5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My neighbor across the street just bought a new RAM. He traded in his 2013 with 170K miles and got $12K for it. He now spends a lot of time looking at all that I've done to mine and discussing what you can do. His wife now HATES me because he's buying something new every week 😮

davidn0021

Reaction score
My neighbor across the street just bought a new RAM. He traded in his 2013 with 170K miles and got $12K for it. He now spends a lot of time looking at all that I've done to mine and discussing what you can do. His wife now HATES me because he's buying something new every week 😮
Ha, I don't bother telling my wife anything. She doesn't even realize I got new wheels for the truck. Although I did tell her about the PPF and ceramic coating because she had to pick me up from the place... now a new package just shows up and she says she'll match my packages for packages for her. And hers are usually much more expensive than mine!

Spaz86

Reaction score
Ha, I don't bother telling my wife anything. She doesn't even realize I got new wheels for the truck. Although I did tell her about the PPF and ceramic coating because she had to pick me up from the place... now a new package just shows up and she says she'll match my packages for packages for her. And hers are usually much more expensive than mine!
Lmfao. My wife buys me all the extra stuff

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get all my stuff for mods shipped to my office. LOL
On the weekend, I then tell my wife I’m going down to the garage to “putter around”.
None the wiser......till she gets in the truck and I hear “Is that new”?
”Na Honey....It came with the truck. You just never noticed”

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get all my stuff for mods shipped to my office. LOL
On the weekend, I then tell my wife I’m going down to the garage to “putter around”.
None the wiser......till she gets in the truck and I hear “Is that new”?
”Na Honey....It came with the truck. You just never noticed”
I used to do that but my wife has got wiser over the years. Don't even try to hide it anymore.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to do that but my wife has got wiser over the years. Don't even try to hide it anymore.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Trust me. my wife knows too. I’m not fooling her. She just lets me get away with it.
Although, what sparked my initial comment was, I backed into a stump and had to get the bumper replaced. She knew about that.
what she didn’t know about was I backed into a steel post 2 weeks later. That bumper I got shipped to the office and I took my truck into the body shop and got it replaced without her knowing. I wouldn’t have heard the end of that one.
I did learn that if you back up too fast, the bumper sensors don’t have time to react. Now I back up s-l-o-w!

davidn0021

Reaction score
Trust me. my wife knows too. I’m not fooling her. She just lets me get away with it.
Although, what sparked my initial comment was, I backed into a stump and had to get the bumper replaced. She knew about that.
what she didn’t know about was I backed into a steel post 2 weeks later. That bumper I got shipped to the office and I took my truck into the body shop and got it replaced without her knowing. I wouldn’t have heard the end of that one.
I did learn that if you back up too fast, the bumper sensors don’t have time to react. Now I back up s-l-o-w!

Mine used to trigger the brakes when I backed up too quickly out of my driveway. So now I just take it slow anytime I'm in reverse.

joemo

Reaction score
I turned that off!
Damn! I thought this was only me. I just got the 2021 Rebel and the other day backing into the driveway it slammed on the brakes. Neighbors all stopped in their yards and were looking at me like I was a damn student driver. I waved, and started backing up again, only to have it happen again lol... I turned it off right after that..

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I turned that off!

Damn! I thought this was only me. I just got the 2021 Rebel and the other day backing into the driveway it slammed on the brakes. Neighbors all stopped in their yards and were looking at me like I was a damn student driver. I waved, and started backing up again, only to have it happen again lol... I turned it off right after that..

Make sure you guys are only turning off the auto brake system, not the switch on the dash that also turns off the warning system, you really should keep that going.

To turn off just the auto reverse braking, go into your Uconnect menu on your center screen. Go to Safety & Brakes and turn off the auto rear brake. Turn the front toggle switch for reverse sensors back on.

joemo

Reaction score
Make sure you guys are only turning off the auto brake system, not the switch on the dash that also turns off the warning system, you really should keep that going.

To turn off just the auto reverse braking, go into your Uconnect menu on your center screen. Go to Safety & Brakes and turn off the auto rear brake. Turn the front toggle switch for reverse sensors back on.
Thanks for this. I just went out and double checked and thankfully I did it like you mentioned.

joemo

Reaction score
I did a video on this install, and it was very very easy.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did a video on this install, and it was very very easy.
Joe, you may not "think" you need Parking Mode. However, MOST accidents happen in parking lots and not on the road. Parking Mode is one of the more useful features of having a dash cam. Many people caught video of their cars being backed into and caught the license plate which saved them from having to pay for any damage themselves or filing a claim. You should reconsider your choice of not using it ;)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My camera has the parking mode, but I have it turned off because I had battery issues when the camera was in the BMW. I've heard many state here that the trucks go mindless when the battery drains. I don't want that to happen and I'm hoping that the camera will protect me while driving and that I'm "safer" when parked.

Has anybody had issues with battery run down with the camera in parking mode? I know I can set the low limit voltage that the battery will drop to, but is there any concern with this? The last thing I want is my truck to go into stupid mode because of battery drain.

joemo

Reaction score
Joe, you may not "think" you need Parking Mode. However, MOST accidents happen in parking lots and not on the road. Parking Mode is one of the more useful features of having a dash cam. Many people caught video of their cars being backed into and caught the license plate which saved them from having to pay for any damage themselves or filing a claim. You should reconsider your choice of not using it ;)
I will take a look. It is as simple as changing which fuse the dashcam is plugged into. I can leave the radar detector as is. Thanks

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will take a look. It is as simple as changing which fuse the dashcam is plugged into. I can leave the radar detector as is. Thanks
In order to establish PARKING MODE, you typically need a device like in the link below. The device connects to the fuse panels BATTERY and ACCESSORY feeds and ground. The camera then attaches to the output of the device monitoring the battery voltage and shutting the camera down when that voltage is reached. Some of the newer upper-tier camera, like my Blackvue DR750X, have this device built into the camera now to simplify installation. The installation of a Power Magic Pro is super easy and highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread