5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gauge Cluster lighting

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeaaah that's not "normal". Would it help if I took a photo of my cluster so you could show it since you'll have to deal with same dealer?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeaaah that's not "normal". Would it help if I took a photo of my cluster so you could show it since you'll have to deal with same dealer?

Sure, any help would be appreciated. If you see i took this in a manner in which the phone camera would highlight it because if you take it dead on with camera it doesn't look as bad as with the naked eye.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp looks like I have to eat my words. Although maybe not to the same extent as yours (or the photos don't capture it the same) there is a hotter spot of lighting on my cluster as well.

Both the tach and speedo have it.

Cluster Lighting.JPG

I wonder if yours looks worse because of the blue theme vs the white of the longhorn?

Kinda the opposite of what you were hoping to get out of my photo, but it might make you feel better thinking more of them are like yours? PS I had a build date of end of May.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp looks like I have to eat my words. Although maybe not to the same extent as yours (or the photos don't capture it the same) there is a hotter spot of lighting on my cluster as well.

Both the tach and speedo have it.

View attachment 1274

I wonder if yours looks worse because of the blue theme vs the white of the longhorn?

Kinda the opposite of what you were hoping to get out of my photo, but it might make you feel better thinking more of them are like yours? PS I had a build date of end of May.

Thank you, and if RAM thinks this is acceptable they will always be #3. The new one on the lot does not look like this way.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I had to caller Dealer today for an update, and he told me that RAM techline said if the cluster had been replaced then that's just the way the truck is. I can't believe they would say this. I am going to call the case manager and see where it goes.

Flot

Reaction score
It is tough comparing pictures of this sort of thing to what it looks like in person, but if the second cluster looks the same as the first, (and that does not look like the rest of the trucks on the lot) then I'd agree that maybe it is not the cluster itself - but something in the dimmer, a wiring harness going to the cluster, etc?

I wonder if there are two separate lighting circuits on the cluster, and you're missing power to one? That would be the obvious answer.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I had to caller Dealer today for an update, and he told me that RAM techline said if the cluster had been replaced then that's just the way the truck is. I can't believe they would say this. I am going to call the case manager and see where it goes.
Maybe try another dealer? Keep all you service records

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally agree, and the adviser told me there was power and ground. I said "ok what about the dimmer switch" and the fact the vehicle knows to apply other lighting when the headlights are on? I told him there was more involved then power and ground.

I don't know if another dealer will help, but with RAM involved I will wait for their direction.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally agree, and the adviser told me there was power and ground. I said "ok what about the dimmer switch" and the fact the vehicle knows to apply other lighting when the headlights are on? I told him there was more involved then power and ground.

I don't know if another dealer will help, but with RAM involved I will wait for their direction.
When I had my issues with my 17 Ram I took it to 3 different dealers. Any FCA certified dealer will do warranty work. It does not have to be the dealer you purchased the truck from either.

Tell them you want a "Star Case" opened and get the case # too

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I had my issues with my 17 Ram I took it to 3 different dealers. Any FCA certified dealer will do warranty work. It does not have to be the dealer you purchased the truck from either.

Tell them you want a "Star Case" opened and get the case # too

A Star Case has been opened, and I am waiting for the case manager to call me back

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think I originally read this thread or one similar to it and thought I didn't have the same issues in my Limited buttttt.... I do, just would have never noticed it unless I had read something about it. Hope you get yours resolved!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I originally read this thread or one similar to it and thought I didn't have the same issues in my Limited buttttt.... I do, just would have never noticed it unless I had read something about it. Hope you get yours resolved!

Hate to hear that but in a way glad because RAM has a problem and the more people that complain hopefully that will get the issue resolved quicker. Still waiting on my case manager to call

Flot

Reaction score
I take it back. I picked my ram up from the dealer today at dusk and sure thing, mine had the same hotspots on the gauges. I had never noticed before, even after reading this thread a few times. Now I will be forever wondering if it changed, or if I just didn't notice before. :rolleyes:

On the Tach, 234 are brighter, and on the speedo, looks like 40-70 are brigher. I found a photo from last thurs I had taken of my dash and it shows up there.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I take it back. I picked my ram up from the dealer today at dusk and sure thing, mine had the same hotspots on the gauges. I had never noticed before, even after reading this thread a few times. Now I will be forever wondering if it changed, or if I just didn't notice before. :rolleyes:

On the Tach, 234 are brighter, and on the speedo, looks like 40-70 are brigher. I found a photo from last thurs I had taken of my dash and it shows up there.

We need someone else to go look at some trucks new on the lot. I have only looked at one limited and it was perfect, and we also need to start complaining.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still heard nothing from dealer or case manager. I have left 3 voicemails and no call.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still heard nothing from dealer or case manager. I have left 3 voicemails and no call.
Prolly won't man they dont think its broken and prolly think its normal especially after replacing it.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prolly won't man they dont think its broken and prolly think its normal especially after replacing it.

A tech line person is the one who made that statement, but the case manager then escalates with STAR which will follow protocol which could involve a field engineer. I don't mind them working through the issues and whatever channels they have to determine if it's a problem but don't quit communicating with me.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: Case manager finally called today after 3 voicemails and a call to RAM Customer Care who I think notified her supervisor. Basically she is closing the case because Star said it was a "characteristic" of the vehicle. She said the part was replaced and there are no codes to troubleshoot anything. I am NOT stopping my concern and won't accept that answer. I can't believe they don't have any internal escalation for engineering or some other QC department that would want to know if they have a manufacturing, supplier issue, etc.

I want to like RAM but this is not sitting well with me right now. She provided me with the Arbitration team contact info.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: Case manager finally called today after 3 voicemails and a call to RAM Customer Care who I think notified her supervisor. Basically she is closing the case because Star said it was a "characteristic" of the vehicle. She said the part was replaced and there are no codes to troubleshoot anything. I am NOT stopping my concern and won't accept that answer. I can't believe they don't have any internal escalation for engineering or some other QC department that would want to know if they have a manufacturing, supplier issue, etc.

I want to like RAM but this is not sitting well with me right now. She provided me with the Arbitration team contact info.

Disappointing. Glad I bought a Laramie!

Users who are viewing this thread