5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horrific Gas Mileage Hemi eTorque

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not surprised at all, the Rebel is a thirsty beast. FCA dropped the ball when they claim MPG numbers the same for all trims. Anyone with half a brain knows a Rebel isn't going to get the same economy as a SLT with 3:21 gears. Moving on.

NEXT!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That TFL Rebel was doing 70mph on the interstate at elevation. A turbo will have an advantage at elevation. It will be interesting to see if there's much difference once they get some miles on the truck.

Last edited:

Newguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the joys of the 3.92 rear end. It is well suited to 45-50 driving but poorly suited for 70+ driving. It meets EPA ratings at 60 on flat ground. I got 18.2 mpg yesterday on I-40 at 65 mph for 80 miles on rolling hills. Anything above that and it drops.
That makes sense. But how does that relate to the 17 mpg city estimate I have on my window sticker(4x4, crewcab, Laramie, short bed, 3.92) ? Shouldn't city mpg not be as affected by the 392 rear and the ram be able to hit this EPA estimate?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Took the refresher course on mpg from google.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mpg.....69i57j0l3.4593j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
History lesson from the 70s on the 55 MPH speed limit.
https://www.google.com/search?q=whe.....69i57j0l2.8352j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

At age 63 starting to avoid roads where 80 mph is the norm (posted 65) and people have no concept of stopping distance.
Admittedly hard to drive at 55 mph with the comforts of new vehicles. Something to be said for old vehicles.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes sense. But how does that relate to the 17 mpg city estimate I have on my window sticker(4x4, crewcab, Laramie, short bed, 3.92) ? Shouldn't city mpg not be as affected by the 392 rear and the ram be able to hit this EPA estimate?
I've been experimenting with driving styles and my 4x4 Limited Etorque with ORP gets 14-15 City when I go with the flow and pay no attention to speed, braking, etc. When I've intentionally attempted to keep the instantanious mpg readout as high as possible, I got 20 mpg in the city. Not my style but proves it is possible. Driving aggressively, I got 12 mpg.

My overall Trip A hasn't been reset since new and it's at 4300 miles and 18.3 mpg. That's probably 30/70 City/Hwy. City is suburban driving with lights every 1/2 mile or so. Highway is 2 lane 60 mph with some 4 lane 70 mph.

768mph

Reaction score
Contacted the Ram dealer, been a crazy week at work, and they stated having lower than window sticker gas mileage is not a concern.

Now, normally I’d lose my **** and go nuts but im Not too comcerned as I’m still waiting on parts being ordered and will have them do it then. I’m not making a trip of it just to see what they can do. And it sounded like the service department wasn’t having it either.

citpyrkf

Reaction score
I'm mid-way through tank 3 of gas. The first tank was i did 16.3. Second 15.5, lots of idle time showing it off and driving aggressively to break in the engine. Current tank is 17.5 and I have half a tank left. I am hoping its improving. We'll see and update everyone with my progress.

Newguy

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with driving styles and my 4x4 Limited Etorque with ORP gets 14-15 City when I go with the flow and pay no attention to speed, braking, etc. When I've intentionally attempted to keep the instantanious mpg readout as high as possible, I got 20 mpg in the city. Not my style but proves it is possible. Driving aggressively, I got 12 mpg.

My overall Trip A hasn't been reset since new and it's at 4300 miles and 18.3 mpg. That's probably 30/70 City/Hwy. City is suburban driving with lights every 1/2 mile or so. Highway is 2 lane 60 mph with some 4 lane 70 mph.
Good information. Thank you. I'll have to try being super conservative with it for a tank or two and see what I get. I'm normally slow and smooth driving in the city but not looking at the mpg gauge. I'm getting around 14-15 mpg city with 89 octane.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why does the octane number matter?
The Hemi's compression and timing are designed for 89 octane. 87 works fine but timing will be retarded if pinging is detected. Altitude, ambiant and engine temperature, and engine load are factors that may cause pinging. A slight reduction in power and economy may be noticed. It's minimal since most don't drive under heavy loads where economy would be poor anyways.

Octane higher than 89 has no benefit unless the motor is tuned with advanced timing or modded for increased compression.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
89 is Premium here. Manufacturer recommends 87. The 5.7l doesn't have unusually high compression. It's also winter, so high temps are likely not much of a contributing factor right now.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
89 is Premium here. Manufacturer recommends 87. The 5.7l doesn't have unusually high compression. It's also winter, so high temps are likely not much of a contributing factor right now.
Exactly. Higher altitude reduces compression as well. I'm sure 87 is fine there. My built Harley is prone to pinging at low altitude on 93 octane but runs great at 8000 ft. on 89 octane.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So we both understand what octane levels are about, but I'm still wondering why Newguy mentioned it in relation to his mileage.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So we both understand what octane levels are about, but I'm still wondering why Newguy mentioned it in relation to his mileage.
There is a general belief by some that octane affects economy. As long as the motor isn't pinging, that's not true.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a general belief by some that octane affects economy. As long as the motor isn't pinging, that's not true.
There exists the possibility of manufacturing tolerance leading to one engine that requires 87 to achieve optimal performance, while a "hot" build (an engine that happens to end up with slightly higher compression from the factory) ends up performing better on a higher grade. It's also possible that the computer senses the higher grades and advances timing accordingly. I started with premium (93) in my truck out of habit, and then I switched to 89. I'm a couple of tankfuls into 89 and have been consistently seeing a reduction of 1+ mpg thus far compared to 93, despite efforts to maximize economy. I did not expect to see a difference. All tanks have had approximately 10% ethanol, so I don't believe it's the determining factor.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's that whole "May contain up to 10% alcohol by volume" that makes it difficult in determining MPG and how it relates from one tank to the next.

This is without even bringing octane stability into the equation.

S

Smashy71

It's that whole "May contain up to 10% alcohol by volume" that makes it difficult in determining MPG and how it relates from one tank to the next.

This is without even bringing octane stability into the equation.

Throw an emulsifier in it.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Manufacturer RECOMMENDS 89. ACCEPTABLE is 87. Denser air does not help when fuel quality takes a nosedive during the winter.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mistake. 89 octane, which is premium here. I use mid-grade which is 87.
From the manual discussing the 5.7l Hemi;
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread