5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone received a refund on a dealer installed option?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could the dealer call instead, and cancel it? Don't know why the dealer would be hesitant to call and cancel something, and get a refund on something like this.

It would be just good customer service to at least try and to that for the customer.

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
When I went to dealer today and tried to cancel the theft protection, they said it couldn't be canceled because it was a dealer add on. I said the contract clearly says it can be canceled and he continued to say it couldn't. I canceled some other products with the same company and the process involves the finance manager filling out some paper work online then it sends me an email link to watch a video on canceling the products, then it emails me another link to sign the paper work to cancel the products and get the forms notorized which I then have to send to a different email for the refund to be processed. I plan to call the company tomorrow to find out if the theft protection is something that can actually be canceled. I think the finance manager is playing games because he is probably mad he is losing his commission on all of this. But the contract clearly says it can be canceled. I doubt this company really cares. They have a F rating with the BBB. Alot of negative reviews about the finance dept. Only reason I went to them was because they were the only dealer to hold the truck for me. They actually text me pics of the keys to the truck in hand. Plus they had the best deal on the price.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not that they CAN'T, its just appears that they don't want to.......It was a profit margin built into the original sale, so they appear to be stalling, and making "we can't" their statement.
funny you say that. I tried to cancel the tire protection package due to an issue with the company saying they denied a claim and the finance manager told me "oh that's because you have to wait 30 days". Knowing d&*m well he wanted to stall it to avoid giving a refund and losing his commission.

U

User_3336

funny you say that. I tried to cancel the tire protection package due to an issue with the company saying they denied a claim and the finance manager told me "oh that's because you have to wait 30 days". Knowing d&*m well he wanted to stall it to avoid giving a refund and losing his commission.
I already been thru a similar situation. You hit the answer right on the nose!

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hate this part. I would follow through in a couple of days...and not wait 30 days like they promised.

Just sucks that YOU have to do this extra work because THEY don't want to do the extra work.

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

monkeypunch

Reaction score
0% chance I buy a vehicle with that garbage. If my truck comes in and they try to sell me that stuff, I will get my deposit back and walk.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your dealer is playing a semantics game like mine did. They have huge profit built into this crap and they don’t want to do the refund.

Instead explain to them like I did but I’m not looking for a refund as I’m simply looking for them to credit back the funds used to pay for the GPS system to my bank note. I also uninstalled the crap and instead of smashing it I returned it to the dealer for the credit back to my bank note. Once I explained this and told them that I realize they can’t give me a refund because it’s a financed product but they can certainly credit that amount back to my bank note, the general manager agreed.

If you’re arguing with a sales person, if you’re arguing with a sales manager trust me it’s not worth it…contact your dealer and ask to speak directly with the general manager of the dealership. If you have to, go online and find the name of the general manager as that’s the only way you’re going to get anything done. Additionally I would explain to the general manager that you will detail all of this and give them a bad rating on the FCA survey assuming you haven’t submitted it yet. That survey hits them hard as FCA will contact the dealer and tell them to make it right.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did they install this fine piece of equipment on the truck? Did they have to cut the harness to install?
Mine was behind the left kick panel by your left foot. See pics

I followed the wire to the OBD connection where it was jumpered in. Simple plug and play to install…and even simpler to unplug, remove and no more “play”.

Attachments

• 219EA1FD-5BCD-4664-8EAE-8BA597EC5C61.jpeg
    219EA1FD-5BCD-4664-8EAE-8BA597EC5C61.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 11077468-B71A-4043-8A7F-748E8FA401A0.jpeg
    11077468-B71A-4043-8A7F-748E8FA401A0.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 42
U

User_3336

I also uninstalled the crap and instead of smashing it I returned it to the dealer
Yep, I smashed it to F**K! The dealer had already credited me back. They didn't want it back (I guess it was already tied to that VIN#). I am sure it was one of things they just didn't want to deal with (complaints, bad survey)
I never did the "FCA survey". If you don't have anything nice to say, why take it. They don't get bonus $$'s if the survey isn't completed, and they don't if there is a negative mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
probably a dumb question but is something like this added to the window sticker? where would we see this add-on...clearly I didn't notice it on the paperwork and now I'm wondering.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
probably a dumb question but is something like this added to the window sticker? where would we see this add-on...clearly I didn't notice it on the paperwork and now I'm wondering.

Not a dumb question. mine was on a separate sticker that I never saw. Ended up finding it in the truck after I took it home. I too had no idea any of it was added until after I read the contract. Was never mentioned in the finance office.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was behind the left kick panel by your left foot. See pics

I followed the wire to the OBD connection where it was jumpered in. Simple plug and play to install…and even simpler to unplug, remove and no more “play”.
The traceable theft protection doesn't use a tracking device. According to the website, it places an identification code on the vehicle (mine is under the hood), and it makes the vehicle traceable by police so thieves can not sell it. Seems it is just another $300 insurance. Provides a bunch of benefits if the vehicle is stolen. My vehicle also had the Spireon GPS (lo Jack) installed as an added option. Nothing on that contract has a cancellation policy.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your dealer is playing a semantics game like mine did. They have huge profit built into this crap and they don’t want to do the refund.

Instead explain to them like I did but I’m not looking for a refund as I’m simply looking for them to credit back the funds used to pay for the GPS system to my bank note. I also uninstalled the crap and instead of smashing it I returned it to the dealer for the credit back to my bank note. Once I explained this and told them that I realize they can’t give me a refund because it’s a financed product but they can certainly credit that amount back to my bank note, the general manager agreed.

If you’re arguing with a sales person, if you’re arguing with a sales manager trust me it’s not worth it…contact your dealer and ask to speak directly with the general manager of the dealership. If you have to, go online and find the name of the general manager as that’s the only way you’re going to get anything done. Additionally I would explain to the general manager that you will detail all of this and give them a bad rating on the FCA survey assuming you haven’t submitted it yet. That survey hits them hard as FCA will contact the dealer and tell them to make it right.
This theft protection system is separate from the Spireon GPS system (also installed as an add on). As I just read into it, seems like its just a $300 added insurance. No tracking device, just a code installed on the vehicle that makes it traceable by police and provides added benefits if it is stolen. $300 for stuff my insurance already covers. I wonder if this is why the finance manager says it can not be canceled. But again the contract says otherwise.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This theft protection system is separate from the Spireon GPS system (also installed as an add on). As I just read into it, seems like its just a $300 added insurance. No tracking device, just a code installed on the vehicle that makes it traceable by police and provides added benefits if it is stolen. $300 for stuff my insurance already covers. I wonder if this is why the finance manager says it can not be canceled. But again the contract says otherwise.
Traceable theft protection of $299 is installed and may not be “refundable” however the Skylink GPS tracking system should be “refundable”. Have you completed the FCA survey yet? If not, it is all negotiable at this point.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you DO get credit for "searching!" :)

Traceable theft protection of $299 is installed and may not be “refundable” however the Skylink GPS tracking system should be “refundable”. Have you completed the FCA survey yet? If not, it is all negotiable at this point.
According to the contract for the traceable theft protection, it can be canceled for a full refund up to 60 days. I see nothing on the contract for the gps that says it can be canceled. No I have not done the FCA survey yet. I still have till 17 of September to complete it. Today I’ll probably send an email to the GM of the dealer discussing it and see what he says.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@NorthStar 's method with the survey should get you what you need, but if they still don't budge I'd go to small claims court. That contract seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Turin

Reaction score
Anyone dealt with this BS?
Yeah. The dealership I bought my truck from added a $500 charge for some sort of anti-theft etching. The guy I worked with on my order asked if I wanted rust-proofing and other add-ons but didn't mention this one. The first I saw of it was when sitting with the finance guy to sign papers. "Oh, we put that on all our vehicles."

Additionally I would explain to the general manager that you will detail all of this and give them a bad rating on the FCA survey assuming you haven’t submitted it yet. That survey hits them hard as FCA will contact the dealer and tell them to make it right.
^^ I have no internal knowledge of the system but in my experience this certainly appears to be true.

When I saw the charge I should have threatened to walk out. I didn't. What I did do was complain (post-sale) on the dealership survey. The GM called and asked me to hold off on the FCA survey to give them a chance to make it right. I'd already completed that survey as well but I didn't tell them that. Nothing seemed to come of it at first. The dealership never contacted me about it again but a few months later I was pleasantly surprised to receive a check for $499. (Technically they still charged me; but only $1.)

Your dealership absolutely can make things right by you. Whether or not they will is another story.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah. The dealership I bought my truck from added a $500 charge for some sort of anti-theft etching. The guy I worked with on my order asked if I wanted rust-proofing and other add-ons but didn't mention this one. The first I saw of it was when sitting with the finance guy to sign papers. "Oh, we put that on all our vehicles."

^^ I have no internal knowledge of the system but in my experience this certainly appears to be true.

When I saw the charge I should have threatened to walk out. I didn't. What I did do was complain (post-sale) on the dealership survey. The GM called and asked me to hold off on the FCA survey to give them a chance to make it right. I'd already completed that survey as well but I didn't tell them that. Nothing seemed to come of it at first. The dealership never contacted me about it again but a few months later I was pleasantly surprised to receive a check for $499. (Technically they still charged me; but only $1.)

Your dealership absolutely can make things right by you. Whether or not they will is another story.
I have received the dealership experience survey which I assume is from FCA. I haven't filled it out yet. The only dealer survey I have received is from the actual dealer which is posted on dealerrater. I haven't filled that out either. I did get a text from FCA with a link to the fca performance institute but at the bottom of the page, I am unable to fill out my recommendation for the dealer. It is all greyed out. it basically gives all of my vehicles capabilities and videos to watch of each feature but won't let me fill out the bottom which details every step the dealer was supposed to go through with me. I will email the GM first to give him a chance to remove it. I will update once I get a response.

U

User_3336

the FCA survey titles as

Dealership Experience Survey <[email protected]>​

This survey will be available until 09/05/21.

Thanks again,

Jeff Kommor
Head of US Sales

Users who are viewing this thread