5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gauge Cluster lighting

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to wait to post an update but mine is at the dealer right now, because I pushed the issue more with the service director even though Star closed the case. The got a regional tech advisor involved and now are conducting a laundry list of things that RAM sent them. I don't know what they are but from the sound of it, it could voltages, etc. because he said the checklist was long and the cluster will have to be removed to complete the checklist.

I'll update when I know more. Thanks!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just took pics of mine to confirm. Looks normal with auto dimming and full blast in my dark parking garage:

809A1358-10ED-47A8-B161-C2FA4AD44395.jpeg A6BB9DFA-9C77-41E1-9161-CF8038F014EE.jpeg

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yours is not normal, the first picture shows uneven lighting and that is not how it's supposed to be.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yours is not normal, the first picture shows uneven lighting and that is not how it's supposed to be.

Well that looks pretty normal to me. If that is what you guys are concerned about, then I gotta say that I don’t think it’s an issue.

Also, how do you know how it’s supposed to look like in the first place? The pic of the etorque truck could have been in highest setting like in my picture, so, again, I am not sure that this is a problem.

Cheers,
Neurobit.

Last edited:

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that looks pretty normal to me. If that is what you guys are concerned about, then I gotta say that I don’t think it’s an issue.

Cheers,
Neurobit.

I won't argue what you think is normal considering I have seen it look different on a new vehicle. I do have a question for you, when you say auto dimming vs full blast. What do you mean? When the headlights are on you are using the dimmer dial that clicks at full stop?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Correct. First pic the cluster auto dims (or at least UConnect does), and it's at highest it will go without clicking into full brightness. Second pic is at full brightness.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thanks, without your headlights on this switch seems to do nothing, which is interesting because there is some ambient light sensor somewhere because I have seen the gauges be different levels of brightness without the headlights on.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok thanks, without your headlights on this switch seems to do nothing, which is interesting because there is some ambient light sensor somewhere because I have seen the gauges be different levels of brightness without the headlights on.

You bet!

XDBrad

Reaction score
I got my cluster replaced today (it went dark on day 1). It took the dealer a whole week just to get the part in, only an hour to replace it but another 19 showed up there today with the same issue . Not sure if mine is related to the bright spots issue but something aggravating none the less.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got my cluster replaced today (it went dark on day 1). It took the dealer a whole week just to get the part in, only an hour to replace it but another 19 showed up there today with the same issue . Not sure if mine is related to the bright spots issue but something aggravating none the less.

Hmmm, that could be interesting. My dash looks like @Neurobit and I'd have to agree that 1, I dont notice it, and 2, I probably didn't notice it because I assumed it was by design.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but if new trucks coming off the line really dont have it, and ours now with the uneven lighting are a flaw that are causing units to go dark...that would be an issue

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't believe it's by design. Only illuminating some numbers seems silly.

Twoamen

Reaction score
You know, I'm suspicious of everything any more. Before you take to dealer to repair, replace or fix. Get a marker, make a small mark notch or something to identify your part to repair. I have had things listed as work done on warranty service, oil changes etc. Like rotors turned on second oil change. Alignment, couple other things they charged back to Chrysler. They even listed them on my owner website under repair. I reported to Chrysler on fraudulent charges.... Nothing happened. I changed to a more reputable dealer. Bottom line I don't trust them. Who's to say they even changed the Gauge cluster?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked my truck up yesterday and they took the measurements, photos and whatever else RAM wanted and will send them to the tech advisor on Monday. I'll KYP

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both of my gauges definitely have uneven lighting. Not sure if it's worth messing with though.

Attachments

• 74DCCDF0-58DB-4BB5-B167-CDD3B9D1ABEF.jpeg
    74DCCDF0-58DB-4BB5-B167-CDD3B9D1ABEF.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 18FAF952-4234-42FA-AA2E-B21F0B51CC26.jpeg
    18FAF952-4234-42FA-AA2E-B21F0B51CC26.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 69

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both of my gauges definitely have uneven lighting. Not sure if it's worth messing with though.

I think it's worth it especially to let Ram know our thoughts about it. It's not normal. They asked me to leave it with them this week because they had an FCA rep coming through.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rep came and took a lot of measurements, checked grounding etc. They had 3 Limiteds on the lot which all looked perfect so the rep knows something isn't right. So all you folks who think it's normal or don't care should be caring and report it. I'll keep posted when I find out more. I'm glad my dealer is helping and FCA is too. I hope they find a solution. My opinion is they have a batch of bad clusters but we'll see...

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rep came and took a lot of measurements, checked grounding etc. They had 3 Limiteds on the lot which all looked perfect so the rep knows something isn't right. So all you folks who think it's normal or don't care should be caring and report it. I'll keep posted when I find out more. I'm glad my dealer is helping and FCA is too. I hope they find a solution. My opinion is they have a batch of bad clusters but we'll see...

I've had well over a dozen brand new vehicles and I have learned over time that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Sure, you may get your gauge lighting fixed, but when you get your truck back there could be a giant door ding, grease on the headliner, broken trim on the dash, etc. Sometimes going down the rabbit hole is not worth it. I'm not giving FCA a free pass or excusing defects, but I've realized that my time and frustration is not worth the small stuff.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Glad to hear it's moving in the right direction. Definitely keep us updated. I found this photo I took of when I had a Limited for the night and it's definitely evenly lit so for the ones that aren't its definitely not normal.

20180513_011335.jpg

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's moving in the right direction. Definitely keep us updated. I found this photo I took of when I had a Limited for the night and it's definitely evenly lit so for the ones that aren't its definitely not normal.

View attachment 3633

Close to evenly but if you look at the tach and speedo the extreme edges are more blue;) but not as bad as some of them. I wouldn't complain for this one.(y)

Users who are viewing this thread