5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Sway Bar Purchase$$$$

obrien

Reaction score
again what a nice upgrade... Big chunk of cardboard fell from semi in front of me and I had to aggressively swerve going 80 mph. Truck was like glued to the road.

Arth

Reaction score
Got mine installed yesterday in the parking lot at work. Very easy took about 10 minutes. Very satisfied. Noticed the same as mentioned before taking corners and quick lane changes the truck feels much more glued to the road.

100% recommend. If you have access to the exchange that’s the way to go. Huge savings compared to what I see just out on the market.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Mine is on its way and I swore I saw some one posted that they installed it upside down. Is there a top or bottom orientation to this sway bar? Can it be installed incorrectly?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is on its way and I swore I saw some one posted that they installed it upside down. Is there a top or bottom orientation to this sway bar? Can it be installed incorrectly?
There is an up and down. When you remove your stock one just lay it on the ground as it is and orient the hellwig in the same way before installing. Easy peasy.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is an up and down. When you remove your stock one just lay it on the ground as it is and orient the hellwig in the same way before installing. Easy peasy.

Performance difference if it’s “upside down”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Performance difference if it’s “upside down”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not but can't prove it for sure. If installed upside down I would just worry about the bar maybe hitting the differential while
off-roading.

Amazing93

Reaction score
Thanx as I never knew of this site. I just placed my order.
Ordered mine 196.08 no tax free shipping. Thanks for the heads up. That exchange site must be old. I tried a MacBook and a windows laptop. Each time I tried to get to that site it would just take me to the main page of AAFES. I had to use Chrome on my cellphone to get to that site. How long did it take for your order to arrive after you ordered?

U

User_34235

Ordered mine 196.08 no tax free shipping. Thanks for the heads up. That exchange site must be old. I tried a MacBook and a windows laptop. Each time I tried to get to that site it would just take me to the main page of AAFES. I had to use Chrome on my cellphone to get to that site. How long did it take for your order to arrive after you ordered?
Amazing93, I ordered mine on a Sat morning and received it the following Tuesday. It was shipped from Michigan and I am in Ohio.

davidn0021

Reaction score
For those installing the bar themselves, make sure you put thread lock on those bolts for the bushing. At some point, mine must've come undone or maybe I didn't torque them enough.. Now I have one broken bushing, two bolts lost and squeaking from the sway bar, probably due to stress on the end links and the two remaining bolts. Thankfully, I can just swap out the bar back to the stock one and should still be covered under warranty.

jai91

Reaction score
For those installing the bar themselves, make sure you put thread lock on those bolts for the bushing. At some point, mine must've come undone or maybe I didn't torque them enough.. Now I have one broken bushing, two bolts lost and squeaking from the sway bar, probably due to stress on the end links and the two remaining bolts. Thankfully, I can just swap out the bar back to the stock one and should still be covered under warranty.
Did you use the original bolts or the replacement ones that came with the sway bar?

Arth

Reaction score
Assuming you used stock bolts like I did. I used my impact to snug the bolts down. I'll check mine after this weekend. Got a 1000 mile drive to make, that should be a good test.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have air ride by chance? If so, wandering if the up and down motion of the air ride worked them loose. If no air ride then I got nothing, mine are as tight as the day I put them on 10k miles ago. Hopefully you get it worked out.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I did that haha. The middle of the bar has an offset, you can definitely mess it up if you try.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Original bolts with air ride, for those asking. I'm almost certain I probably did not torque it enough. I did it the first time but I had installed it upside down so I reinstalled it and didn't re-torque it thinking my impact gun should've torqued it enough. Also wonder if I didn't put on enough grease as well.. Anyhow, picking up the new bushings today. I didn't bother swapping out the stock sway because it's wet and raining and didn't feel like spending the time for the warranty coverage of a measly $13 for the replacement was worth it. Hopefully it dries up this afternoon and I'll definitely torque it after the impact gun does its job.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Yeh think you nailed it with proper torque. Proper torque setting for suspension components (particularly lifted/leveled suspensions) is so critical to drive quality. Believe Sway bar components are 35 lb-ft. At least that's what I torqued mine too based on ReadyLift torque specs.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Ordered mine through these guys a couple of days ago. Just got confirmation of shipment. But the price has gone up (I paid $243.43) so act fast?

Amazing93

Reaction score
Mine came in today. Installed it in about an hour working slowly and answering phone calls. I put it on the middle setting. I notice a little difference buy not as much as I anticipated so I may move it in to the closest hole. Has anyone used the firmest setting yet? Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread