5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handgun Mount

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
In Florida if you want to it is Legal to just lay your gun up on the dashboard. Yes my State Trooper brother said it might make an officer nervous but it is still Legal. They probably will not ask you if you are pulled over if you have a gun. LOL

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In Florida if you want to it is Legal to just lay your gun up on the dashboard. Yes my State Trooper brother said it might make an officer nervous but it is still Legal. They probably will not ask you if you are pulled over if you have a gun. LOL
You might want to double check that. Your state trooper brother is wrong. Open carry in Florida is against the law. You can carry a firearm in your car without a permit, but it must be encased and not readily accessible. A concealed carry permit allows you carry your gun in the car, but it must be concealed!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holstered, yeah. bare gun, no. Needs a lid, snap, clip or something you need to do to access the gun. a ziplock is no good as you could still reach the gun. a bookbag or the anything with a lid is ok.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to double check that. Your state trooper brother is wrong. Open carry in Florida is against the law. You can carry a firearm in your car without a permit, but it must be encased and not readily accessible. A concealed carry permit allows you carry your gun in the car, but it must be concealed!
yeah and thall shall not print too. aka concealed enough that is isn't recognizable that you have a gun.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
yeah and thall shall not print too. aka concealed enough that is isn't recognizable that you have a gun.
That stinks.
This is why I love having open carry in TX. While I don’t open carry, we def. don‘t have to worry about printing since if the gun prints or is visible in any way, it would be considered open, so you are covered by the law either way.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Printing isn't against the law in Florida. They also lessened the penalty for accidental display. They reworded the law to state that it isn't brandishing unless you're showing it in a rude, menacing, threatening or angry manner. So, if you reach for something and your concealed weapon becomes visible, it isn't a crime. Also, showing a firearm to a friend, in public, is not a crime.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Printing isn't against the law in Florida. They also lessened the penalty for accidental display. They reworded the law to state that it isn't brandishing unless you're showing it in a rude, menacing, threatening or angry manner. So, if you reach for something and your concealed weapon becomes visible, it isn't a crime. Also, showing a firearm to a friend, in public, is not a crime.
TX used to be very strict about printing before open carry.
Glad to hear FL has made those changes and reworded the law.

Cheers,

Bluesurf

Reaction score
If you are in Texas your car is no different than your home. No License required if it stays in the car and home. I would bet that there are more unlicensed guns in cars than licensed.

"Texas law doesn't require a license to carry a handgun to transport a gun in a vehicle. The gun must be concealed and not displayed out in the open. It's legal to carry a handgun in a recreational vehicle or a boat whether or not the owner has a valid concealed weapons permit."

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In Florida, you can carry a gun in your car at 18, but it cannot be visible. You do not need a permit to carry and carry in your car, but it is required that the gun be encased and not readily accessible. A holster is considered encased, so I think some of these options listed in this thread might be allowed, but I don't know that for a fact. Open carry in your car is illegal. If I have my gun on my hip, in a holster, exposed, it's considered open carry if I'm walking around downtown, so I think it's the same in the car that the holster encases it, but it's still visible, which is illegal.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
but you can open carry in florida if you are going to or from a gun range hunting or other lawful firearm activity...

LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
<big list of every gun thing possible >

fl laws are all kinds of crazy...

Reaction score

This is what I use - it's fantastic. I have it on the last bit of flat part of the lower area to the right side of my knee area. It screws in with 4 small screws, but it's fantastic. Let's you push down to chamber a round before you pull it away from the mount if necessary.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's "ok" that it lets you push down to chamber a round, but myself personally, I carry with a round chambered! I know some states don't allow that, but during a panic situation, to remember to rack a round before you can use your protection is wasted time. Most instances you're dealing with a split second response requirement.

Being mounted in this way, does it get in the way at all? Even with cruise control on and resting your right leg, does this get hit by your knee?

Reaction score
That's "ok" that it lets you push down to chamber a round, but myself personally, I carry with a round chambered! I know some states don't allow that, but during a panic situation, to remember to rack a round before you can use your protection is wasted time. Most instances you're dealing with a split second response requirement.

Being mounted in this way, does it get in the way at all? Even with cruise control on and resting your right leg, does this get hit by your knee?
I agree with your sentiment but my CM9 doesn't have a safety so, keeping one out of the chamber is an excellent safety practice. Plus the .3 seconds it takes to push that down before pulling it out isn't going to make a difference if someone already has the jump on you.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I agree with your sentiment but my CM9 doesn't have a safety so, keeping one out of the chamber is an excellent safety practice. Plus the .3 seconds it takes to push that down before pulling it out isn't going to make a difference if someone already has the jump on you.
Here’s my .02 cents. so take if for what it’s worth.

Yes, your CM9 does have a safety (a passive striker block), so, unless you squeeze that DAO trigger, you can drop it on a concrete floor on it’s muzzle end, it will NOT fire.

Also, It’s not just speed (well it is), but more importantly, it is about remembering to follow certain procedures under duress. Same with a manual safety. When you are under attack and adrenaline starts to flow and get tunnel vision, and need to reach and draw, a lot of the fine motor skills like disengaging a safety or racking the slide go out the window, unless you train extensively. Even then, a lot of folks that do train, fail to do these things when sub-second decisions count the most, so yeah, .3 seconds coudl mean the difference between living or dying. Your choice brother.

Reaction score
Here’s my .02 cents. so take if for what it’s worth.

Yes, your CM9 does have a safety (a passive striker block), so, unless you squeeze that DAO trigger, you can drop it on a concrete floor on it’s muzzle end, it will NOT fire.

Also, It’s not just speed (well it is), but more importantly, it is about remembering to follow certain procedures under duress. Same with a manual safety. When you are under attack and adrenaline starts to flow and get tunnel vision, and need to reach and draw, a lot of the fine motor skills like disengaging a safety or racking the slide go out the window, unless you train extensively. Even then, a lot of folks that do train, fail to do these things when sub-second decisions count the most, so yeah, .3 seconds coudl mean the difference between living or dying. Your choice brother.
Thanks for taking the time to write that out. I appreciate your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread