5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone received a refund on a dealer installed option?

RAMble

Reaction score
When I was younger, I had the same games played on me by every Ford, GM, Toyota, Ram, Dodge, and even VW dealers when purchasing for my wife. They are all out for one thing - the spare change in your wallet. Even now, they try but I’m a little wiser…but they still have ways to get to my wallet.

Yet I’m man enough to admit when I’ve been had by a dealer simply because I wasn’t man enough to walk away from a bad deal - simply because I or my wife fell in love with a vehicle.

I’m always amazed when folks take absolutely no responsibility for their actions but instead blame the dealer or worse - the manufacturer. You purchased the vehicle and failed to walk away to find a better deal. As indicated, you signed the documents and never stopped the process. Yet you are now blaming FCA…I’d love to see the picture where any dealer or manufacturer has forced anyone to purchase a vehicle.
All true, but it doesn't excuse the deceptive practices of an entire dealership and a customer service team that does nothing to rectify the situation with the customer. My latest update from RAM was the dealer is no longer going to force the appearance package on their vehicle prior to sale. That tells me there was an issue with being honest in the transaction.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All true, but it doesn't excuse the deceptive practices of an entire dealership and a customer service team that does nothing to rectify the situation with the customer. My latest update from RAM was the dealer is no longer going to force the appearance package on their vehicle prior to sale. That tells me there was an issue with being honest in the transaction.
Understood. Remember the power of the FCA Customer Survey you receive after a new vehicle purchase. They are the best after the sale leverage tool to get issues resolved with the dealer. FCA reads each of the surveys and leans heavily on the dealer to make it right, if the customer is reasonable. With that said, the power of the deal lies with each of us buyers. When enough folks don’t purchase and walk out over the silly crap they try to add into the deal, they’ll quit doing it. Granted, then they will try to charge us for a luster sheen on the new tires or some other BS. 😉

RAMble

Reaction score
Understood. Remember the power of the FCA Customer Survey you receive after a new vehicle purchase. They are the best after the sale leverage tool to get issues resolved with the dealer. FCA reads each of the surveys and leans heavily on the dealer to make it right, if the customer is reasonable. With that said, the power of the deal lies with each of us buyers. When enough folks don’t purchase and walk out over the silly crap they try to add into the deal, they’ll quit doing it. Granted, then they will try to charge us for a luster sheen on the new tires or some other BS. 😉
LOL, It's unfortunate that the car buying experience is so vulnerable to these situations... Never did receive a customer survey after my purchase. Must have fallen between the cracks. I know those things happen....

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that dealers are not the manufacturer, but in this case the dealer refuses to even discuss the matter. There is a lot more to my story with this dealer and I had to take it to RAM for escalation. Again I agree there is a difference between dealer and manufacturer but there is an agreement between them regarding the sale of their vehicles. I believe the manufacturer would want the dealer to be reputable in their dealings. Which was not the case with me. So when the manufacturer does nothing but offer an oil change they are condoning the dealers practices in my book.
I agree with what Northstar said. Don't blame RAM for what one dealer did. Like I said before, 90% of dealers out there with every manufacture does the same shady crap. That's the nature of the business. I blame the finance manager at my dealer for the shady crap he pulled on me. I also let my guard down on the deal. Not gonna go cry to ram (FCA) about it. Its not there problem.
I’m always amazed when folks take absolutely no responsibility for their actions but instead blame the dealer or worse - the manufacturer. You purchased the vehicle and failed to walk away to find a better deal. As indicated, you signed the documents and never stopped the process. Yet you are now blaming FCA…I’d love to see the picture where any dealer or manufacturer has forced anyone to purchase a vehicle.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish the survey would last longer, just so I could get my plates first before I bash the dealer on the survey.

RAMble

Reaction score
I agree with what Northstar said. Don't blame RAM for what one dealer did. Like I said before, 90% of dealers out there with every manufacture does the same shady crap. That's the nature of the business. I blame the finance manager at my dealer for the shady crap he pulled on me. I also let my guard down on the deal. Not gonna go cry to ram (FCA) about it. Its not there problem.
That's where we're different, which is OK. Saying it's the nature of the business is what allows this stuff to propagate so much. The dealer goes into a franchise contract to sell a manufacturers product, if the dealer uses deceptive sales practices it puts the manufacturers reputation at risk. So the manufacturer should appreciate the customer providing them with this information. The manufacturer can then apply pressure on the dealer to shape up. At the end of the day one dealer of a great product like a RAM Truck needs the manufacturer more than the manufacturer needs one dealership. I still believe that a dealer is an extension of the manufacturer through there franchise contracts and can be blamed for a dealerships continued deceptive activities if they do not strive to rectify them after receiving multiple complaints. So to me, NOT going to the manufacturer and just chalking it up to "nature of the business" is not acceptable. It promotes the problem and doesn't fix it for future purchasers.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Wish the survey would last longer, just so I could get my plates first before I bash the dealer on the survey.
Might want to consider if you are taking your vehicle to the dealership you bash on a survey for future service visits! :-\

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might want to consider if you are taking your vehicle to the dealership you bash on a survey for future service visits! :-\
It has worked for me in the past as I explain to the Service Manager that I gave Sales a crappy review because they failed to meet the marks set by FCA. I then explain that if they do the work, clean up after themselves and meet the metrics set out by FCA in the service survey, then I'll give the highest marks possible. However, I also explain that if they fail me then they'll receive feedback similar to that given to sales. I've only had one issue where I had to give bad marks and even the Service Manager admitted they failed/needed to be held accountable in front of FCA.

James1414d

Reaction score
They tried to add 'Perma Plate' glass protector to my contract. I had them go ahead and take that off. It is just a 400$ sticker on the corner of the windshield as far as I can tell. They of course left the high dollar sticker in place lol

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's where we're different, which is OK. Saying it's the nature of the business is what allows this stuff to propagate so much. The dealer goes into a franchise contract to sell a manufacturers product, if the dealer uses deceptive sales practices it puts the manufacturers reputation at risk. So the manufacturer should appreciate the customer providing them with this information. The manufacturer can then apply pressure on the dealer to shape up. At the end of the day one dealer of a great product like a RAM Truck needs the manufacturer more than the manufacturer needs one dealership. I still believe that a dealer is an extension of the manufacturer through there franchise contracts and can be blamed for a dealerships continued deceptive activities if they do not strive to rectify them after receiving multiple complaints. So to me, NOT going to the manufacturer and just chalking it up to "nature of the business" is not acceptable. It promotes the problem and doesn't fix it for future purchasers.
I do agree somewhat but in reality, we let our guard down when buying the car. I hate to say it but its true. In my case, I got to comfortable with the finance manager as he claimed he used to work with my current GM at my dealer. And since I work in the dealer, I know several of the procedures and what not. But in the end, I got too comfortable with him and he used that to his advantage. I should of known better and read over each document that he was making me sign. As Northstar said, FCA didn't force us to buy the car. They didn't force us to sign any of the documents. That was on us. Im sure reps at FCA are laughing when someone calls in complaining after a dealer sells them a bunch of unneccessary products that were slipped into the contract. In sure the first thing the rep is gonna say is " you signed the documents, you didn't read what you were signing"? Complaining to them about our mistake is stupid. If I had to complain to the manufacture about the dealer, it would be the fact that they refuse to cancel a product after the fact, even when it had a clear cancellation policy.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
When I went to dealer today and tried to cancel the theft protection, they said it couldn't be canceled because it was a dealer add on. I said the contract clearly says it can be canceled and he continued to say it couldn't. I canceled some other products with the same company and the process involves the finance manager filling out some paper work online then it sends me an email link to watch a video on canceling the products, then it emails me another link to sign the paper work to cancel the products and get the forms notorized which I then have to send to a different email for the refund to be processed. I plan to call the company tomorrow to find out if the theft protection is something that can actually be canceled. I think the finance manager is playing games because he is probably mad he is losing his commission on all of this. But the contract clearly says it can be canceled. I doubt this company really cares. They have a F rating with the BBB. Alot of negative reviews about the finance dept. Only reason I went to them was because they were the only dealer to hold the truck for me. They actually text me pics of the keys to the truck in hand. Plus they had the best deal on the price.

Is the theft protection an actual alarm system or some type of added protection?

RAMble

Reaction score
I will never take my vehicle to that dealer for anything.
Same here. That dealer I fell victim to lost the opportunity to service my vehicle and reap the profits of the after sale services. I'm fortunate to have other CDJR dealers near me. I'm sure the other non CDJR dealers near me would welcome the business.

RAMble

Reaction score
I do agree somewhat but in reality, we let our guard down when buying the car. I hate to say it but its true. In my case, I got to comfortable with the finance manager as he claimed he used to work with my current GM at my dealer. And since I work in the dealer, I know several of the procedures and what not. But in the end, I got too comfortable with him and he used that to his advantage. I should of known better and read over each document that he was making me sign. As Northstar said, FCA didn't force us to buy the car. They didn't force us to sign any of the documents. That was on us. Im sure reps at FCA are laughing when someone calls in complaining after a dealer sells them a bunch of unneccessary products that were slipped into the contract. In sure the first thing the rep is gonna say is " you signed the documents, you didn't read what you were signing"? Complaining to them about our mistake is stupid. If I had to complain to the manufacture about the dealer, it would be the fact that they refuse to cancel a product after the fact, even when it had a clear cancellation policy.
I hear you and I don't deny my stupidity and the part it played but the complete dismissal of the situation by the dealership and RAM customer service has me seeing red. Dealerships and these types of sales practices seem to be considered OK and that just wrong. You go into the dealership expecting to plop down 50K + of your hard earned money. You shouldn't have to worry about someone intentionally playing these games to get an extra 1,400 out of you. I'll continue to rail against this type of sales practice in hopes it brings some change and saves someone from going through an experience like I went through. This is turning into a painful and expensive lesson learned for me, so I am going to share the pain in hopes of change.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the theft protection an actual alarm system or some type of added protection?
is was a dealer installed option that is basically an id code placed on the vehicle that makes it traceable by the police so thieves can not resell it. It also gives benefits if the vehicle is stolen. In other words, it was basically another $300 worth of product that my insurance and gap already covers.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Bit of a thread drift but related. We recently purchased a recliner. Found out the one we liked and arranged pick up time. When I went to pay the bill there was a $75 charge for “fabric protection plan”. They told me they did that on all furniture as soon as it came in and couldn’t reverse the charge. I walked out. The sales guy was actually chasing me as I drive off. Found the same chair at another furniture store that was having a free delivery sale. Ordered online and saved a few bucks over original store.

U

User_3336

Bit of a thread drift but related. We recently purchased a recliner. Found out the one we liked and arranged pick up time. When I went to pay the bill there was a $75 charge for “fabric protection plan”. They told me they did that on all furniture as soon as it came in and couldn’t reverse the charge. I walked out. The sales guy was actually chasing me as I drive off. Found the same chair at another furniture store that was having a free delivery sale. Ordered online and saved a few bucks over original store.
Yeah, I love that line "Its already been applied", or "Its already been installed". Yeah, right.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
getting refunds processed from this dealer has proven to be a real challenge. I feel I will end up having to hire a lawyer to get my refunds back. I work for a dealer and even mine doesn't operate this poorly. Then again I work for a corporate dealer, this dealer I believe is a small set of private dealers. Can't find any info online of who really owns them. The refund process for the multiple add on items starts with the finance manager sending me an email with a link to a small video regarding the cancellation of each individual product. After that, It gives me a few forms to fill out and notarize and then I had to email them back to the dealer. The first two products I canceled, the dealer sent me confirmation that they received it and said it would process within 6-8 weeks. I assume they send the check to the finance company for the loan. The traceable theft protection, I had to email the GM as the finance manager refused to offer the refund. GM agreed to the refund. They finally sent me the paperwork to cancel which I then sent back to them, but it seems they are trying to either stall the process or are just refusing to do the refund for that one. I received no confirmation from the dealer that they received the signed paperwork. I have sent over 10 emails over the course of a month looking for confirmation from the lady who processes the refunds, no response. She only emailed me one time trying to say she already received the paperwork but was referencing the first two that I sent. Said to email her in a month for a status update. I have called her office at the dealer multiple times, she never answers the phone. I have left several voice mails for a call back, received no call back. For the past week, sent her an email everyday for a status update, included the GM and finance director in the emails, no reply back to any email. Why would you tell me to ask you for a status update after a month if you refuse to answer your phone or respond to any emails? That right there makes me suspicious that they’re even processing any of the refunds. Not sure if contacting FCA about this will yield any results. Now I am trying to get back a pro rated refund for the GAP insurance as the loan was refinanced, sent the finance manager an email yesterday morning asking for him to send me the paperwork for cancelation, he agreed and then sent nothing. I am a patient person and reasonable but can't stand the s**t customer service received. Seems to be a common issue in my area. Almost like once they F**k you and you leave, they don't give a s**t anymore.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for small claims court.
I will give them till the end of the year to see what happens. it’s only been a month since I sent them the cancellations for the first three products. I will at least allow 8 weeks to go by before I continue to hound them about it. Although I still don’t understand why it would take 6-8 weeks for a refund to process. You mean it tells me it’s gonna take two months for you them to write a check and mail it to the finance company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/