5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide: 5'7" or 6'4" bed

FlushD

Reaction score
I went with the 5'7" vs 6'4" because it fits in my garage. I've had Fords with both size beds in the past. The bigger bed is nice to have but I've been able to manage with the smaller.

nburd

Reaction score
I'm going to be the odd man out here that votes for the 5'7" bed:

1. If you ever want a truck cap it's more available and less money.
2. Since you're not getting the Ram boxes you already have a boatload of storage that 9 extra inches isn't going to make a difference.
3. If you want to park in a garage it will be easier. My truck wouldn't fit in my garage if I had the longer bed.
4. You can carry anything up to 16 feet long in a 5'7" bed with a hitch-mounted extender. I carry 16' deck boards and pressure treated lumber all the time in my "short" bed. I don't break out the extender for anything shorter than 12 feet.
5. It will be a little easier to park and maneuver.
6. Better resale; long-bed trucks are harder to sell and trade in. As handy as they are most people use their trucks for nothing but commuting or the odd Home Depot run and don't want all that extra length (because of garage, parking, etc).
Also, even though the 6'4" costs more initially, after a year, the 5'7" bed books for more and continues to appreciate over the 6'4".

One interesting fact about the 5'7" vs 6'4". I did this comparison to make my final decision. I do not haul much in the bed so the decision for me was economic.

Day 1 you pay about $300 more for the 6'4".
Year 2, The 5'7" books for $1725 more ($1227 more in trade in)
Year 3, the 5'7" books for $954 more ($923 more in trade in)
Year 4, the 5'7" books for $2215 more ($1717 more in trade in)
Year 5, the 5'7" books for $1518 more. ($1433 more in trade in)

Compared on KBB in 2020, Private party Sale, Boston, Laramie Crew, 5'7" vs 6'4". Same options.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The short 5’7” beds help make the 1500 popular

If you want/need the longer 6’4” bed, I’d rather just get a 2500 at that point

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But the 2500 doesn't ride as well. And you'd have to feed a bigger engine.

I felt the 2500 with coil springs rides pretty close to a non-air ride 1500 with coil springs

The leaf-spring 3500 is a different story

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input and new points. I'd forgotten about those hitch-mounted bed extenders.

I've never heard of longer beds being tougher to resell. Is that your observation or is it common knowledge? I've never sold a truck before.
Common knowledge. Call your local dealer or just punch it in on KBB and you'll see the difference. Longer beds are just harder to sell which is why most of what you will see is a shorter bed. There are probably a few places where that may be a little different - cattle country in Wyoming, for example maybe - but for most of the country it's true.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You've got a good list of pros and cons, as well as lots of good advice. Maybe grab a 12" ruler, put your thumb at the 9" mark, and decide if that will really make any difference in what you haul. If not, then cross that off the pros/cons list.
I like your way of thinking :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I felt the 2500 with coil springs rides pretty close to a non-air ride 1500 with coil springs

The leaf-spring 3500 is a different story
Interesting. Not at all what I've experienced. I haven't really been able to tell the difference in ride comfort between my coil spring Laramie and my wife's air ride Limited. Ride quality in both is excellent. The 2500 I test drove was nowhere near as nice as any 1500 DT I've driven, regardless of suspension.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Not at all what I've experienced. I haven't really been able to tell the difference in ride comfort between my coil spring Laramie and my wife's air ride Limited. Ride quality in both is excellent. The 2500 I test drove was nowhere near as nice as any 1500 DT I've driven, regardless of suspension.

Prehaps driving a Ford Super Duty work truck on a daily basis skews my opinion on how nice I think the Ram 2500 rides

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I noticed a slight difference between my 1500 coil vs a rental 2500 coil, but it's not jarring or horrible at all. The 2500 rides quite well, I would certainly be happy with that ride if I needed the beast in the first place.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like your way of
Also, even though the 6'4" costs more initially, after a year, the 5'7" bed books for more and continues to appreciate over the 6'4".

One interesting fact about the 5'7" vs 6'4". I did this comparison to make my final decision. I do not haul much in the bed so the decision for me was economic.

Day 1 you pay about $300 more for the 6'4".
Year 2, The 5'7" books for $1725 more ($1227 more in trade in)
Year 3, the 5'7" books for $954 more ($923 more in trade in)
Year 4, the 5'7" books for $2215 more ($1717 more in trade in)
Year 5, the 5'7" books for $1518 more. ($1433 more in trade in)

Compared on KBB in 2020, Private party Sale, Boston, Laramie Crew, 5'7" vs 6'4". Same options.
Wow, I could accept that it might be a harder sale, but wouldn't have expected the difference to be that large. I may try that here. If you set it for Boston, maybe people in my more rural area have more interest in the "medium" bed and it's not as big a difference. Thanks!

Edit to add: I tried it in my area. A 2019 Laramie with everything the same (pretty loaded) except the bed length came up with the shorter bed having a $547 higher private party value. So, not as extreme a difference as you found, but still interesting. The question becomes whether I would get $547 in value from the additional space over two years.

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But the 2500 doesn't ride as well. And you'd have to feed a bigger engine.
The mileage difference is the main thing--my truck ride quality basis is a 1996 F150, after all. I've got nothing against the 2500/Cummins at all, but it would be way more capable than I'd need 99% of the time and quite a bit thirstier.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a crew cab 6'4" box 4x4 with an ARE topper and wouldn't have it any other way. I camp in the bed frequently and haul gear all the time and those 9" are a major deal. I don't by the mpg argument as I'm averaging 17+ with a 50/50 mix and 5-6 months winter fuel. I love this combo of cc and longer box.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a crew cab 6'4" box 4x4 with an ARE topper and wouldn't have it any other way. I camp in the bed frequently and haul gear all the time and those 9" are a major deal. I don't by the mpg argument as I'm averaging 17+ with a 50/50 mix and 5-6 months winter fuel. I love this combo of cc and longer box.
I don't think anyone is claiming a long bed 1500 will be less fuel economy; I think they were only referring to the 2500s.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive owned a 2019 limited with a 6'4" bed and now own a 2020 Ecodiesel with the 5'7" bed.

I like the shorter bed better. It is noticeably easier to maneuver in parking lots, and it still has space for what I need. If youre hauling lumber or other long supplies the tailgate is going to be down with either bed.

My limited Ecodiesel has 1317lbs of payload.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m the same way, I like to camp in mine & I can camp with the tailgate up. If I had the 5’7 I’d definitely need the tailgate down.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I use my 5x10 landscape style trailer for anything big or bulky..just so much easier to load/unload. So for me I like having the best of both worlds...shorter box, so it fits in garage, and handy trailer, low to the ground.
👆This.

I've got a Tractor Supply 5.5' x 10' open trailer for anything that won't fit in the bed, and besides... the Yamaha wouldn't fit in the long bed either. 🤓

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive owned a 2019 limited with a 6'4" bed and now own a 2020 Ecodiesel with the 5'7" bed.

I like the shorter bed better. It is noticeably easier to maneuver in parking lots, and it still has space for what I need. If youre hauling lumber or other long supplies the tailgate is going to be down with either bed.

My limited Ecodiesel has 1317lbs of payload.
Thanks for posting your payload. Mind if I ask, do you have:
Sunroof?
Step Rails?
RamBox?
Multi-Function Tailgate?
Off-Road Package?
33-Gallon Tank?

If you have those, I can use your payload as a starting point and add back the weight of the options I may not get.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the 5.7' box for a couple reasons. Primary is that I love the Ramboxes, and you cannot get them in the 6.4'. If you're not opting for those, then obviously that reason doesn't apply.
Second reason is driving in tight spaces or traffic. My father always gets the 6.4' bed on his Rams (currently a 2015), and I definitely notice the longer length driving around town or maneuvering through traffic.

Thanks for posting your payload. Mind if I ask, do you have:
Sunroof?
Step Rails?
RamBox?
Multi-Function Tailgate?
Off-Road Package?
33-Gallon Tank?

If you have those, I can use your payload as a starting point and add back the weight of the options I may not get.

I have all of those except the multi-function and off-road package. Payload is 1103 lbs. I do have the skid plates from the off road package, so the slightly higher weight of the taller coils probably would not be much. I am assuming the MFG adds a few pounds, and I know the diesel does. If I had those, my payload would be even less.

Users who are viewing this thread