5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All - I've attached the TSB I received from RAM Customer Care. So far, this has worked for me and the noise is gone. Good Luck!
This same me as well. I told my dealer the TSB and CASE#. They said they didn't experience the problem but applied the TSB and now everything is working and the sound is gone. Thanks

ram\michael

Reaction score
I plan on giving the dealer a call next week to see about getting in for this and a loose passenger seat. Sure glad to see they have something figured out for this annoying issue. For those that have got it done, did they have to drive with you to hear it or did they take your word and just do it? I've had it for a while but just got new tires this past weekend and it hasn't done it since. Based on other threads, it will most likely come back but I'd like to just get this done now.
I wrote an entire page of the research I did on this issue, and also attached the tsb. In the letter, I mentioned that I needed the tsb applied and a differential fluid change with anti-slip. I dropped it off on Sunday, 26 Sep using their after-hours drop. I got a call the next day around 11am informing me they applied the tsb and differential fluid change. They didn't ask any questions, but they followed my letter to them to the T. The service manager said they drove it around and the sound was gone. I haven't picked it up yet, because I purchased new tires from the dealer, they're really worn (comes with lifetime free tire rotation for life of tire). I'll pick it up tomorrow and post an update on whether the rubbing while turning issue is gone. They did charge around $140 for the diff fluid, but the at flash was free. My truck has 24,000 miles and 2 years old, so it's still under warranty. Is anyone getting this fixed for free that are past their warranty?

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
I wrote an entire page of the research I did on this issue, and also attached the tsb. In the letter, I mentioned that I needed the tsb applied and a differential fluid change with anti-slip. I dropped it off on Sunday, 26 Sep using their after-hours drop. I got a call the next day around 11am informing me they applied the tsb and differential fluid change. They didn't ask any questions, but they followed my letter to them to the T. The service manager said they drove it around and the sound was gone. I haven't picked it up yet, because I purchased new tires from the dealer, they're really worn (comes with lifetime free tire rotation for life of tire). I'll pick it up tomorrow and post an update on whether the rubbing while turning issue is gone. They did charge around $140 for the diff fluid, but the at flash was free. My truck has 24,000 miles and 2 years old, so it's still under warranty. Is anyone getting this fixed for free that are past their warranty?
My truck has 45k on it and I was not charged. I did put a case in with RAM Corporate and they took care of all the communication and billing for the repairs. The TSB should be taken care of under warranty, but I can see them charging you for the diff fluid change since that is not part of any of the repair protocols.

ram\michael

Reaction score
My truck has 45k on it and I was not charged. I did put a case in with RAM Corporate and they took care of all the communication and billing for the repairs. The TSB should be taken care of under warranty, but I can see them charging you for the diff fluid change since that is not part of any of the repair protocols.
Ok, picked my truck up today from the dealer. Got 4 new tires, diff fluid change, and tsb applied. Drives 100% better. No more rubbing noise. Shoutout to Buckeye for saving me and other owners a lot of time and aggrevation.

ACovelle

Reaction score
Rode with them this morning and made it happen pretty consistently. sweet spot is 5-9mph. They are ordering a new steering column, Will update when its replaced.
been 10 weeks now and still no part has come in. Called a month ago and was told I would get a call back. Called two weeks ago and was told "the part will be in tomorrow, we will call to make an appointment"....crickets.

Anyone know a good corporate number to get a fire lit? no idea whats going on and cant get a straight answer from them.

wvinson

Reaction score
been 10 weeks now and still no part has come in. Called a month ago and was told I would get a call back. Called two weeks ago and was told "the part will be in tomorrow, we will call to make an appointment"....crickets.

Anyone know a good corporate number to get a fire lit? no idea whats going on and cant get a straight answer from them.
get Them to do the EPS flash and be on your way -- I don't think it takes very long for the update.

Motorcop71

Reaction score
Took truck in yesterday to have the steering column job done (they had preordered the parts and said they were in) plus I provided them with a printed copy of the bulletin regarding updating the power steering control unit and they said they would do both and the truck would be ready today. They called this morning and told me they broke a bolt while doing the steering column job and had to order a replacement which will take a few days to get so I won’t have the truck back for a while. I will update this thread once I have more information. I also updated my CS rep at RAM corporate.

niftyguy239

Reaction score
My truck is due for an oil change. I am so glad I found this forum and this thread. Gonna have this applied, rear diff fluid switched out, and oil changed. In preparation for my new lift/wheel setup. All of y'all are awesome!

Motorcop71

Reaction score
Finally got the truck back today and so far so good. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Jthom

Reaction score
Have an appointment in a week and a half and just sent this TSB to the service advisor. Will let everyone know what the results are.
Update: They ended up just swapping out the diff fluid for a thicker diff fluid as well as adding the limited slip additive. Solved the issue. They told me Ram had recently changed the spec on the diff fluid so when they had rebuilt the rear diff they put it what is now considered the incorrect fluid.

Evoking1230

Reaction score
thanks guys! Got the same thing, more so on right turns, but faint on left turns as well, only very low speeds. Hopefully they cover it free of charge, 2019 1500, 62K miles on her :-/

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for keeping us updated on the issue. I had the EPS updated today and it hasn’t done it since. Only one day, I know, but it was to the point that it was doing it all the time. Such a relief! I’ll update if I have any issues going forward.

wcrammer

Reaction score
Same problem....2019 Bighorn Hemi is grinding at low speed right turn coming from the front left. A quick vibration like the ABS. I let the dealer know I was having an issue around 34K....they said they could find nothing. Now I'm at 38K out of warrranty and still having the grinding issue at intermittent times. I've had no success recreating the noise. Sounds like a well known problem and I would hope the folks at RAM issue a recall ASAP. This is a huge black eye for the brand.

wvinson

Reaction score
Same problem....2019 Bighorn Hemi is grinding at low speed right turn coming from the front left. A quick vibration like the ABS. I let the dealer know I was having an issue around 34K....they said they could find nothing. Now I'm at 38K out of warrranty and still having the grinding issue at intermittent times. I've had no success recreating the noise. Sounds like a well known problem and I would hope the folks at RAM issue a recall ASAP. This is a huge black eye for the brand.
they'll do the flash of the eps for you and it'll fix it

RHeller1

Reaction score
How is THIS a black eye? By figuring out a simple flash to fix the grinding noise? I would say the exhaust manifolds or rear back window is more of an issue since they havent address a fix yet for those.

tegan

Reaction score
Hey guys. I hope this post helps someone. I started having the sound everyone is having on low speed right hand turns. It started around 15k miles and the truck has 32k on it now. It sounds like a bushing needs some oil in the steering column. I could easily reproduce in any parking lot by making right hand turns. It made the sound at least 4 times a day. I had the factory 20 with Bridgestone tires. They were getting bald so I switched them out with new tires. The sound has not happened in 3 weeks since I put the tires on. The old tires were not rubbing or anything like that. I did notice my old front left was more worn than the other tires. It was evenly worn down. I wonder if this was making abs or stability control to freak out. My issue is resolved for now but thought this could help someone else.

RHeller1

Reaction score
Hey guys. I hope this post helps someone. I started having the sound everyone is having on low speed right hand turns. It started around 15k miles and the truck has 32k on it now. It sounds like a bushing needs some oil in the steering column. I could easily reproduce in any parking lot by making right hand turns. It made the sound at least 4 times a day. I had the factory 20 with Bridgestone tires. They were getting bald so I switched them out with new tires. The sound has not happened in 3 weeks since I put the tires on. The old tires were not rubbing or anything like that. I did notice my old front left was more worn than the other tires. It was evenly worn down. I wonder if this was making abs or stability control to freak out. My issue is resolved for now but thought this could help someone else.
or just get it flashed and really fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread