5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise when turning to the right

RHeller1

Reaction score
I changed my differential fluid with the mopar fluid and added the friction modifier, and it still does the grind. different problem
Did you give it a few days for the fluid to get up in gears?
That was 6000 miles ago that I changed the fluid. Its a different problem...lol

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
Thank you buckeye, you just saved me a lot of headache with the dealer. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, and haven't taken it in yet, but i have an appointment Sep 27. I'm including a copy of the TSB when I drop it off. I'd still like to get the front and rear diff flud with anti-slip additive. Did you also get your diff fluid changed?
You're Welcome! I did not get the diff fluid changed. I can confirm the noise is still gone.

ravenger

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the grinding noise when taking a sharp right turn. Took a few times to get the dealer to acknowledge the problem but they were able to replicate it and replaced the rack and pinion. Problem completely went away.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the grinding noise when taking a sharp right turn. Took a few times to get the dealer to acknowledge the problem but they were able to replicate it and replaced the rack and pinion. Problem completely went away.
As much as we all like to know about the bad ones...this one sounds like a decent dealership. Who are they?

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Had my rack replaced as well and it hasn't happened since

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

ravenger

Reaction score
As much as we all like to know about the bad ones...this one sounds like a decent dealership. Who are they?
It's the local dodge dealer here in Brandon Florida. The mechanic that checked my truck actually had one so he knew what to look for. Replacing the rack and pinion definitely fixed it.

wvinson

Reaction score
Its' a shame these dealers are replacing the whole rack and pinion when its a software update on the EPS! What a waste of money

Scrambler

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that this forum is an absolute godsend in that out of all of our experiences comes the sharing of solutions such as the TSB's & STAR cases so that when we get into the dealers we tell them what needs to be fixed versus us relying on them to diagnose and guess how to fix out trucks. Thus multiple frustrating visits and general dissatisfaction is now just an inconvenience. I had a newer Silverado and I can tell you they have plenty more issues than our RAMs do. Thanks everybody for contributing!

gwatt86

Reaction score
I plan on giving the dealer a call next week to see about getting in for this and a loose passenger seat. Sure glad to see they have something figured out for this annoying issue. For those that have got it done, did they have to drive with you to hear it or did they take your word and just do it? I've had it for a while but just got new tires this past weekend and it hasn't done it since. Based on other threads, it will most likely come back but I'd like to just get this done now.

wvinson

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that this forum is an absolute godsend in that out of all of our experiences comes the sharing of solutions such as the TSB's & STAR cases so that when we get into the dealers we tell them what needs to be fixed versus us relying on them to diagnose and guess how to fix out trucks. Thus multiple frustrating visits and general dissatisfaction is now just an inconvenience. I had a newer Silverado and I can tell you they have plenty more issues than our RAMs do. Thanks everybody for contributing!
You are 100% spot on! I had to hand them information on known TSBs and possible outcomes and it was available for pickup the nest day!

wvinson

Reaction score
I plan on giving the dealer a call next week to see about getting in for this and a loose passenger seat. Sure glad to see they have something figured out for this annoying issue. For those that have got it done, did they have to drive with you to hear it or did they take your word and just do it? I've had it for a while but just got new tires this past weekend and it hasn't done it since. Based on other threads, it will most likely come back but I'd like to just get this done now.
I showed up with the printed out versions of possible fixes and they were willing to do them as a priority because they had tried over avenues to no avail.

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
I will add that I have found an outstanding RAM Case Manager who has done a really good job of holding my dealership accountable and advocating for me with my dealership. This is my second steering issue she has helped me resolve when my dealership basically told me I was crazy and they couldn't replicate the issue.
When I reached out to her for assistance, she is the one who had the TSB on her desk when my dealership said no such TSB existed. She called the service manager at my dealership and got me squared away. My warranty is up and even with 45k miles they covered both issues free of charge. I would highly recommend putting a case in with RAM for anything like this just in case your dealer does not help.

sputnic6

Reaction score
Crazy that this is fixed with a software update. I only notice mine when my tires are worn. Once I replace the tires, the problem goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwatt86

Reaction score
Crazy that this is fixed with a software update. I only notice mine when my tires are worn. Once I replace the tires, the problem goes away.

That's the part I'm struggling with. If its a software update, it seems like new tires would no effect but you're right, new tires and no issue...for now.

sputnic6

Reaction score
That's the part I'm struggling with. If its a software update, it seems like new tires would no effect but you're right, new tires and no issue...for now.

I guess it makes sense since the ESP is designed to monitor/adjust steering/tire rotation so if there are variables that change, I.e. change in circumference, slippage from worn tire, it could be outside of the ESP parameters and the problem is present.

Users who are viewing this thread