5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've done the central valley trip quite a bit myself, and noticed the same thing... most of the time. It's the prevailing wind. Generally out of the north west, so you effectively have 5-10 mph more air speed on the north bound trip, and 5-10 mph less on the southbound leg. I've had a couple trips where the wind patterns were reversed, and sure enough, I got the opposing mileage pattern.
Yep, the wind generally blows north to south through the Central valley, which is why the air is worse in Bakersfield than Fresno. Seeing the haze over the valley as you come out of the grapevine is always welcoming(sarcasm)

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you include the rest of his comment, to add context, when he talks about liking the right lane because "trucks" are moderate in there speed and don't speed up or slow down quickly, one can ascertain he isnt talking about pick up trucks
I guess being an engineer, I don't assume and ascertain anything. I just go by the facts of what was written.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
"Trucks in my region are legally governed to about that speed (105 km/h), meaning, they're physically unable to go faster."

That was his statement. Glad you are able to understand the difference between trucks and semis and light trucks with the general term of "trucks". Not all of us are so smart.

Yep, I thought he meant pickup trucks were governed, until I read his next sentence.

silver billet

Reaction score
While I probably could/should have used "semis", I do think the context was pretty clear. The next sentence was "I don't draft them", the "them" referring to "trucks" mentioned right above.

Trucks in my region are legally governed to about that speed (105 km/h), meaning, they're physically unable to go faster. I generally sit in the right hand lane, I don't draft them or do anything out of the ordinary,

vincentw56

Reaction score
While I probably could/should have used "semis", I do think the context was pretty clear. The next sentence was "I don't draft them", the "them" referring to "trucks" mentioned right above.
Of course, no one would assume or read it as trucks being all these pickup trucks in the right lane that have been governed. Guess it was just me. Or some of the other comments above but maybe not.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I like the comparisons, it proves the EFI with AFR engines controlled by computers is the reason why high HP engines are EPA approved. What I got from that demonstration though is that the computer is the real reason why Premium and regular are close in HP, even though it was not noticeable premium was .2 higher HP. It was weird why they tested ethanol with a carburetor. I would have liked to have seen the old school engine with the differences, fuel injection when I was young was very rare.
I got pulled over in Sacramento doing 70mph in the left lane pulling a small trailer behind my Dakota back in 2015.
70 MPH is a big red flag towing in Comifornia. I was towing a boat doing 70 MPH on the I-40 in the middle of the Mohave, a CHP just drove on by without pulling me over, I thought for sure I was going to get a ticket, and that was when the National 55 MPH law was still in effect.

Reaction score
I have the 5.7 and for the life of me can’t get anything better than 13-14mpg. I bought it used but have done all the maintenance I can think of to help improve MPG’s. It has the stock 20’s with 33” nitto grapplers. Stock everything besides a muffle and resenator delete. Air pressure in tires are correct. Also has a bed cover.

PLEASE HELP!
I have a 2019 Limited 4x4 with stock 22's & stock size Venom Power & get 18mpg. just bought a 2019 Longhorn "Offroad" 4x4 with 20' All Terrain's and gets about 13-14. the speedometer on the Longhorn is faster by 5mph, dealership kept it 7 hours and it is not calibrated correctly. I think the only difference between my 2 trucks is that the Limited has air suspension(and a much better ride) and the size rims. I cannot find anyone to calibrate the Longhorn correctly, or is it because of the Offroad package?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Your allowed lanes 1 & 2 but not 3, if there are 3 lanes. There are Zones that post trucks/autos with trailers must stay in lane 1 and posted no passing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your allowed lanes 1 & 2 but not 3, if there are 3 lanes. There are Zones that post trucks/autos with trailers must stay in lane 1 and posted no passing.
2 only when passing.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
"The lanes reserved for larger commercial trucks and other larger vehicles will depend on how many lanes are available on each particular highway. For example, if there are three lanes or less going in the same direction (this does not include carpool lanes), then the trucks are required to use the far right lane. If there are four or more lanes traveling in the same direction, trucks are allowed to use the two farthest right lanes."

Sort of correct, Comifornia has so many anti truck laws its hard to keep up them. I know when driving into port in Los Angeles the last sentence in the quote applies.

23RAM

Reaction score
We have similar rules up here - but almost no one obeys them. Many semi's will use the third lane even though it's prohibited. And many cars will stay in the left "passing" lane even though they're not supposed to either. It's a passing lane, once past slower traffic, you're required to move back into the right lanes. But many simply don't care. Of course they don't care about fuel mileage either as they practically floor it once a slower vehicle gets out of the way. Or worse, they dart into the right lane, race past, then dart back into the left lane again even though there's no traffic in front of them.

Of course the police do not enforce the laws which is why it's so common. Since covid they don't seem to enforce distracted driving either. I've witnessed police look at people talking on their phones and ignore them. Also the number of single vehicle accidents or accidents where a driver has failed to stop has more than doubled since the distracted driving law took effect. These people are hiding their phones in their laps and not watching the road.
:rolleyes:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Chiraco Pass on the I-10, south bound, south of Indio, is the worse pass I believe in Comifornia. Its only two lanes and there is no lane control with some sections of 6-7% grades. I slipped my clutch on my 07 3500 C&C towing my 34' 5ver, waiting for a passing truck to finally clear the left lane. Its a long story as to why it slipped the clutch, but after that incident it would slip on heavy acceleration until I replaced it with a SMF and a South Bend DDS 3250 clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread