5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

Ontopofit

Reaction score
I intend on installing one however soon I can get one, but I wanted to go ahead and install my 3.5” Front and 2.5” rear lift now. Does anyone know if I can get away with putting the stock sway bar/links back with the 2.5” of lift in the rear for a little while until I can get the hellwig delivered or am I flirting with breaking the links right away?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I intend on installing one however soon I can get one, but I wanted to go ahead and install my 3.5” Front and 2.5” rear lift now. Does anyone know if I can get away with putting the stock sway bar/links back with the 2.5” of lift in the rear for a little while until I can get the hellwig delivered or am I flirting with breaking the links right away?
The stock links will work, just won't be ideal for improved handling. You will need longer end links to match the lift.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it were me I’d get the longer end links, at 2.5” you’ll be stressing the heck out of those ball joints on the stock end links but it’ll probably work for a while

Ontopofit

Reaction score
If it were me I’d get the longer end links, at 2.5” you’ll be stressing the heck out of those ball joints on the stock end links but it’ll probably work for a while
I intend to, just gotta get one! They go out of stock quick

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Anyone try just drilling another hole in the stock swaybar? I know the hellwig is a bit more heavy duty.. but if putting it on the stock setting (rear hole) pretty much feels stock.. then I would assume drilling the stock swaybar would stiffen it up just the same? And free :)

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Drilling a hole in the stock bar would be a hack job. Get the Hellwig, it won't disappoint

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Well i decided i would just go ahead and be the Guinea pig here… Went ahead and dropped the bar on my lunch hour and take a look. Pretty easy job. You will need a shop press to flatten the tube to allow extra room for the second hole. but after that its cake. Took it for a ride through the twisty roads behind the shop. BIG difference from stock. Rear stays planted, but the best part is I’m no longer flopping around in the cab as much. I will stiffen up the front a bit and call this done. Not sure how the Hellwig feels, but I wouldn’t want it any stiffer. So I’m happy.
1AB3AC2B-1BD9-438C-85B0-84809C4A2565.jpeg F14EB705-4524-4940-AD0F-99A5DB41690E.jpeg 4DA9C444-66C8-4C90-8FD5-E7D1B32E72CA.jpeg E4B4D094-BAA0-46B1-AC10-650F1A1136EA.jpeg 93EA85C6-2D16-444E-9C70-B0A90558AB06.jpeg B1C22DFB-A04A-4D38-9F4B-79BB683907E7.jpeg

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well i decided i would just go ahead and be the Guinea pig here… Went ahead and dropped the bar on my lunch hour and take a look. Pretty easy job. You will need a shop press to flatten the tube to allow extra room for the second hole. but after that its cake. Took it for a ride through the twisty roads behind the shop. BIG difference from stock. Rear stays planted, but the best part is I’m no longer flopping around in the cab as much. I will stiffen up the front a bit and call this done. Not sure how the Hellwig feels, but I wouldn’t want it any stiffer. So I’m happy.
View attachment 110197 View attachment 110198 View attachment 110199 View attachment 110200 View attachment 110201 View attachment 110202
Defintely not a hack job, nice work!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
View attachment 110202
how many inches from center of first hole to center of second hole?

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Thanks!
how many inches from center of first hole to center of second hole?
Looking at the pics of the Hellwig they are 1” apart on center. So i did the same, 1” center to center. That keeps the connecting rod at a good angle, so not to put much more stress on that part.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still a hack job. Steel is now weakened at the point he crushed it and drilled a hole through. You can see the difference between the factory area and where he made his hole. Nothing I would trust to not crack/corrode over time

brenan00

Reaction score
View attachment 110197 View attachment 110198 View attachment 110199 View attachment 110200 View attachment 110201 View attachment 110202
Great job and thinking.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Still a hack job. Steel is now weakened at the point he crushed it and drilled a hole through. You can see the difference between the factory area and where he made his hole. Nothing I would trust to not crack/corrode over time

Process is the same as OEM manufacturing process. They are all “crushed” on a press. Just a different location. I highly doubt they are heat treating or normalizing these parts. Even so the bar itself is made to flex. Been welding fabricating for 20+ years, i know a bit about metallurgy. This isn’t rocket science. And the stock bar already had signs of corrosion On a year old truck.Part of life here in the Midwest. No avaoiding that.
Could i have done a better job? Sure, but i was just testing a theory. And if it turns out to be **** over time.. like ferraiolo1 said. “Just replace it” But i have no issue trusting my precious cargo on this bar. In the mean time, I’m gonna go spend my 300 bucks on an Amp. lol. No disrespect bud, just my opinion. 👍

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Thanks!

Looking at the pics of the Hellwig they are 1” apart on center. So i did the same, 1” center to center. That keeps the connecting rod at a good angle, so not to put much more stress on that part.
how about keeping us informed of how this is working out for you and what kind of wear you get if any.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
how about keeping us informed of how this is working out for you and what kind of wear you get if any.
For sure.. loading up the dirt bikes this weekend.. they always make the truck feel “mushy” in the turns.. ill know right away if this is helps with a load in the bed. I’ll keep an eye on it all and post results.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Process is the same as OEM manufacturing process. They are all “crushed” on a press. Just a different location. I highly doubt they are heat treating or normalizing these parts. Even so the bar itself is made to flex. Been welding fabricating for 20+ years, i know a bit about metallurgy. This isn’t rocket science. And the stock bar already had signs of corrosion On a year old truck.Part of life here in the Midwest. No avaoiding that.
Could i have done a better job? Sure, but i was just testing a theory. And if it turns out to be **** over time.. like ferraiolo1 said. “Just replace it” But i have no issue trusting my precious cargo on this bar. In the mean time, I’m gonna go spend my 300 bucks on an Amp. lol. No disrespect bud, just my opinion. 👍

Great job. You're probably gonna want a spare OEM swaybar, you know, just in case. I happen to have one... Make me an offer. ;)

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may get a hell wig but im unsure ... In also thinking of adding a inch to the rear

So after review idk which togetthe dobison 2 inch rear spring or the clayton and if i do get any of those would i need to get the longer hellwig bar ? With the core 4x4 ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread