5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get the Best Price on a Factory Extended Warranty

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is not. You will be fine.

They are saying that you can't have anything covered that is a pre-existing condition (basically something that was your fault and you didn't get it fixed). Your basic warranty covers the backup camera so it will be working by the time the ESP kicks in at 3 years or 36K miles.

Basically you need to buy the ESP before you need it. You can't wait until something goes wrong, buy an ESP, then have the ESP pay to fix it (minus any deductible on the policy).

It's the same thing with other insurance plans. You can't wreck your truck, get vehicle insurance, then get it repaired under the policy. Pre-existing conditions don't count.

I've had my truck into the dealership 8 or 9 times during the basic warranty and I've had no issues with the ESP. In fact, they are replacing more parts for the same issue I had it in for during the basic warranty.

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About to buy an extended warranty. At the checkout page for Chrysler Factory Plans (Zeigler), there's a checkbox: "I understand that existing repair conditions are not covered, under any circumstance." I've had my 2021 RAM in for repair of the backup camera (to be replaced when the part arrives). Does anyone know if the rear camera is an "existing repair condition" that won't ever be covered by the extended warranty?
I would think this means more for those right near the end of the factory warranty with existing issues they want repaired. Since yours was fixed under the factory warranty it should be covered by the extended once you purchase it.

LouNY

Reaction score
That will see be under your factory 3/36 warranty,
your extended will not start till the other is done.
So your 3/36, then your power train, then your emmision then fianlly your extended.

fubar414

Reaction score
Just signed up for the 8/85/200 today $1175 thanks for the thread!

realralfy

Reaction score
Glad I checked this thread again and saw the price increase......Ziegler has the price increase notice on their website effective 5-1-21, but the prices seem unchanged for now. I bet they update the website after the weekend...

I pulled the trigger on a 8yr/125k....cost $2350 after "payinfull" coupon...

Yangster

Reaction score
I used the Get a Quote option on the Ziegler site on 4/28 and was going to purchase on either Thurs/Fri. Well, I forgot about it till 5/2 Sunday night and thought Oh Crap! I plugged in the quote # that I had and it came up with the same price, so I bought it and got the confirmation email this morning. The new pricing will probably get updated this week. Dodged (or maybe Rammed 😅 ) another bullet!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally received my 3rd party warranty refund... thankfully I got 95% of my purchase price back. Seems like the prices still haven't gone up as my quote is the same now as it was a month ago.

Last edited:

flyingdonkey

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the limits are on miles for getting an extended warranty on a used truck?

I am looking to pickup a 2019 1500 with 74,000 miles, CPO, but none of these web only quotes seem to cover a used purchase.

Thanks!

U

User_3336

Attachments

• used.pdf
    254.5 KB · Views: 6

flyingdonkey

Reaction score
The vehicle might have to have a vehicle inspection performed. You will probably have to call for plan quotes for a used vehicle.

Thanks! I am actually going to look at it tomorrow and potentially buy it, it is from a RAM dealer so falls under CPO (will get the 3yr/3k and 7yr/100k powertrain), just dont want to get reamed in person at the dealer, or miss the chance if it has to be done at time of purchase.

I will try giving them a call before I head to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I am actually going to look at it tomorrow and potentially buy it, it is from a RAM dealer so falls under CPO (will get the 3yr/3k and 7yr/100k powertrain), just dont want to get reamed in person at the dealer, or miss the chance if it has to be done at time of purchase.

I will try giving them a call before I head to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
If you are going to ask the dealership about a warranty be sure you take the Ziegler quote with you (or have it on your phone). The dealership will most likely push a 3rd party warranty (to maximize their profits) and may offer a Mopar one (which will be priced way above what Ziegler will cost you).

Since the truck is outside the basic warranty (3yrs/36K miles) the policy starts the day you purchase it so there is no rush to buy it before you drive off the lot.

Don't feel you need to buy a policy at the dealership unless you are planning to roll that into the financing. You will pay more in the end but it does make the price more palatable for a couple of extra bucks a month instead on digging into your wallet right after buying a new (to you) truck.

Whatever you do, though, I recommend only getting a Mopar warranty regardless of the dealership you buy it from.

Last edited:

flyingdonkey

Reaction score
If you are going to ask the dealership about a warranty be sure you take the Ziegler quote with you (or have it on your phone). The dealership will most likely push a 3rd party warranty (to maximize their profits) and may offer a Mopar one (which will be priced way above what Ziegler will cost you).

Since the truck is outside the basic warranty (3yrs/36K miles) the policy starts the day you purchase it so there is no rush to buy it before you drive off the lot.

Don't feel you need to buy a policy at the dealership unless you are planning to roll that into the financing. You will pay more in the end but it does make the price more palatable for a couple of extra bucks a month instead on digging into your wallet right after buying a new (to you) truck.

Whatever you do, though, I recommend only getting a Mopar warranty regardless of the dealership you buy it from.
Yeah the high miles were killer, Ziegler was $4500 for 4y/48k max care. Dealer I was at was $5500 and tried pushing their Ally warranty, which was only like 20% cheaper.
Ended up with mopar through dealer as they were able to match Ziegler and roll into finance.

Hard pill to swallow, but worth it in the end I think for that piece of mind given the high miles.

Thanks for all the advice!

raven7

Reaction score
Just got a quote from Ziegler . The prices have really gone up . Don't think I will be buying a warranty any time soon.

Attachments

• 2021-05-11_11-01-50.jpg
    2021-05-11_11-01-50.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87

raven7

Reaction score
Yeah the high miles were killer, Ziegler was $4500 for 4y/48k max care. Dealer I was at was $5500 and tried pushing their Ally warranty, which was only like 20% cheaper.
Ended up with mopar through dealer as they were able to match Ziegler and roll into finance.

Hard pill to swallow, but worth it in the end I think for that piece of mind given the high miles.

Thanks for all the advice!
WOW that seems like a lot of money. What could possibly go wrong on the vehicle that could cost $4500. That you could pay when it failed.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are prices I'm seeing on the max care before PAYINFULL discount code applied on a Diesel 1500 2021 with less than 12,000 miles. After 12K miles, the cost to warranty does go up.

via - https://www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com/get-coverage/
ctsoV4K.png

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a quote from Ziegler . The prices have really gone up . Don't think I will be buying a warranty any time soon.
Give it a couple of months and the prices will probably drop some. They dropped a bit after the spike the last two years.

U

User_3336

Not all plans had price changes... Some did, some didn't. I was told that the higher mileage and longer year(s) plans are the ones that had the most price increases.

P.S. You stated that your vehicle already had 25,000 miles on it. There are already two surcharges ALREADY tacked on to your quote before the price hike. One surcharge @ 12,000, then another @ 24,000.

you said the plan had "really gone up", but do you have a printed quote for the same coverage BEFORE the prices went up.

The two surcharges I spoke of already hurt you about $400.

realralfy

Reaction score
For reference...

Last week, before the price increase, l bought an 8 yr 125k plan for my 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4, 9000 miles for $2350 after the "payinfull" discount...

After the price increase, that same plan after discount is $2490

Went up $140

Users who are viewing this thread