5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye HEMI

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get were you are coming from with the asbestos comparison. With asbestos though, we used it to manufacture everything. Drywall, floor covering, adhesives, insulation, drywall joint compound, popcorn ceiling spray, pipe and duct wrap, gaskets and seals just to name a few. Heck it was even in some cigarette filters, WTF?!?

In addition, asbestos is friable, so it can become airborne and inhaled.

I don't think bullets are quite that widespread. I mean, maybe in downtown Chicago or something but not most places. 😄 I would think if you are having lead poisoning issues from a bullet it is more serious than simple exposure.
Lots of people inhaling lead in Chicago

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get were you are coming from with the asbestos comparison. With asbestos though, we used it to manufacture everything. Drywall, floor covering, adhesives, insulation, drywall joint compound, popcorn ceiling spray, pipe and duct wrap, gaskets and seals just to name a few. Heck it was even in some cigarette filters, WTF?!?

I don't think bullets are quite that widespread. I mean, maybe in downtown Chicago or something but not most places. 😄 I would think if you are having lead poisoning issues from a bullet it is more serious than simple exposure.
Don't forget BRAKES! The dust inhaled by mechanics killed a lot of people.

I also belonged to a gun club and there was a stream nearby. There was runoff from the range into the stream which seriously increased the per million particle tests of lead in the water. The club was forced by the State & EPA to abate the lead and they came up with a great solution. They screened the dirt from the berm behind the targets and used the lead to fill overhead baffles that kept bullets from leaving the range. The stream cleared up and its estimated that every 10 years the process need to be done again. With the current ammo shortages it be every 20 years now!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Don't forget BRAKES! The dust inhaled by mechanics killed a lot of people.

I also belonged to a gun club and there was a stream nearby. There was runoff from the range into the stream which seriously increased the per million particle tests of lead in the water. The club was forced by the State & EPA to abate the lead and they came up with a great solution. They screened the dirt from the berm behind the targets and used the lead to fill overhead baffles that kept bullets from leaving the range. The stream cleared up and its estimated that every 10 years the process need to be done again. With the current ammo shortages it be every 20 years now!
Yes, a range would be an instance where mitigation would be needed. It is very concentrated. Indoor ranges recycle lead. I know I have bought ingots of range lead for casting slugs. It is already the right alloy consistency!

In general I don't believe the scattering of shot while bird hunting or the few rounds spent by private people hunting or shooting is killing the environment.

Sorry though, did not mean to drag this thread off topic.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I kinda figured you were talking in reference to projectiles only- I totally agree with you there. In my original reply, I was thinking more in manufacturing terms (just like asbestos). Inhaling lead as it burns or if it is ground small enough to inhale (and concentration was high) would be an issue.

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
One problem we face is that while they can't easily phase out ICE engines, they can regulate gasoline beyond reasonable market value. The what do they have?
I believe you’re right about that. I just did the math. Gas in Holland is $8.92 a gallon. On top of that you are taxed for the weight of your vehicle.

Scram1500

Reaction score
By 2026 we'll be drving vehicles that need to run on pixie dust according to this, might not even see the GME-T6

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These articles make it sound worse than it actually is (and it's still going to suck, especially if you want anything with a V8). The mandated average will be going up , but not to 55 by '26. It increases incrementally from '23 to '26 with the '26 fleet average being 40 MPG (per window sticker numbers). Not everything will be 40 MPG obviously, and buying or trading 'carbon credits' will still be a thing so automakers can continue to buy their way into compliance if needed. The 55 MPG is an imaginary BS number derived from pretending that all greenhouse gas reductions by '26 would come exclusively from reduced tailpipe emissions.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/20/biden-epa-fuel-economy-standards/

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emi...l-rule-revise-existing-national-ghg-emissions

Scram1500

Reaction score
These articles make it sound worse than it actually is (and it's still going to suck, especially if you want anything with a V8). The mandated average will be going up , but not to 55 by '26. It increases incrementally from '23 to '26 with the '26 fleet average being 40 MPG (per window sticker numbers). Not everything will be 40 MPG obviously, and buying or trading 'carbon credits' will still be a thing so automakers can continue to buy their way into compliance if needed. The 55 MPG is an imaginary BS number derived from pretending that all greenhouse gas reductions by '26 would come exclusively from reduced tailpipe emissions.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/20/biden-epa-fuel-economy-standards/

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emi...l-rule-revise-existing-national-ghg-emissions
That makes it sound like it's all about the Benjamins and not the planet

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with you on that. I think they are aiming and trying to get more people to convert to electric to minimize the amount of gas required vehicles. They can’t phase out gas powered vehicles completely, but what if the majority of people that don’t travel long distances or don’t tow go out and buy electric. That will leave the gas powered to the people that require it or just enjoy that better. I think people will change over faster once it’s readily available and those people are ok with it and won’t complain as they don’t need/require those options.
I agreed with you both until i saw this concept! I think I could switch to electric if this becomes more than just a concept.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread