5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fueling issues

harshsb

Reaction score
My wife and have a 2019 Big Horn. This is our 3rd Ram since 2014 and we love it. BUT, we are having an issue fueling it. It has no gas cap and when I put the gas nozzle in and start fueling, it stops every 20 seconds or so. I have tried adjusting how the nozzle is in and the angle but nothing solves the issue. It sucks standing in -20C trying to fill a truck up. Can anyone help?

I recently purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and I was running into the same problem. I tried various gas stations and pumps but kept running into same issue. I took my truck to my trusted mechanic, whom I have been going to for 22 years now. He was able to narrow down the problem for me and printed out an article which stated there was an issue with the gas tank nozzle and it was a defect from the manufacturer. I took it to dealer and showed them the article and sure enough, it was an issue and required a replacement of the gas tank.

Manniodl

Reaction score
Did replacing the gas tank solve the issue? I have a 2019 Big Horn and it won't take any pumps unless I slow roll it (slowest flow) and then it takes 30 min to fill up. )-:

My dealer first replaced the filler neck, but that didn't solve it. It is in the shop now waiting for the new tank to come in.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did replacing the gas tank solve the issue? I have a 2019 Big Horn and it won't take any pumps unless I slow roll it (slowest flow) and then it takes 30 min to fill up. )-:

My dealer first replaced the filler neck, but that didn't solve it. It is in the shop now waiting for the new tank to come in.

What was the part # of the filler neck your dealer installed?

MarkCA

Reaction score
Same issue here with my 2019 Rebel. Filling it was fine the first year and 3 months ago the fast shutoff started. Does not matter what gas station I go to, nor how slow I fill it. After 3-7 seconds it shuts off. I also have a 2019 Tradesman for 6 months with no problem. Just dropped off the Rebel today. There is a replacement filler neck, part #68448220AA that is less steep that supposedly fixes the problem. We will see what the dealer says tomorrow. A class action lawsuit was filed in LA in July regarding these known issues.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same issue here with my 2019 Rebel. Filling it was fine the first year and 3 months ago the fast shutoff started. Does not matter what gas station I go to, nor how slow I fill it. After 3-7 seconds it shuts off. I also have a 2019 Tradesman for 6 months with no problem. Just dropped off the Rebel today. There is a replacement filler neck, part #68448220AA that is less steep that supposedly fixes the problem. We will see what the dealer says tomorrow. A class action lawsuit was filed in LA in July regarding these known issues.

That lawsuit seems to be about the issues on DS models where the gas pump actually gets stuck inside the fuller neck. There are some YouTube videos about it, where they can fight for minutes or longer trying to get the gas pump out of the filler.

I've had a few occasions where it wasn't easy to get the pump out of my Rebel, but most recently I had the issue where it kept clicking off too early. It's a pain because you aren't sure after a point if it's clicking off because it's near the top or not. Which makes you worried about spilling gas because you accidentally overfilled. Then turn on the truck and find out you under-filled by a lot!

It was fine for the first 3000 miles, but now it seems to be getting worse, hopefully the dealer can take a look next time I'm in for service.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently purchased my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and I was running into the same problem. I tried various gas stations and pumps but kept running into same issue. I took my truck to my trusted mechanic, whom I have been going to for 22 years now. He was able to narrow down the problem for me and printed out an article which stated there was an issue with the gas tank nozzle and it was a defect from the manufacturer. I took it to dealer and showed them the article and sure enough, it was an issue and required a replacement of the gas tank.

Can you share with us that article?

harshsb

Reaction score
Can you share with us that article?

This was the article my mechanic printed out for me and based on this I was able to get my dealership to accept my truck for repair due to manufacture defect. Even though parts for the truck are on national back order, they were able to provide a temporary solution and fix the truck once parts are available.

Fre043

Reaction score
Yeah, would love to hear the temporary solution. 16k miles on 19 rebel and filled up every 300 miles with no issues(down to single digit temps included) and now 2 days ago(mid 30’s) started that I can’t get more than a half gallon with out it shutting off.

crawling under the truck this weekend to see what can be figured out...

harshsb

Reaction score
What was the temporary solution?

I don't have the exact details on what the dealership did but all I was informed of was that they did some modification with the fuel tank to allow a better fuel flow. This would reduce the number of times the pump could stop but it sure will continue to stop.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Just thinking about an older Nissan Xterra I owned briefly. It developed an issue where it would struggle to accept fuel, turned out that the charcoal evap canister, which is what allows the gas tank to breathe was clogged with dust and whatnot. I'm curious if this is a similar issue some of you are experiencing? Once the canister on my Xterra was cleaned, it had no problems in allowing the fuel tank to fuel up without popping the clicker before it was full.

Manniodl

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2019 Big Horn with gas fueling issues. Would just click off every 5 seconds or more. They ended up replacing the gas tank. The problem appears to be fixed, but I am furious about what they did while they had my truck for 3 weeks. When I got home, I noticed they put 320 miles on my vehicle.!! When I called and inquired about this, they said they had to burn all the gas in the tank. WTF.....Really?? He said they drove my truck for 5 hours to get the fuel burned. Is this reasonable and the accepted standard/procedure? Couldn't they draw the gas out of tank via another means? Looking for input here as I am pretty riled up. Thanks.,

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2019 Big Horn with gas fueling issues. Would just click off every 5 seconds or more. They ended up replacing the gas tank. The problem appears to be fixed, but I am furious about what they did while they had my truck for 3 weeks. When I got home, I noticed they put 320 miles on my vehicle.!! When I called and inquired about this, they said they had to burn all the gas in the tank. WTF.....Really?? He said they drove my truck for 5 hours to get the fuel burned. Is this reasonable and the accepted standard/procedure? Couldn't they draw the gas out of tank via another means? Looking for input here as I am pretty riled up. Thanks.,
I'm dropping mine off in about ten days to get the fuel fill replaced (maybe the tank?) and I was planning to drop her off on E... no way I'd expect them to siphon out 33 gallons or burn it off.

Sounds to me like someone just used your truck around town as I doubt they paid someone 5 hours to drive around.

Another plus for a dashcam!

Manniodl

Reaction score
I'm dropping mine off in about ten days to get the fuel fill replaced (maybe the tank?) and I was planning to drop her off on E... no way I'd expect them to siphon out 33 gallons or burn it off.

Sounds to me like someone just used your truck around town as I doubt they paid someone 5 hours to drive around.

Another plus for a dashcam!
Their initial reason was that my tank was full and they needed to burn some fuel in order for them to pump some gas and try to replicate the issue. I get that, but burning almost 70% of the tank?? No, that just seems like abuse.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their initial reason was that my tank was full and they needed to burn some fuel in order for them to pump some gas and try to replicate the issue. I get that, but burning almost 70% of the tank?? No, that just seems like abuse.
Agreed. Thankfully my dealer has seen this before and no need to duplicate before ordering parts.

MarkCA

Reaction score
Just heard from the dealer that INDEED, there is a problem. Duh... They are going to replace the fuel filler neck. Does not sound like they are going to replace the whole tank. Sure hope this solves the problem. Will keep you posted.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Is there a TSB for this?... it happened to me once (only filled four times so far). I was able to finagle the nozzle and get it to run eventually... I figured it was that particular nozzle design - but apparently it's more than that.

harshsb

Reaction score

No reason for them to put miles like that on your truck without your authorization to Putsch miles. I personally took it in on E (10 miles prior to empty), they were able to replace the tank without any issue. In my case, replacing the tank didn't solve the problem yet, so they ordered more related parts to replace but I took my truck back from them and asked them to call me when they have the parts. I have trust issues with mechanics at the dealerships, I refuse to leave my vehicles there overnight if I don't have to.

Manniodl

Reaction score
Just heard from the dealer that INDEED, there is a problem. Duh... They are going to replace the fuel filler neck. Does not sound like they are going to replace the whole tank. Sure hope this solves the problem. Will keep you posted.
Based on my recent experience, I would recommend you drop it off close to E, with very little gas in the tank. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread