutely love my new truck and I'm hoping they can make you happy with yours.

josepy121380

Reaction score
@josepy121380 - Sorry if this was already addressed, but what was the build date of your truck? I know there are 3 different TSBs for eTorque and engine and transmission control modules, but don't know if they might apply in your case.

I hope they get it worked out for you. I've had no surprises on the mileage that I've been getting, and the numbers are getting better as I continue to break-in the engine. I absolutely love my new truck and I'm hoping they can make you happy with yours.

I will have to look the build date up. They said that there is an update to flash so hopefully that takes care of it as I truly do enjoy this over my sierra.

josepy121380

Reaction score
When reading the TSB notes for TCM update of October 23rd it shows the following enhancements are included which seems as if it addresses some of the dragging we all feel and likely affecting fuel efficiency.

Thanks I hope this is the issue.

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
Thanks I hope this is the issue.
So I had the 3 TSB’s done this afternoon related to TCM, PCM and hybrid controller. The TSB’s are 21-050-18, 18-077-18, 08-39-18 all released 10/23/18. They immediately came up on dealers computer as Rapid response fixes that they should address. The truck now shifts a bit differently up and down and I do definitely notice it seems to roll more freely on grades and when I take my foot off the gas. I will update fuel economy after a tank or two. I have averaged 15.3 (hand calculated) through the first 2000 miles. Fingers crossed for some improvement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread