5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hellwig? Hell, yeah!

BigGsc

Reaction score
You all convinced me and mine got delivered today. At least one seller on ebay has them new for ~ $250 right now, too.

TSL

Reaction score
Ordered mine from Amazon after reading just too many testimonies to how awesome it is. It's been on my porch for a while and I got to open it finally today. Took a look at the instructions first ( I know... you're supposed to do that when all else fails, right ? ) Anyways, first thing I see on the instruction sheet in bold print is "This kit requires drilling the frame rail and possible relocation of fuel and brake lines", and I'm here going "what the heck ? I thought it was just open some bolts, drop out the factory bar and swap in the Hellwig one" That's what the guy at the Overland Expo booth told me, he even said take pictures on your phone of the OEM setup first.
Then I look at the piece of paper in my hand, out of the box, and at the bottom left it says " 7731 ( R-7731)"
I go back and check the box and label clearly says HELLWIG_7709
So then I come in to the computer, go to Hellwig's web site, and look up the instructions for 7709 and they are much simpler than what came in the box I have and align with what I was told.
Attached picture shows what was in the box : 2 bushings, 2 brackets, and a package with 4 bolts and washers ( no nuts ) and some lube.
I don't think I need those bolts since I can re-use the factory bolts ? Which have nuts on then it looks like to me.
Just checking I have the right product in my hand before I start dismantling anything ! I think I just got a box with the wrong instructions but the right parts for some reason. The bar itself visually looks like it's the correct one ( I've crawled under with it and held it up to the frame, it sure looks like it fits )
Also, is it important to "tighten the frame bolts to 25 - 30 lbs" ? ( If so I need to go find a torque wrench ) or can I just tighten them up as tight as I can ?

Attachments

• 20230730_213443.jpg
    20230730_213443.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230730_213601.jpg
    20230730_213601.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 41

Scion

Reaction score
is it important to "tighten the frame bolts to 25 - 30 lbs" ? ( If so I need to go find a torque wrench ) or can I just tighten them up as tight as I can ?

Definitely important. If you have a feel for it, you can approximate, but definitely NOT as tight as you can, or you could find your self with a broken bolt or stripped out threads. You can probably borrow a torque wrench for free at AutoZone.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Definitely important. If you have a feel for it, you can approximate, but definitely NOT as tight as you can, or you could find your self with a broken bolt or stripped out threads. You can probably borrow a torque wrench for free at AutoZone.
Torque wrenches are sub $20 from harbor freight, and under $40 from Amazon. If he doesn't have one and just bought a $200+ metal bar to strap to his truck he should probably invest and get one anyways imo.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Ordered mine from Amazon after reading just too many testimonies to how awesome it is. It's been on my porch for a while and I got to open it finally today. Took a look at the instructions first ( I know... you're supposed to do that when all else fails, right ? ) Anyways, first thing I see on the instruction sheet in bold print is "This kit requires drilling the frame rail and possible relocation of fuel and brake lines", and I'm here going "what the heck ? I thought it was just open some bolts, drop out the factory bar and swap in the Hellwig one" That's what the guy at the Overland Expo booth told me, he even said take pictures on your phone of the OEM setup first.
Then I look at the piece of paper in my hand, out of the box, and at the bottom left it says " 7731 ( R-7731)"
I go back and check the box and label clearly says HELLWIG_7709
So then I come in to the computer, go to Hellwig's web site, and look up the instructions for 7709 and they are much simpler than what came in the box I have and align with what I was told.
Attached picture shows what was in the box : 2 bushings, 2 brackets, and a package with 4 bolts and washers ( no nuts ) and some lube.
I don't think I need those bolts since I can re-use the factory bolts ? Which have nuts on then it looks like to me.
Just checking I have the right product in my hand before I start dismantling anything ! I think I just got a box with the wrong instructions but the right parts for some reason. The bar itself visually looks like it's the correct one ( I've crawled under with it and held it up to the frame, it sure looks like it fits )
Also, is it important to "tighten the frame bolts to 25 - 30 lbs" ? ( If so I need to go find a torque wrench ) or can I just tighten them up as tight as I can ?
they send new bolts because when volts are torqued once they lose some strength the second time.

TSL

Reaction score
Torque wrenches are sub $20 from harbor freight, and under $40 from Amazon. If he doesn't have one and just bought a $200+ metal bar to strap to his truck he should probably invest and get one anyways imo.
I figured it was an reasonable excuse to add another tool to the collection so I went ahead and got one from harbor freight locally

TSL

Reaction score
they send new bolts because when volts are torqued once they lose some strength the second time.
well, I learn something new every day !
I finished up re-using the OEM bolts because the ones that Hellwig supplied required a hex socket and I did not have any to connect to my torque wrench so I just used the 15mm socket I had to hand. Now I have an excuse to buy more tools, to get a set of hex sockets !

I mounted the Hellwig bar and used the middle hole since that seems to be a consensus good place to start. It definitely does make a difference, I live in a rural area so I headed out on my local roads, came to the first bend of significance and as I went round it I realized I was subconsciously preparing myself for the body lean in the truck and it just didn't happen ! It just stayed level !
I went around a few more bends and found myself marveling that the body roll ( which I never thought was all that bad actually for such a big vehicle ), just wasn't there.
I'm curious to try the inside hole and see what I think to that. I do have a roof top tent on the vehicle so I might perhaps get some value from the tighter setting. Having said that, I do also go off road occasionally so perhaps staying in the middle setting to allow some articulation off road might be good.
Anyway, for now I'll say I find myself agreeing with the 26 pages of testimony here on this thread that it really does make a difference .

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couldn't resist the preinflation prices and got mine today. Might have been a return because it didn't come in the usual hellwig box with the blue middle that i see in a lot of videos. I see a little rust in one of the holes so maybe thats the reason. I suppose i could take care of that. Any suggestions on what to use. All the hardware is there and never use.

Attachments

• 20230731_234624.jpg
    20230731_234624.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230731_234747.jpg
    20230731_234747.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 45

Conundrum

Reaction score
well, I learn something new every day !
I finished up re-using the OEM bolts because the ones that Hellwig supplied required a hex socket and I did not have any to connect to my torque wrench so I just used the 15mm socket I had to hand. Now I have an excuse to buy more tools, to get a set of hex sockets !

I mounted the Hellwig bar and used the middle hole since that seems to be a consensus good place to start. It definitely does make a difference, I live in a rural area so I headed out on my local roads, came to the first bend of significance and as I went round it I realized I was subconsciously preparing myself for the body lean in the truck and it just didn't happen ! It just stayed level !
I went around a few more bends and found myself marveling that the body roll ( which I never thought was all that bad actually for such a big vehicle ), just wasn't there.
I'm curious to try the inside hole and see what I think to that. I do have a roof top tent on the vehicle so I might perhaps get some value from the tighter setting. Having said that, I do also go off road occasionally so perhaps staying in the middle setting to allow some articulation off road might be good.
Anyway, for now I'll say I find myself agreeing with the 26 pages of testimony here on this thread that it really does make a difference .
Any idea what size Hex socket they take? My Hellwig should show up today while I'm at work and I plan to go pick up some before heading home. I'd like to make sure the set I get has the right size.

BigGsc

Reaction score
Any idea what size Hex socket they take? My Hellwig should show up today while I'm at work and I plan to go pick up some before heading home. I'd like to make sure the set I get has the right size.

8 mm. Just installed mine this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked on this and it says "this does not fit 2023 Ram 1500" I have a 2023 Rebel. Is this correct ?
It fits, they probably just haven't verified it in a 2023, so for liability reasons can't list it as an application

Scion

Reaction score
Finally got mine installed today. It makes a much more noticeable difference than the Hellwig on my 3rd Gen did (and the 3rd gen didn't even have an OEM sway bar).

I'm curious how many people opted to use the OEM bolts instead of the new Allen head bolts and washers. I used the new ones, but the OEM bolts with the slightly smaller captive washers fit a little better with the Hellwig brackets, so I may switch.

TSL

Reaction score
I used factory because I didn't have a hex socket so it was either pause the project till the next day or make do with the factory bolts. I did add a little blue loctite on each one as I put it back in, not sure if it was necessary or not

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Anyone have any negative winter-specific driving experiences with Hellwig installed?
Frame of reference: Upstated NY, stock Bridgestones on the stock 20's, like to go skiing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any negative winter-specific driving experiences with Hellwig installed?
Frame of reference: Upstated NY, stock Bridgestones on the stock 20's, like to go skiing.
If you know how to drive in snow, zero issues.

Users who are viewing this thread