5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone received a refund on a dealer installed option?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was behind the left kick panel by your left foot. See pics

I followed the wire to the OBD connection where it was jumpered in. Simple plug and play to install…and even simpler to unplug, remove and no more “play”.
Took me 5 seconds to find mine. Was all bundled up under the dash next to the OBD 2 port. Has to be the GPS unit. Funny that they charge you for this service that any thief can easily remove in under a minute if they steal the truck. They don't make any attempt to hide it.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hate this part. I would follow through in a couple of days...and not wait 30 days like they promised.

Just sucks that YOU have to do this extra work because THEY don't want to do the extra work.

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
They started the process for the refund of the tire and wheel package. Weird process but its started. Finance manager just gave me the kickback on the theft protection.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just went in today to negotiate a second vehicle...2021 Jeep Cherokee...getting decent lease discounts. In any event, the Sales guy comes at the end and says "we are doing something new, where we install a GPS..." I cut him off right there and said "I do not want that and do not install it...that is a hard no. None of your business where I or this vehicle is. If I don't pay, the bank will find me". He was surprised and I repeated myself...we will see how well he listened why I go in to sign the deal.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just went in today to negotiate a second vehicle...2021 Jeep Cherokee...getting decent lease discounts. In any event, the Sales guy comes at the end and says "we are doing something new, where we install a GPS..." I cut him off right there and said "I do not want that and do not install it...that is a hard no. None of your business where I or this vehicle is. If I don't pay, the bank will find me". He was surprised and I repeated myself...we will see how well he listened why I go in to sign the deal.
Chances are it's already in the vehicle. These things are used for inventory tracking but they leave them in there to try and scam people into paying for the hardware and service as a profit boost. The real cost to the dealer is pennies on the dollar to what they will want to charge you. I wouldn't be surprised if it was left in there even if you don't pay for it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After finding it installed on my 2021 Ram, I decided to look at my wife’s 2019 Beetle on Monday…yep, it was sitting there flashing away under the dash and we never paid for it nor did we ever authorize it.

It was another plug and play system so I simply removed the unit and got to rip a page out of GregHBNA’s play book…and smashed it to pieces before dumping it in the garbage.

Installed on a freaking Beetle!!! Go figure…

U

User_3336

Chances are it's already in the vehicle. These things are used for inventory tracking but they leave them in there to try and scam people into paying for the hardware and service as a profit boost. The real cost to the dealer is pennies on the dollar to what they will want to charge you. I wouldn't be surprised if it was left in there even if you don't pay for it.
I refused to pay for it. they refused to take it out. I took it out and smashed it to hell!
Must have been tied to my VIN, otherwise they would have wanted it back. It WAS registered to the dealership before I registered it, because it had ALL my driving history.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I refused to pay for it. they refused to take it out. I took it out and smashed it to hell!
Must have been tied to my VIN, otherwise they would have wanted it back. It WAS registered to the dealership before I registered it, because it had ALL my driving history.
The labor cost to remove is likely higher than buying a new one. They are that cheap.

U

User_3336

The labor cost to remove is likely higher than buying a new one. They are that cheap.
$400 for the MOPAR EVTS isn't exactly "CHEAP"...... and labor to "remove it"???? It took 5 minutes to take it out.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$400 for the MOPAR EVTS isn't exactly "CHEAP"...... and labor to "remove it"???? It took 5 minutes to take it out.
That may be what they would charge you, as an individual, to buy it...but there is no way dealers are paying that. Plus that $400 includes the service to the end user (you), it's not just for the module. The hardware itself is almost worthless.

Also, I was more referring to the third party units most dealers use. Usually less than $50 and these companies will give them away in order to have dealers sell the service as a dealer add-on to unsuspecting buyers.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

That may be what they would charge you, as an individual, to buy it...but there is no way dealers are paying that. Plus that $400 includes the service, it's not just for the module. The hardware itself is almost worthless.

Also, I was more referring to the third party units most dealers use. Usually less than $50 and these companies will give them away in order to have dealers sell the service as a dealer add-on to unsuspecting buyers.
Perhaps, yes, to a third party device, probably relatively low cost.

Naw, the Mopar EVTS is pricey, and it DOES NOT come with service. Well, when installed by the dealer, it has full service, but when the customer registers it, it deactivates, and $199 is at play for service. Dealer has already soaked the customer for at least $400 somewhere hidden in their "deal", and the "service provider" profits from an overpriced "service package".

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps, yes, to a third party device, probably relatively low cost.

Naw, the Mopar EVTS is pricey, and it DOES NOT come with service. Well, when installed by the dealer, it has full service, but when the customer registers it, it deactivates, and $199 is at play for service. Dealer has already soaked the customer for at least $400 somewhere hidden in their "deal", and the "service provider" profits from an overpriced "service package".
Nope, if it's already activated it can be transferred without charge for 72 hours, otherwise it's $99 for the 'reprogramming fee' (which is yet another shady "gotcha" tactic). The whole thing is just a dealer asset management program that FCA partnered with an outside company (Guidepoint Systems) to manage...then it's pawned off as an expensive dealer added accessory. MOPAR just puts their sticker on Guidepoint's module. Guidepoint also does the same thing with Nissan (not to mention a ton of shady used car dealers and auto finance companies).

That extra $199 fee is what it costs to upgrade to one of the higher tier plans, the base plan is that one time fee of ~$400 people get conned into paying as a dealer add.

Edited to add: Either way, the hardware itself is basically worthless and costs the dealers nothing. It is literally not worth the few minutes of their time to remove them if the customer doesn't pay for the module. The dealer level service they use for inventory tracking is a different tier and they are damn well not paying $400 per car. That $400 added to the price the vehicle with these installed is almost pure profit split between the dealer and Guidepoint (or whichever other third party tracking company provides the hardware).

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Nope, if it's already activated it can be transferred without charge for 72 hours, otherwise it's $99 for the 'reprogramming fee' (which is yet another shady "gotcha" tactic). The whole thing is just a dealer asset management program that FCA partnered with an outside company (Guidepoint Systems) to manage...then it's pawned off as an expensive dealer added accessory. MOPAR just puts their sticker on Guidepoint's module. Guidepoint also does the same thing with Nissan (not to mention a ton of shady used car dealers and auto finance companies).

That extra $199 fee is what it costs to upgrade to one of the higher tier plans, the base plan is that one time fee of ~$400 people get conned into paying as a dealer add.

Edited to add: Either way, the hardware itself is basically worthless and costs the dealers nothing. It is literally not worth the few minutes of their time to remove them if the customer doesn't pay for the module. The dealer level service they use for inventory tracking is a different tier and they are damn well not paying $400 per car. That $400 added to the price the vehicle with these installed is almost pure profit split between the dealer and Guidepoint (or whichever other third party tracking company provides the hardware).
Well, I already knew Guidepoint systems was the provider. What you said seems accurate, because the "welcome" kit states for customer to register within 72 hours. There was about a 3 hour window from the time I "customer activated" it, until the time it went back with out a service plan (hence the $199 "upgrade").
Previous to that 3 hour window, I downloaded the Guidepoint APP just for the hell out of it, and the device was indeed active because I could tell everywhere I had travelled that day, so indeed was a "dealer tracking device" at that point.. Within hours, none of those functions were active.

I told them to take it out, they refused, they didn't want it, I didn't pay for it (of course they have a $600 doc fee), I took it out myself, I smashed it to hell. Not tracking me or anything else. end of story! :)

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I already knew Guidepoint systems was the provider. What you said seems accurate, because the "welcome" kit states for customer to register within 72 hours. There was about a 3 hour window from the time I "customer activated" it, until the time it went back with out a service plan (hence the $199 "upgrade").
Previous to that 3 hour window, I downloaded the Guidepoint APP just for the hell out of it, and the device was indeed active because I could tell everywhere I had travelled that day, so indeed was a "dealer tracking device" at that point.. Within hours, none of those functions were active.

I told them to take it out, they refused, they didn't want it, I didn't pay for it (of course they have a $600 doc fee), I took it out myself, I smashed it to hell. Not tracking me or anything else. end of story! :)
I'm convinced the auto industry is nearly as bad as the finance world when it comes to devising ways of making money off of useless **** lol

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
received an email from spireon gps yesterday saying that the service can be deactivated but all sales are final from the dealer and no refunds will be given. I sent an email to the general manager of the dealer requesting the refund of the traceable theft protection. Haven’t heard from him yet.

RAMble

Reaction score
Yeah. The dealership I bought my truck from added a $500 charge for some sort of anti-theft etching. The guy I worked with on my order asked if I wanted rust-proofing and other add-ons but didn't mention this one. The first I saw of it was when sitting with the finance guy to sign papers. "Oh, we put that on all our vehicles."

^^ I have no internal knowledge of the system but in my experience this certainly appears to be true.

When I saw the charge I should have threatened to walk out. I didn't. What I did do was complain (post-sale) on the dealership survey. The GM called and asked me to hold off on the FCA survey to give them a chance to make it right. I'd already completed that survey as well but I didn't tell them that. Nothing seemed to come of it at first. The dealership never contacted me about it again but a few months later I was pleasantly surprised to receive a check for $499. (Technically they still charged me; but only $1.)

Your dealership absolutely can make things right by you. Whether or not they will is another story.
Just had similar experience with dealer. Unfortunately I signed the docs and bought the truck without noticing they added in $1,385 for some type of Platinum Appearance Package that supposedly protects paint for 12 months.... Dealer clammed up and wouldn't even discuss this last minute add on to the docs. Same story about it automatically being installed on vehicle. I would of have that meant it was a dealer installed option but it wasn't listed on the window sticker. Went to RAM to complain about this experience and they offered me an oil change coupon. LOL, an oil change.... Other than that nothing was done about the dealer's deceptive practice. Said they had to walk a fine line with dealers.... I really like the truck, in fact it's my second one. Unfortunately my last too. I won't buy a product from a company that condones this deceitful behavior from their dealerships.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had similar experience with dealer. Unfortunately I signed the docs and bought the truck without noticing they added in $1,385 for some type of Platinum Appearance Package that supposedly protects paint for 12 months.... Dealer clammed up and wouldn't even discuss this last minute add on to the docs. Same story about it automatically being installed on vehicle. I would of have that meant it was a dealer installed option but it wasn't listed on the window sticker. Went to RAM to complain about this experience and they offered me an oil change coupon. LOL, an oil change.... Other than that nothing was done about the dealer's deceptive practice. Said they had to walk a fine line with dealers.... I really like the truck, in fact it's my second one. Unfortunately my last too. I won't buy a product from a company that condones this deceitful behavior from their dealerships.
I sent an email directly to the GM of the dealer I bought mine from about the finance manager not wanting to refund me for one of the dealer add ons and in turn, the finance director called me and said they would refund me the $299 for the theft protection. You can't blame the manufacture for what the dealer did. I'm sure this happens with dealers from every manufacture.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I was younger, I had the same games played on me by every Ford, GM, Toyota, Ram, Dodge, and even VW dealers when purchasing for my wife. They are all out for one thing - the spare change in your wallet. Even now, they try but I’m a little wiser…but they still have ways to get to my wallet.

Yet I’m man enough to admit when I’ve been had by a dealer simply because I wasn’t man enough to walk away from a bad deal - simply because I or my wife fell in love with a vehicle.

I’m always amazed when folks take absolutely no responsibility for their actions but instead blame the dealer or worse - the manufacturer. You purchased the vehicle and failed to walk away to find a better deal. As indicated, you signed the documents and never stopped the process. Yet you are now blaming FCA…I’d love to see the picture where any dealer or manufacturer has forced anyone to purchase a vehicle.

RAMble

Reaction score
I sent an email directly to the GM of the dealer I bought mine from about the finance manager not wanting to refund me for one of the dealer add ons and in turn, the finance director called me and said they would refund me the $299 for the theft protection. You can't blame the manufacture for what the dealer did. I'm sure this happens with dealers from every manufacture.
I agree that dealers are not the manufacturer, but in this case the dealer refuses to even discuss the matter. There is a lot more to my story with this dealer and I had to take it to RAM for escalation. Again I agree there is a difference between dealer and manufacturer but there is an agreement between them regarding the sale of their vehicles. I believe the manufacturer would want the dealer to be reputable in their dealings. Which was not the case with me. So when the manufacturer does nothing but offer an oil change they are condoning the dealers practices in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread