5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone received a refund on a dealer installed option?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck came with these installed options. I Never saw this sticker as I guess it was removed before I saw the truck. Noticed all this crap on the contract. Anyway tried to get dealer to cancel the theft protection and give me a refund but they said it can't be canceled as its an installed dealer added equipment, yet the contract for the product clearly gives a cancellation policy. Anyone dealt with this BS? dealer.jpg dealer 2.jpg

U

User_3336

Looks like that "contract" is one for an EXTENDED WARRANTY, not for dealer added equipment..

You might be out of luck!

Did you purchase an extended warranty?

mmcbeat

Reaction score
When I bought my Ram, I only noticed “dealer installed options” when I sat down with the F&I guy. About $1,000 - McGuard’s, window tint voucher, and a funky Mopar GPS thingy. I told the finance guy this was a show stopper and they could keep the Ram. He told me that the sales guy was new and should have mentioned the “options”. I wanted the truck so I gave him the benefit of a doubt. He deducted the “options” (kept the tint voucher, left the McGuard’s and GPS installed). I removed the GPS but kept the McGuard‘s. Unfortunately, this practice seems to now be the norm. Caveat emptor .

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like that "contract" is one for an EXTENDED WARRANTY, not for dealer added equipment..

You might be out of luck!

Did you purchase an extended warranty?
No I did not purchase an extended warranty. This was the contract for the traceable theft protection. Was a full 3 pages front and back.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I bought my Ram, I only noticed “dealer installed options” when I sat down with the F&I guy. About $1,000 - McGuard’s, window tint voucher, and a funky Mopar GPS thingy. I told the finance guy this was a show stopper and they could keep the Ram. He told me that the sales guy was new and should have mentioned the “options”. I wanted the truck so I gave him the benefit of a doubt. He deducted the “options” (kept the tint voucher, left the McGuard’s and GPS installed). I removed the GPS but kept the McGuard‘s. Unfortunately, this practice seems to now be the norm. Caveat emptor .
I had no idea any of this was added until I left the dealer and reviewed the contract. Finance guy never went over any of it, nor did the salesman. my only real concern was getting the truck for the $7k under MSRP. My fault for getting too comfortable with them as I also work in the auto industry and the finance guy worked with my current GM. He initially got me for an added $3k worth of crap which I got most removed. These options I am trying to get refunded for but dealer giving the kickback saying they can't be canceled.

U

User_3336

I had no idea any of this was added until I left the dealer and reviewed the contract. Finance guy never went over any of it, nor did the salesman. my only real concern was getting the truck for the $7k under MSRP. My fault for getting too comfortable with them as I also work in the auto industry and the finance guy worked with my current GM. He initially got me for an added $3k worth of crap which I got most removed. These options I am trying to get refunded for but dealer giving the kickback saying they can't be canceled.
Wait....You work in the auto industry and you're not used to dealer "add-ons"???????????? So, what does your GM have to say about this? (since he "worked with" the finance manager?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Search this forum for “TheftPatrol” (https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...acker-removal-junk-installed-by-dealer.34132/) and you’ll see I got $995 refunded two weeks after the purchase for a useless GPS tracking system I did not want installed but the dealer insisted it was non-negotiable. I had to go through the General Manager (Sales Manager and Sales Person said no refund) to get a $995 refund. Purchased 31 July 2021 and refunded on 19 August 2021.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine said the same thing…can’t be cancelled…I asked them to show me in the contract where this was indicated and they could not. Then I threatened to give them a very bad review on the FCA survey I will receive as a result of purchasing a new Ram. I also put a bad review on Yelp and Google stating it would change it once this was settled properly. It took the GM a day to capitulate.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wait....You work in the auto industry and you're not used to dealer "add-ons"???????????? So, what does your GM about this? (since he "worked with" the finance manager?
I am a technician. At my dealer, I have no clue what BS the sales people and finance people play with customers and the vehicles. The only interaction I have with sales people are when they are sh**ting bricks when they just made a sale and the car is malfunctioning. I haven't spoken to my GM about this guy. Didn't really cross my mind to even strike up a conversation about it. I know sales people and finance people are shady. I doubt my GM will tell me anything bad about the guy. Most directors and GM's really don't talk bad about people to other employees.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine said the same thing…can’t be cancelled…I asked them to show me in the contract where this was indicated and they could not. Then I threatened to give them a very bad review on the FCA survey I will receive as a result of purchasing a new Ram. I also put a bad review on Yelp and Google stating it would change it once this was settled properly. It took the GM a day to capitulate.
I have the contract in front of me and it clearly gives a cancelation policy. Nothing says it can't be canceled. I was in the finance managers office early today canceling something else when I said I wanted to cancel this. That is when he gave me the BS about it being an add on and it can't be canceled. I have received the FCA survey but have yet to fill it out. My next move will probably be a BBB complaint. I usually have good results when I file a BBB complaint.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would check into the details of that system. Find out if it needs to be activated, registered, then see if you can cancel that way.

Also, don't know what trim you have, but most comes with uconnect free for like the first 6 months or so, is this separate "factory" addon? Check to see if other cars on the lot stickers show the same.

Just really odd that this piece of equipment is on...like they don't trust uconnect or something. That's just my thought.

2022 Ram 1500 Big horn Back country (D status)

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

U

User_3336

I have the contract in front of me and it clearly gives a cancelation policy. Nothing says it can't be canceled. I was in the finance managers office early today canceling something else when I said I wanted to cancel this. That is when he gave me the BS about it being an add on and it can't be canceled. I have received the FCA survey but have yet to fill it out. My next move will probably be a BBB complaint. I usually have good results when I file a BBB complaint.
This is at the dealership you work at?

FN-2187

Reaction score
No I did not purchase an extended warranty. This was the contract for the traceable theft protection. Was a full 3 pages front and back.
I tried to get out of these dealer installed options too. I also had a 200 dollar charge for nitrogen in my tires that I really didn't want to pay. They gave me these little vouchers for 750 bucks off to offset them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would check into the details of that system. Find out if it needs to be activated, registered, then see if you can cancel that way.

Also, don't know what trim you have, but most comes with uconnect free for like the first 6 months or so, is this separate "factory" addon? Check to see if other cars on the lot stickers show the same.

Just really odd that this piece of equipment is on...like they don't trust uconnect or something. That's just my thought.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
The company that the system goes through has already said that any cancelation needs to be done with the selling dealer. I had several other products that used the same company, that is why I called. Wanted to cancel direct with them but couldn't. The only thing I have registered was lo jack, which was through the GPS service which was also a dealer add on. Mine is a 2021 Ram big horn 1500.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is at the dealership you work at?
No. My dealer removed employee discounts for brand new cars on the lot (due to the shortage). Since I work for a large chain, that applied to every dealer in the chain. Only way we could get a deal was to order the car. Ram deals in our network were $5-6K more then other dealers.

U

User_3336

He said it was a separate "dealer-add-on". Says "SKYLINK" GPS Stolen Vehicle Recovery System". Its right there on the "add-on" sticker. the "factory" equivalent to this would have been the MOPAR EVTS.

Are you referring to Sirius Guardian (reference to UConnect)? Its typically on a head unit that has NAV, or Uconnect 4C. Normally free for 1 yr.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The company that the system goes through has already said that any cancelation needs to be done with the selling dealer. I had several other products that used the same company, that is why I called. Wanted to cancel direct with them but couldn't. The only thing I have registered was lo jack, which was through the GPS service which was also a dealer add on. Mine is a 2021 Ram big horn 1500.
Could the dealer call instead, and cancel it? Don't know why the dealer would be hesitant to call and cancel something, and get a refund on something like this.

It would be just good customer service to at least try and to that for the customer.

U

User_3336

Could the dealer call instead, and cancel it? Don't know why the dealer would be hesitant to call and cancel something, and get a refund on something like this.

It would be just good customer service to at least try and to that for the customer.

Its not that they CAN'T, its just appears that they don't want to.......It was a profit margin built into the original sale, so they appear to be stalling, and making "we can't" their statement.

Users who are viewing this thread