5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye HEMI

ChrisID

Reaction score
I just registered because of this thread. No one is mentioning towing credentials with EV. Here's my take on it.
I routinely tow 5-6K lbs, 300 mile round trips to remote off-road racing areas
Calcs:
300 miles, 10mpg - 30 gal of gas.
30 gal of gas = 3,600,00 BTU's which equals approx. 1000 KWh needed.
How in the hell am I going to do that trip in one day as I do now, with an EV. Stop 4-5 times to charge (or more)?
So my roughly 12 hr day now goes to 2 day trips?
And there will never be charging stations where we go. Will we have to bring generators? And would they have to be 800v units? This is nuts and on the extreme of impractical.

Here's some decent info I just found:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You don't need an article to know the V8 and eventually all gas engines are on their way out. This shouldn't surprise anyone. How soon, anyone's guess. The reason for the V6 turbo is probably because Stellantis isn't actually that far advanced with EV tech, so they will likely need to wean off gas engines longer and the V6 turbo is their best way to maintain stricter emissions while changing over the full EV.

GM on the other hand will probably keep V8s until they switch to full EV since their EV tech is pretty strong and need less time to drop gas engines. Ford is probably even farther along, with majority of their trucks/suvs already using smaller displacement gas motors and coming out with a full EV 1500 class in a few months.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
all the issues mentioned that are holding back some from considering electric, are going to be solved much sooner than you think. With all due respect, those who say they will be able to buy ICE vehicles for a long time to come, haven't been watching what is happening out there. 12 states currently have plans to ban any gas powered vehicle sales by 2035. Article here And Congress approved a plan to phase out all gas cars by 2030! Article here

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
all the issues mentioned that are holding back some from considering electric, are going to be solved much sooner than you think. With all due respect, those who say they will be able to buy ICE vehicles for a long time to come, haven't been watching what is happening out there. 12 states currently have plans to ban any gas powered vehicle sales by 2035. Article here And Congress approved a plan to phase out all gas cars by 2030! Article here
And one good freeze with massive power outages for days will kick us back to the ICE. The grid isn’t robust enough to handle the load-o-crap the Dems/Libs are pushing to get everything electric. Just as when oil prices goes up and folks dump their gas guzzlers, we will see the same with EV when the grid fails. There is no perfect solution - yet.

I saw it first hand here in Houston during the big freeze of March 2021. I had three neighbors who asked to ride with me as their fancy Teslas and one Bolt had no way to charge. Now, only one has an EV.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The key word in both those articles is NEW. They are only proposing to ban NEW sales (and that can change as the deadline gets nearer and it becomes clear that it won't work) Nobody has proposed banning ALL ICE vehicles...yet. If it does come to pass in 2030/35 there will still be plenty of used ICE vehicles available (and their prices will spike...again).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If this turns out to be true, I’m happy about it. It’s time to bring these trucks into the 21st-century(powertrain-wise). There is a replacement for displacement- it’s forced induction.
Small displacement forced induction engines need to work harder to produce the same power. Which means they will wear out faster. Sure, you can get a lot of power out of a turbocharged or supercharged engine. And they're more than adequate in a small or mid-sized car. But in a full-sized truck, that engine will wear out faster than a truck with a v6 or v8 NA engine if both are doing the same work.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
And one good freeze with massive power outages for days will kick us back to the ICE. The grid isn’t robust enough to handle the load-o-crap the Dems/Libs are pushing to get everything electric. Just as when oil prices goes up and folks dump their gas guzzlers, we will see the same with EV when the grid fails. There is no perfect solution - yet.

I saw it first hand here in Houston during the big freeze of March 2021. I had three neighbors who asked to ride with me as their fancy Teslas and one Bolt had no way to charge. Now, only one has an EV.
it is not just who you believe it is behind this

Elon Musk is as right as they come

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it is not just who you believe it is behind this

Elon Musk is as right as they come
I never discounted Musk being an advocate but at least he is doing it because he’s a capitalist. No altruistic motive here like the Dems/Libs who have bought into it by saying it is saving the planet by going EV. Musk is in it for the bucks - pure and simple. And if he says otherwise we all know he’s full of something other than lithium ions. 😉

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Well we honestly got some time. 10-20 years before all manufacturers stop the sale of new gas vehicles, probably another 10 or more years after that when the majority of gas vehicles will likely be replaced with EVs due to age. So 20-30 years before the majority of the population is using EVs vs Gas powered.

I suspect by then we will have transitioned with better technology and infrastructure. But nothing is set in stone, if there isn't a large enough market or capabilities, that timeline will get pushed back.

Also, no one is dumping their gas guzzlers because of gas prices, people know gas prices will drop again and the economy is too good to force people out of them. Historically, based on inflation, we need gas at around $6-7 a gallon to get them to change buying habits in this current market.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well we honestly got some time. 10-20 years before all manufacturers stop the sale of new gas vehicles, probably another 10 or more years after that when the majority of gas vehicles will likely be replaced with EVs due to age. So 20-30 years before the majority of the population is using EVs vs Gas powered.

I suspect by then we will have transitioned with better technology and infrastructure. But nothing is set in stone, if there isn't a large enough market or capabilities, that timeline will get pushed back.

Also, no one is dumping their gas guzzlers because of gas prices, people know gas prices will drop again and the economy is too good to force people out of them. Historically, based on inflation, we need gas at around $6-7 a gallon to get them to change buying habits in this current market.
You’re sadly misinformed if you don’t think the gas guzzlers aren’t being traded with high fuel prices. There are more 2000 - 2012 models being traded and/or sold at auction because owners are opting for the new trucks that get 20 mpg average versus 14. My brother works for Autonation and said they haven’t seen so many people upgrading from older vehicles with the #1 reason being they seeking better fuel mileage…and that is buyers who are trading truck for truck a not downsizing from truck to small car/suv.

jkm312

Reaction score
Times R a changin, they always have. The buying public, infrastructure and manufacturers are not able to be as nimble as some who are trying to drive the changes think they are. We all for the most part want to do out part. The oceans are warming and emitting more moisture into the atmosphere. None of us can ignore or deny climate change, shifting weather patterns and harsher weather events are not real.

Are EV cars and trucks the answer? Looks like it for now, but consider. I don't know how to figure out how much energy per day we as nation use and receive from gasoline. Can we get that same amount of energy from electricity, in a cleaner, more efficient, and economical form. What does it take to produce that energy AND deliver it? What's it going to take to get enough charging stations established for all the EV's coming down the pipe at us. It takes a 200 AMP service for the normal household to sustain one slow charger, what about two. 400 AMP service for quick charging. Utilities will have to approve the 400 AMP service. They may not be able to on a large scale. A grocery store here have installed a charging posts in front of their store. I've yet to see an EV using them, but I've seen a lot of junk crustbusters parked there because the smart*** are too dispectful and lazy to walk.

A comparable Ford EV 150 to a Limited prices out to about $90,000 in some articles I have read in the past few months. That $20,000 difference buys a lot of gasoline in todays world. Do you really want to volunteer to get out of a full size pick up into an EV car. I don't, I use the truck part of the truck. I hate to think I'm going to be penalized because I drive a truck by choice. Always have.

Another issue to overcome is with the batteries. Manufacturing, servicing, replacing and recycling the raw material in them. China is investing in Africa for the minerals, are we doing that? Nope. Asleep at the wheel again.

Lots of issues to overcome before we are even beginning to switch to EV's on a large scale. I agree with SD Rebel, it's a ways off.

In the morning when I get on the highway, I'm going to light that HEMI up going down the on ramp one more time for the hell of it!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Small displacement forced induction engines need to work harder to produce the same power. Which means they will wear out faster. Sure, you can get a lot of power out of a turbocharged or supercharged engine. And they're more than adequate in a small or mid-sized car. But in a full-sized truck, that engine will wear out faster than a truck with a v6 or v8 NA engine if both are doing the same work.
Agree to disagree.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You’re sadly misinformed if you don’t think the gas guzzlers aren’t being traded with high fuel prices. There are more 2000 - 2012 models being traded and/or sold at auction because owners are opting for the new trucks that get 20 mpg average versus 14. My brother works for Autonation and said they haven’t seen so many people upgrading from older vehicles with the #1 reason being they seeking better fuel mileage…and that is buyers who are trading truck for truck a not downsizing from truck to small car/suv.

I was referring to people trading in late model vehicles specifically due to gas prices, essentially what happened back in 2008 - 2010.

Not people with already older vehicles that are trading them for modern vehicles, of course they want to get something with better mpg when choosing a modern replacement.

What I'm talking about is someone trading in a 2017 RAM to get a 2021 Camry because of gas prices, downsizing a late model vehicle just for better mpg. That is not happening at this time.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My take: no point in worrying about **** that will or won't happen. Either everything will be electric in 10 years or it won't. If the day comes that I can't get gas anymore, I'll do something different. Until then I am going to enjoy driving my truck and I'll pivot if/when I have to pivot.

There's no point in fighting change. It is coming, whether anyone likes it or not. 20 years ago the big ***** fest in car forums was how all vehicles were going to drive by wire instead of mechanical cables. When's the last time you saw anyone bitching about that on here? Never.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yes, The Squad has everyone cowering to them to get their way. Green makes them feel good about themselves.

Electric is cool but we have a long way to go yet. As pointed out the infrastructure won't take it.

As far as "Global Warming" goes... yep. Sure enough, temperatures on earth change as the gases in the star we orbit boil and change on a scale that dwarfs our tiny spec of a planet. The earth has been through many heat and cool cycles that we know of, probably many we don't. Even before people existed. I guess we blame ice ages and the thawing of ice ages on dinosaur farts?

Don't worry, as soon as we figure out the propulsion system on the alien craft they moved from Area 51 to the real undisclosed location, we'll have clean energy.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Literally every government in all the histories :LOL:
This current government shut down a major pipeline the first day in office, if I recall the same guy opposed the Alaska pipeline in the 70's. The fuel still has to get where it's going, just in less efficient more dangerous manner. More chances of spills nevermind the damage to roads and diesel emmissions to move all that petroleum instead of squirting it through a tube.

On a global scale it gets even messier, but hey, no mean tweets so we got that going for us

Users who are viewing this thread