5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig Sway Bar Purchase$$$$

Ram Dude

Reaction score
I did, and made new sleeves!
Also when ordering if you let them know you plan to reuse OEM bolts they’ll send you end links with smaller sleeves replaced in top bushings. That’s what I did.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
This probably won't apply to everyone, but if you're military and/or have access to the Exchange website, they have an auto-parts site on an external page. It sells the Hellwig 7709 for $196. The site hasn't been updated for vehicles newer than 2017, but I figure for 196 its worth the risk that the page is old but the part is right. I figure I can always return it if it ends up being something other than what is listed.

Thanx as I never knew of this site. I just placed my order.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Sorry, got carried away in the discussion 😂. That’s with Core4x4 where I got my replacement end links from.

obrien

Reaction score
wow car is glued to the road, quite impressive. BTW somewhere I read that some people make mistake and mount it wrong/other way around. What does it mean, does anyone has example? It did not seem possible to mount it any other way.

ny2az

Reaction score
wow car is glued to the road, quite impressive. BTW somewhere I read that some people make mistake and mount it wrong/other way around. What does it mean, does anyone has example? It did not seem possible to mount it any other way.

it can be mounted wrong ... will fit either way ... it's wrong if the center of the sway bar bends are angled upward instead of the correct way downward ....

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The hump in the middle should be slightly facing downward or close to level (first pic) not facing upward (second pic).

Like this.
91CDB5D4-BF21-4F63-B907-30EC5D4374C8.jpeg

NOT like this!
Hellwig Bar.jpg

Thread below has a lot of good install info in it.

Last edited:

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The longer I have mine on the more impressed I get. Back end jump is pretty much gone when you go over a bump. While it feels much more glued to the road in really don’t think the ride any stiffer. Crazy how big of a difference this piece makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got it installed (mid-setting) and took it on a little test drive. Noticeable improvement on a couple of long sweeping curves. Glad I spent the money because it's worth it. (y)

Though... now I'm curious about the stiffest setting. 🤔

obrien

Reaction score
The hump in the middle should be slightly facing downward or close to level (first pic) not facing upward (second pic).

Like this.
View attachment 81784

NOT like this!
View attachment 81785

This thread has a lot of good install info in it.

I guess I got lucky to mount it facing straight (it does not really face down as much as OEM did). But great info and I can totally see someone mount it the other way as it gives a feeling of more clearance and it is not mentioned in guide at all.

BTW I see people reusing OEM bolds instead of those provided by hellwig. I did the same, not sure if it has any impact but prefer regular bolt over hex key

davidn0021

Reaction score
crap. need to flip mine the other way around.... well good thing I have to get down there to rewire my Putco blade anyways!

obrien

Reaction score
I wonder what can the wrong orientation cause? I am not mechanical engineer, but it is a torsion spring, it surprises me that the orientation matters.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I wonder what can the wrong orientation cause? I am not mechanical engineer, but it is a torsion spring, it surprises me that the orientation matters.
Correct. I'm not sure that it does, otherwise it would say so in the instructions.

ny2az

Reaction score
orientation matter's not so much normal street driving but only if you go sever off roading ... as you extend the suspension and the frame goes up and the wheels go down ... the upward facing bar could hit the rear differential cover and cause damage,....

obrien

Reaction score
orientation matter's not so much normal street driving but only if you go sever off roading ... as you extend the suspension and the frame goes up and the wheels go down ... the upward facing bar could hit the rear differential cover and cause damage,....
you are tempting me to jack up the truck and see how much it moves :-D

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know this is the hellwig thread and not the pedal commander thread, but just wanted to point out that you're playing with your gas pedal with that stuff. I would not buy the cheapest you can find, next thing you know the electronics go AWOL and you end up all WOT shoving some poor granny off the road.

The banks pedal monster seems safest to me. It's the only one designed with two key features I'm interested in:
- when it senses a failure with input/device, it bypasses itself and you get your standard pedal back
- it disables itself in reverse, and can disable itself at low speeds

Also it's the only one to power off the OBD2 port, whereas the others are all using the 5 volt line from the pedal sensor, which is not recommended and can give you dead pedal (you press pedal but nothing responds).

So yeah after reading all that, I bought the banks and it's coming soon. I just don't trust cheap foreign electronics.

The hellwig swaybar is a great purchase, but mine needs to be greased every once in a while or it starts creaking especially in cold weather. Have to see if I can find better D bushings somewhere.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^^what he said.

Users who are viewing this thread