5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
So you are comparing a 2wd V6 to a 4x4 V8 in saying the V6 got better mileage. Obviously a 2wd vehicle will get better gas mileage than a 4x4.
Oh knock it off guy, your trying way to hard. "2wd v6 get better mpg than 4x4 v8" no ****, or oh no! i was so wrong and incorrect here let me fix the absolute dramatic difference in my statement, ill add another mile or two, 19-20 instead of 21-22, there.. give me a break goofy. The point is that people complain about V8 mpg. ether shut up and drive or dont buy a truck, need a truck? get electric or a v6 (2wd or 4x4 IN A V6 your still saving the gas people complain about wishing they had). Want to save gas, dont get a V8., a point you clearly missed. Now lets log off for the day bud.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh knock it off guy, your trying way to hard. "2wd v6 get better mpg than 4x4 v8" no ****, or oh no! i was so wrong and incorrect here let me fix the absolute dramatic difference in my statement, ill add another mile or two, 19-20 instead of 21-22, there.. give me a break goofy. The point is that people complain about V8 mpg. ether shut up and drive or dont buy a truck, need a truck? get electric or a v6 (2wd or 4x4 IN A V6 your still saving the gas people complain about wishing they had). Want to save gas, dont get a V8., a point you clearly missed. Now lets log off for the day bud.
If you have a tradesman sure.
If it's a heavy truck you will lose MPG by having an under powered powerplant.
From your numbers looks like my old Chevy with a v8 got as good mpg and didn't make me downgrade to a v6.
Window sticks should be somewhat close, Ram's window sticks are not accurate.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From your numbers looks like my old Chevy with a v8 got as good mpg and didn't make me downgrade to a v6.
I've never seen a window sticker for a single manufacturer that's real world accurate.

23RAM

Reaction score
I know its not a vehicle, but I bought a boat with 4.3 V6 Mercruiser in/out drive, I actually got worse Gallons Per Hour (marine MPG) than the 305 V8, unless I decided to cruise just above plaining speed. When I'm with the group of boats I'd normally be with on Lake Mohave, I'd have to run my V6 a little over 3/4 throttle to keep up with their V8's thus poor GPH.
Actually I thought that too, but after research I found most marine engines made in the last 10 years are fairly linear, so once on plane, you consume more for faster speeds, but not a lot more, until you get near the top speed where more fuel consumption is needed to maintain peak speeds as the prop pitch runs out of legs. Your higher consumption is more likely the power to weight ratio of the boat, hull design, prop, deadrise, etc., all contributing more than the engine alone. Too many variables. The only way to compare would be two identical boats with different engine packages and similar drives. In that scenario, the V6 would probably be more fuel efficient while the V8 would have a better hole shot and top speed but less economical while cruising.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Well over 24 years of running that boat up against all sizes with V8's, I consumed more fuel than they did. Our trips weren't putting around and skiing. We would run over 80 miles a day and would fill our boats at the same docks, while I always pumped more than they did. We would get to the campsite and they'd have only gone through an 1/8th of a tank, while I would go through 1/3rd of a tank. Another issue was the noise from the high RPM of the V6. There are no doubt big differences in shapes sizes and the ability to plane easier, but running up against many different configurations over 24 years, I think I'd know if mine was just under powered, it was underpowered, but it was my fault. The options when I bought the boat ranged from an inline 4 to 350 V8's. Its a lesson I learned the hard way when buying a boat, always get it with the biggest HP, that way you won't regret it later. I bought a 2021 Tritoon with the biggest outboard it's capable of, so its not going to underpowered.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
They aren’t. I actually got better than my window sticker more than a few times too. Those numbers are epa BS

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can't just make up numbers for a combination you've never driven. I mean, aftermarket part companies do it all the time, but we know how accurate that is.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
You can't just make up numbers for a combination you've never driven. I mean, aftermarket part companies do it all the time, but we know how accurate that is.
Care to tell me what numbers i made up and for what combination?

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
So not sure if this has actually been talked about or anyone has posted it from Detailed Test Information

So it basically shows the real max speeds they use for stock trucks to get the mpg. I don't know about you but I've never driven that slow in my life. How do you have fun at a max speed of 60 highway (NOT INTERSTATE) or 30 in town. No thanks, I'll keep on burning and having fun and crying at the pump.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_095748_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_095748_Chrome.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230921_095742_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_095742_Chrome.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
16.5 - 17.0 for me in my 2021 Laramie Etorque with 3.92 rear end.
Are Those tires E rated? Right now I have LT275/65R-20 PIRELLI SCORPION ALL TERRAIN PLUS E and I'm looking at getting some lighter and slightly shorter (60R) tires and going down from my current 3.5" lift to a front level or 2" lift for the front. I love the look and ride but can't justify the gas for just having fun with no practical use

23RAM

Reaction score
I don't know about you but I've never driven that slow in my life. How do you have fun at a max speed of 60 highway
"Have fun"? I don't really have fun driving, it's simply required to arrive at my destination. If I want to have fun driving, I do in my boat.
😁
The tests are just a controlled condition at specified speeds so you can do comparisons between vehicles.They could do the highway tests at 50/60/70 mph and the comparisons would still be valid. I don't drive slow but I drive steady to maintain decent mileage. My last highway drive was a 674 km (419 mile) round trip running over rural highways (50 mph posted/actual 55-60) with varied speeds of 30-40 mph through towns along the way and lots of hills and valleys. I averaged 23.2 mpg...I'm good with that.

Av1

Reaction score
I always get pretty decent fuel economy with my vehicles and have never been one to drive slowly. I'm normally a 5 to 10 over guy.

It comes down to managing smooth throttle input and being efficient with your driving in my opinion.

We haven't taken any trips in the 1500, so I don't know what the highway milage is yet.

It's a truck... I don't expect great fuel economy. I'm just fine with it as is.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I find it’s better to briskly accelerate and get to cruising speed, than to baby it

3 seconds at 2 mpg is better than 15 seconds at 5 mpg

Av1

Reaction score
I find it’s better to briskly accelerate and get to cruising speed, than to baby it

3 seconds at 2 mpg is better than 15 seconds at 5 mpg
This can be true. Get to an efficient gear and power setting smoothly but quickly.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This can be true. Get to an efficient gear and power setting smoothly but quickly.
Yup. I normally set the cruise as soon as my speed is achieved . Unless I’m in heavy traffic of course

Users who are viewing this thread