Getting Through Firewall Of 2019 Ram 1500 - How do you run a power wire from the battery through the firewall and into the cab of a 2019 Ram 1500?

Richard G

Reaction score
Hello, I have a general question about getting through the firewall of a 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn, Hemi, NO E-torque.

I have a HAM radio (as in a 2-way radio, CB, etc) that I want to wire directly to the battery. The radio needs 20 amps (it would work with 15 amps but I was told I should go more to be safe).

My previous truck was a 2015 Ram 1500 and running a wire directly from the battery into the cab of the truck was very easy, thanks to a hole that was preinstalled from the factory in the firewall, directly behind the battery. The hole was covered with a plastic cover that made it very easy to find, and the cover was easy to remove or drill through, allowing for the passage of a wire.

I have examined the firewall of the 2019 truck, trying to find a way to get a wire from the battery through the firewall but I have not had any success.

Does anyone know if the 2019 Ram has an easy way through the firewall like the previous models? O is there another alternative that would be just as effective?

My sincere appreciation and thanks in advance for everyone’s time in helping with this problem.

jamesfg

Reaction score
There is a big rubber grommet right by the steering wheel. Slice a hole into the grommet and feed your wire thru.

W9MCP

Reaction score
Follow up Q:

What type of antenna and mount did you go with, and how did you route the coax to the antenna out of the cab? I’ll be installing my FT-891 in my 2019 Limited sometime soon, so this will be applicable :)

Rich

Reaction score
For those hams here, what did you install, and how much transmit power and what frequency have you tested with?

I'd like to know if the RF transmitters would mess up the truck's electronics at all. Past vehicles have had warnings in the manuals about installing transmitting devices, but I haven't seen any mention in the RAM owners manual about this.

He57mi

Reaction score
Is there a way that routing the wire through the back of the cab? The place between the bed and the back seat.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
For those hams here, what did you install, and how much transmit power and what frequency have you tested with?

I'd like to know if the RF transmitters would mess up the truck's electronics at all. Past vehicles have had warnings in the manuals about installing transmitting devices, but I haven't seen any mention in the RAM owners manual about this.
I have been using a 50W mobile on 2M and 75cm with no issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)