5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide: 5'7" or 6'4" bed

hoodac78

Reaction score
Since we were asked for our 2 cents, here is mine. I had a 6'4" in my previous truck (F150 Lariat). Yeah I could fit more in it. I never liked the way it looked though....felt long and cumbersome and it certainly parked that way. Did not enjoy having to park it in tight spots. I knew right away that my next truck would have the 5'7". I can still fit what I want, and it is WAY easier to park. I know Fords aren't known for their turning radius, but still. I think the look of the 5'7" is cleaner and the truck just looks 'right' to me. Anyway, all of this is a matter of perspective. It's your money, and you need spend it on what best suits you and your needs. Either way, Ram makes a really nice truck! Cheers!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your payload. Mind if I ask, do you have:
Sunroof?
Step Rails?
RamBox?
Multi-Function Tailgate?
Off-Road Package?
33-Gallon Tank?

If you have those, I can use your payload as a starting point and add back the weight of the options I may not get.

Here is my build sheet. 1317lbs payload.

Attachments

• 20210416_142551.jpg
    20210416_142551.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 44

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
👆This.

I've got a Tractor Supply 5.5' x 10' open trailer for anything that won't fit in the bed, and besides... the Yamaha wouldn't fit in the long bed either. 🤓
Sounds like you guys could have gotten by with an SUV instead of a truck if you use a trailer anytime you need to haul anything....just saying.

thewdb

Reaction score
My argument for 6'4" - which is why I have the longer bed -- is that at some point I may need to sleep in it and I'm not quite short enough for the 5'7" bed. As long as you have a trailer, that's not likely to be an issue.

My argument for the 5'7" bed is where you'll be parking. Break out a tape measure and see just exactly how deep your garage is. I'd be kicking myself forever if I bought the long bed and discovered it's 3" too long to garage it. If neither will fit or the garage is full of other stuff, disregard.

My 6’4” bed makes my truck < 3 inches too long for the garage, when the car is in there as well. I kicked myself for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOCTORD23

Reaction score
2020 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab; 6’-4” bed; eco diesel; 3.92 limited slip axle; level 1 equipment; trailer tow;
Payload = 1538#

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab; 6’-4” bed; eco diesel; 3.92 limited slip axle; level 1 equipment; trailer tow;
Payload = 1538#

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. That helps me too! I'm like a lot of Ram buyers in that I want a unicorn. Seeing all these payloads and builds, I can get a better idea of what mine might be given my option choices.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. That helps me too! I'm like a lot of Ram buyers in that I want a unicorn. Seeing all these payloads and builds, I can get a better idea of what mine might be given my option choices.
We have a thread full of payloads and the trucks that have them. I see someone post the link to the bodybuilder site for getting option weights.

I wanted pretty bad to get a REBEL. But 3000lbs of payload and an 8 foot bed keep me from wondering where to pack the pillows.

ramblin'man

Reaction score
Concur with above. I’ve had both... previous truck was a 2017 Sport Crew Cab with the 6’4. Advantages... EVERYTHING fit into that bed. Rock solid stable ride. Disadvantages... tougher to park and maneuver... worse fuel economy.
What effects fuel economy here - weight, length, both? Is there a significant difference in MPG?

Off topic
With the chip shortage, it will likely be a 2022 model, but I'll assume the bed choices are the same. Here are the details, if they help.
  • We're getting a truck to pull a 24'9", 6200# max weight, travel trailer--a Lance 2075. Hope to be taking some long trips around the country.
Love that camper - huge u-dinette with all that window view - nice interior lighting - rear awning if needed.
What did you end up with for loaded tongue weight and percentage?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What effects fuel economy here - weight, length, both? Is there a significant difference in MPG?

Off topic

Love that camper - huge u-dinette with all that window view - nice interior lighting - rear awning if needed.
I've always had a crew cab with 6'4" bed with a fiberglass topper and average 17+ in 50/50 driving with the hemi which seems in line with folks with the short bed.

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
With the chip shortage, it will likely be a 2022 model, but I'll assume the bed choices are the same. Here are the details, if they help.

• We're getting a truck to pull a 24'9", 6200# max weight, travel trailer--a Lance 2075. Hope to be taking some long trips around the country.
  • I'm going with a Ram 1500 because I like the truck and will use it for other duties, but nothing that would require a 2500.
  • We currently have a 1996 F150 regular cab with an 8' bed and I love being able to carry a lot of stuff. But, I don't know about keeping the Ford just to have for the times I need an 8' bed--I have a 4' x 8' trailer I could use.
  • Don't want the RamBox, which I believe is only available on the 5'7" bed.
  • Will be getting a crew cab (Laramie) EcoDiesel
  • Will get the air suspension

Below is a start on arguments in favor of each length. Please help me think of other things to consider. Note, the question marks indicate I'm not sure its correct.

5'7" Bed
  • More maneuverable/easier to park
  • More payload due to slightly less weight?
  • Shorter wheelbase for better breakover angle, in the rare case I get into an offroad situation where it's an issue?
  • Shorter total length for RV campgrounds--though probably wouldn't come into play that often.
  • I read elsewhere that the driveshaft is two-piece on the longer bed? (This was on the previous generation.) So, possibly fewer moving parts to break?

6'4" Bed
  • More cargo room
  • Longer wheelbase for better stability when towing?
  • Bed extender would allow for items 8' long?

Does anyone know how much payload you lose with the longer bed? That's pretty important to me. If we put our tongue weight at 12% and have the trailer at max weight, that's about 750# of payload consumed. We're not big people and our two traveling companions are beagles, but I'd like to have as much payload as possible--ideally 1350-1400#.
My payload is 1,629 with an ecodiesel & 6’4” bed crew cab. My Titan had a 6’4” bed and proved to be perfect length. With the Titan I went with king cab since I didn’t want my children to be so comfortable they wouldn’t move away. Now that they’re gone - the crew cab is better for my old fart friends.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I went with a quad cab, 6’4” bed because it’s five inches shorter overall than the crew cab with short bed. I park in the garage with the help of a tennis ball and it’s tight. The crew cab/short bed would not fit.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 6’4” bed makes my truck < 3 inches too long for the garage, when the car is in there as well. I kicked myself for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I barely fit my 5'7 bed into the 20' garage, had like 3" to spare front to back and it was a pain in the but dealing with creeping forward, hitting the padded wall, then wondering every time the garage door came down if it was "really" going to clear. Then the next house (being built) has only a 19'6" deep garage so we sold the truck.
Now my son had a 24' deep garage so he got the 6'4" bed and loves it as lumber doesn't stick out so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bro do yourself a favor. Get the 6’4 bed. I ordered a rebel and that’s my biggest fear is the little bed that’s coming with it.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Off topic

The only weighing I've done so far was with a friend's Sherline hitch scale. The trailer was fairly empty and I got 510# tongue weight (+/- for the accuracy of the scale.) That's with three propane tanks on the front and two batteries. Anxious to get the truck so we can start camping. Already made a few reservations at campgrounds.

We didn't do the rear kitchen and awning. I could regret it, but didn't see us using it.

Users who are viewing this thread