5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Tank Size - Is it Accurate?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 26 gal option for eTorque motors was not shown for 2021 when "Build(ing) Your Vehicle" on the Ram website. I bought my truck off from dealer inventory and fortunately they had the good sense to select the 26 gal option when ordering. I wasn't sure what I had for a few days until I climbed under to verify part numbers and also downloaded the build sheet.
They had it up on the site early for 22s, then it went away there and for dealers.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t read through every post on here so if I’m repeating someone else’s response I apologize .
I thought it was done on purpose to make sure there is always enough fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t read through every post on here so if I’m repeating someone else’s response I apologize .
I thought it was done on purpose to make sure there is always enough fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump .
The whole "cooling the fuel pump" thing is a myth. The fuel pump sits inside a housing that keeps a certain amount of fuel in it. If the fuel pump really gets hot enough to need liquid cooling from the fuel in the tank that would be kind of dangerous inside a fuel tank.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I have a 23 gallon tank and just today I ran it down to where the cluster says 'LOW'. The nozzle stopped just a hair over 24 gallons. Lol

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have literally no idea what tank I have. I just fill it and move on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The Hound 2021

Reaction score
The whole "cooling the fuel pump" thing is a myth. The fuel pump sits inside a housing that keeps a certain amount of fuel in it. If the fuel pump really gets hot enough to need liquid cooling from the fuel in the tank that would be kind of dangerous inside a fuel tank.
Thank you for pointing out that manufacturer's would not put a detonator inside a bomb attached to passenger vehicles.

I mean Ford did this back in the late 70s and it was really bad PR....

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you verify it? Because that means my guage is off. So when it goes below 10 miles until empty, I technically still have 30+ miles of fuel remaining?

Yes technically. The gauge isn’t off, it just doesn’t want you to run out of gas.

Once below 10 miles, you have ~2 gal

BowDown

Reaction score
The fuel gauge is very conservative because they know people will run them down on occasion.

I have a 26 gallon, and I rarely get more than 21 in there if I fill up shortly after the light turns on. Factor in the miles left on the computer https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/, I should have 3 more gallons left, that would bring me to 24 gallons. 2 gallons off the mark.

However, I have confirmed I do have a 26 gallon tank, so the difference is likely in an extra gallon or so of leeway on the gauges and trip computer and also in the fuel tank system that's part of the tank.

I have the 26 gal tank and I've run mine down to 1/2 gallon a few times refueling with 25.5-6 gallons. Low fuel light (mine) comes on at 50 miles to empty. I refuel at Costco's so sometimes I have to push the fuel range to get there but I'm frequently into the 3 gallon reserve that the gauge doesn't see.

BowDown

Reaction score
How do you verify it? Because that means my guage is off. So when it goes below 10 miles until empty, I technically still have 30+ miles of fuel remaining?
You have ~3 gallons of fuel left so whatever your mpg is x's 3

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when it goes below 10 miles until empty, I technically still have 30+ miles of fuel remaining?

If it were actually accurate and you ran out at zero, there would be loads of people running out of gas. Have to make it idiot proof.

As someone else mentioned above, you can look up your build sheet with your vin and confirm the tank size along with all the other equipment the truck was built with.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I'm having issues looking it up. Says 'contact administrator'.

It would be cool to be able to get even another 30 miles out of a tank. Would make my trips to the cabin and hunting grounds without a fuel stop. I'm always so close to home when that "Low" comes on. And it's usually 23 gallons to fill it. I just assumed..

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm having issues looking it up. Says 'contact administrator'.

It would be cool to be able to get even another 30 miles out of a tank. Would make my trips to the cabin and hunting grounds without a fuel stop. I'm always so close to home when that "Low" comes on. And it's usually 23 gallons to fill it. I just assumed..
Do you have eTorque? What year is your truck?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only on my second fill-up but and the most I've been able to get into my 33-gallon tank is 24.4 gallons. On my last fill I waited for the gauge to get to almost 1/8 with 110 miles left on range. I average 19 MPG so that indicates about 5.7 gals left. 24.4+5.7=30.1 so yes about 3 gallons to spare beyond range.

Users who are viewing this thread