5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cripes, glad I bought mine a year and a half ago for $220 from Amazon. Now they have it for $310 . Inflation or supply and demand?

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
For the record, this is not the same truck I bought. It drives twelve times smaller than it did yesterday. Hellwig are performing witchcraft and I pray Jesus doesn't stop them. I have no idea how something so small can make such a big difference. Of course, I've been told that a time or two about myself...

Last edited:

Cda3488

Reaction score
For the record, this is not the same truck I bought. It drives twelve times smaller than it did yesterday. Hellwig are performing witchcraft and I pray Jesus doesn't stop them. I have no idea how something so small can make such a big difference. Of course, I've been told that a time or two about myself...
Do you get any benefits if you don’t pull anything??

Cda3488

Reaction score
There are literally 15 pages of testimonials from people installing this. Other than some having fitment issues with incorrect brackets or the holes not being the right size, I don't think I've seen a single negative review.
How does it drive so differently is my queation??

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Body roll vs less body roll…

All explained in this thread, over and over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Do you get any benefits if you don’t pull anything??
Oh definitely. I rarely tow and it's a huge difference just in general road feel. We have a lot of uneven roads here and it's incredible how much less body roll there is. The bed used to feel like a boat anchor but now it feels planted.

Cda3488

Reaction score
Oh definitely. I rarely tow and it's a huge difference just in general road feel. We have a lot of uneven roads here and it's incredible how much less body roll there is. The bed used to feel like a boat anchor but now it feels planted.
Why do you think Ram do something about this?!?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was pretty skeptical at first but all the truck nerds on here would not shut up about it lol so I was like allllright, I guess I'll give it a shot yeah EXTREMELY noticeable.

Where it really shines, I think, is not going into or in the middle of turns/curves, but coming out of them. Before there was a small but very noticeable lurch, where it felt like there was a quarter second delay between when you came out of the turn/curve, and when the bed of the truck caught up with the rest of it. Almost as if you were towing something, but it's just your own @$$.

After this thing (middle setting), that's completely gone. Whole truck feels like one solid, well planted unit.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think if you put "doesn't" between "Ram" and "do" it makes sense.
Even then, what is he expecting? These trucks come with rear sway bars from factory that work good and do what they are supposed to. I'm sure if they installed a stiffer sway bar from factory there would be complaints about the ride quality as most people aren't used to stiff handling.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
I just finished installing the Hellwig 7709 sway bar on my 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed 3.92 rear axle with 3,300 miles. It took me about 1 1/2 hours including gathering and putting up my tools. I used the middle hole after checking to make sure it was big enough, which it was. It was about 40 degrees F outside so I had to go in and heat up the Hellwig poly bushing with a hair dryer to pull them apart easier. I used some marine synthetic polymer EP grease , Omni Green Grease, I already had to lubricate the bushings rather than the synthetic grease provided. I also reused the hex head bolts to attach the brackets back to the axle, but had to make sure the bracket was centered for the socket to get on the bolts good. I took a short drive, it felt firmer, but really didn't test it out on some curves.
Tools used: 8mm socket, 15mm socket, 3/8 and 1/2 wrenches, and an 18mm 'go thru' socket with wrench, and a dead blow hammer to initially loosen the bolts.
I towed my 34 foot, 7500# GVW TT about 4 times this past year with a 4 Way Equalizer Hitch (square bar) and Air Lift 1000HD (inside the coil spring) 2,100# capacity filled to 45psi. I had about 700# in the truck bed each time and felt I needed a little more sway control. This Hellwig should do the trick.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Why do you think Ram do something about this?!?
there is a sway bar already on the truck
but
it is set on the soft side
if you read all the posts some have flatten the factory bar about two inches or so from the end and drilled another hole and this helps a lot.

until you drive a truck with a tighter sway bar you will never know the difference
way back in 1995 these trucks did not even have a sway bar and you could really tell the difference when one was installed.

Cda3488

Reaction score
there is a sway bar already on the truck
but
it is set on the soft side
if you read all the posts some have flatten the factory bar about two inches or so from the end and drilled another hole and this helps a lot.

until you drive a truck with a tighter sway bar you will never know the difference
way back in 1995 these trucks did not even have a sway bar and you could really tell the difference when one was installed.
Thank you, that’s helps the ignorant lol(me)

Users who are viewing this thread