5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my Hellwig sway bar on for the past year and it was starting to get that "Hellwig squeak". For anyone who might encounter this, I was instructed by two coworkers who encountered the same issue to utilize the following Valvoline synthetic grease with moly (and yes it did the job and that thing is silent again). They both recommended using it liberally by greasing the sway bar at the location where the bushings ride, the inside of the bushing and the outside of the bushing as well as the inside of the inside of the U-plate. It worked like a charm and I have plenty of grease remaining if/when it occurs again. The good thing is this grease is much more resistant to water washout:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my Hellwig sway bar on for the past year and it was starting to get that "Hellwig squeak". For anyone who might encounter this, I was instructed by two coworkers who encountered the same issue to utilize the following Valvoline synthetic grease with moly (and yes it did the job and that thing is silent again). They both recommended using it liberally by greasing the sway bar at the location where the bushings ride, the inside of the bushing and the outside of the bushing as well as the inside of the inside of the U-plate. It worked like a charm and I have plenty of grease remaining if/when it occurs again. The good thing is this grease is much more resistant to water washout:

You would have had similar results using pretty much any grease. About the only difference will be how long before needing to grease again. The grease supplies by Hellwig was a silicone grease.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would have had similar results using pretty much any grease. About the only difference will be how long before needing to grease again. The grease supplies by Hellwig was a silicone grease.
Sir, you are obviously a Husker fan...I have to strongly disagree with you simply based upon principle. Boooomer Sooooner and Hook 'em Horns! ;)

P.S. My coworkers are both Petroleum Engineers from Texas A&M who have been in the business since the late 1970’s. I’ll continue to trust their word…

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sir, you are obviously a Husker fan...I have to strongly disagree with you simply based upon principle. Boooomer Sooooner and Hook 'em Horns! ;)

P.S. My coworkers are both Petroleum Engineers from Texas A&M who have been in the business since the late 1970’s. I’ll continue to trust their word…
It's definitely a good grease to use. Don't want to use petroleum based grease on the bushings.

BMRAMAU

Reaction score
Does the Hellwig sway bar help much with towing, I have a limited with airride and noticing that it moves alot more on the highway when towing a heavy caravan compared to my other car, I am trying to stop it swaying side to side.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a suspension change has accorded in my2022.
just got back from a 100 mile winding road trip with some horseshoe curves and the truck did not sway at all.
the wife did not ever grab the oh-crap bar

so i am going to hold off getting the hellwig sway bar
and yes I can tell the difference coming from a 95 ram 2500 that did not come with any swap bar, until I put on a hellwig.

fireberd350

Reaction score
Minority here but I put the Hellwig on last week and didn't notice anything different. Limited to about 200mi experience prior and 100mi after install. Doesn't feel bad but also doesn't feel "better".

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In May 2021, there was a discussion in the link below about four or five different part numbers for sway bars across the trim level. And at least one poster indicated his sway bar on his factory air suspension Ram was solid (not hollow) and heavier (See post 327 and on). Perhaps for the 2022 MY, Ram went with a beefier rear sway bar?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Minority here but I put the Hellwig on last week and didn't notice anything different. Limited to about 200mi experience prior and 100mi after install. Doesn't feel bad but also doesn't feel "better".
Which hole position did you use?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In May 2021, there was a discussion in the link below about four or five different part numbers for sway bars across the trim level. And at least one poster indicated his sway bar on his factory air suspension Ram was solid (not hollow) and heavier (See post 327 and on). Perhaps for the 2022 MY, Ram went with a beefier rear sway bar?

The bar on my Limited was beefier than the ones I've seen people take off their non-air suspension trucks, but the Hellwig was still even thicker and heavier and I still noticed a marked improvement.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The bar on my Limited was beefier than the ones I've seen people take off their non-air suspension trucks, but the Hellwig was still even thicker and heavier and I still noticed a marked improvement.
Agreed. I provided a weight comparison a couple of years ago…too lazy to search for it just now ;)

Gitchapull

Reaction score
I put my Hellwig on today. I have the 2” lower Maxtrac springs so I have been waiting on the Core 4x4 2” shorter end links. (Great people by the way) Everything came out and went in easy.

For anyone with the Maxtrac springs, Core 4x4 is now providing a smaller bushing insert for the top so you can re-use your factory bolt. (A much easier alternative than drilling a larger hole through the frame for their larger bolts)

I used the Corre bolts on the lower link and the factory bolts back in the D mounts.

You can see in the pictures how much beefier the Core links are. I went middle setting but will probably go to the tightest. Overall, a much more stable and better cornering truck

Attachments

• 9E310506-31EF-4AC2-9EFE-F419C8825D40.jpeg
    9E310506-31EF-4AC2-9EFE-F419C8825D40.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 108
  • D9319980-B619-4171-B46D-CB5D29E30238.jpeg
    D9319980-B619-4171-B46D-CB5D29E30238.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 111
  • CF9517E6-7491-45BB-88A8-2471CE749A9A.jpeg
    CF9517E6-7491-45BB-88A8-2471CE749A9A.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 106

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I put my Hellwig on today. I have the 2” lower Maxtrac springs so I have been waiting on the Core 4x4 2” shorter end links. (Great people by the way) Everything came out and went in easy.

For anyone with the Maxtrac springs, Core 4x4 is now providing a smaller bushing insert for the top so you can re-use your factory bolt. (A much easier alternative than drilling a larger hole through the frame for their larger bolts)

I used the Corre bolts on the lower link and the factory bolts back in the D mounts.

You can see in the pictures how much beefier the Core links are. I went middle setting but will probably go to the tightest. Overall, a much more stable and better cornering truck
Looks like you put it on upsidedown.

Users who are viewing this thread