5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fueling issues

Tac747

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the pumps. I have tried different 5 stations Just got back from the second trip to the shop about this. Had to take the service tech with me to verify that it shuts off because the fuel fills the filler neck and shuts off the pumps. Just like magic, 0.3 gallons and click. They ordered the new updated filler assy and it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully Wednesdays trip will be the last for this problem. The tech informed me this is not a rare problem and that there is a TSB about it. FCA had to redesign the filler.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the pumps. I have tried different 5 stations Just got back from the second trip to the shop about this. Had to take the service tech with me to verify that it shuts off because the fuel fills the filler neck and shuts off the pumps. Just like magic, 0.3 gallons and click. They ordered the new updated filler assy and it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully Wednesdays trip will be the last for this problem. The tech informed me this is not a rare problem and that there is a TSB about it. FCA had to redesign the filler.

Is this problem related to a specific trim, build date, or tank size? Haven't had any problems with my 33 Gallon tank and wondered if the tank neck is different based on tank size?

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Is this problem related to a specific trim, build date, or tank size? Haven't had any problems with my 33 Gallon tank and wondered if the tank neck is different based on tank size?

Ran into the issue on my 2019 with 26 gallon and also have issue with my 2020 33 gallon.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I never had this issue until I read this thread last week... and then it happened to me. Blast! Had to use the second notch rather than the “fill ‘er fast” notch. I’ll use my regular pump on the end next time and see if it still happens.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my Laramie, It shots off multiple times during fill. Same gas stations and same pumps work just fine on my other 2 cars. Definitely some design or certain production model issues with the fill system components.
I guess we should call this pre-mature e-gasulation!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had this issue a few times, but seems not only dependent on the gas station, but even the pumps within that same station!

For me, whenever I put the pump in too deep, it can sometimes be hard to remove, so instead I angle the pump about 30 degrees to the side and if I hold it in place, it won't stop pumping.

Kinda nerve wracking a bit since I get gas at Costco and everyone is watching to make sure you aren't wasting any time.

RamCares

Reaction score

Please be sure to keep us updated, Tac747. If we can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, we would be happy to help. We are just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I never had this issue until I read this thread last week... and then it happened to me. Blast! Had to use the second notch rather than the “fill ‘er fast” notch. I’ll use my regular pump on the end next time and see if it still happens.
Same exact thing happened to me lol

d19r93

Reaction score
Do they have the TSB number, or some way to identify the problem?

Tac747

Reaction score
OK. So just finished with the third trip to the shop. They replaced the filler assembly and this time they took it to the gas station and ... My new fuel tank will be here in 5 to 7 business days. Same thing happened. 0.3 gallons and click. Apparently the check valve molded into the fuel tank is not opening and allowing fuel to freely flow in. Since these tanks are injection molded there is no way to replace the check valve so... New tank time. I did not ask about the TSB number, Sorry

GasTank87

Reaction score
I had this issue on my first fill up too. My truck is pretty new so I've only filled it maybe 4 times. I found I really need to jam it as far in the hole as I can possibly get it. It doesnt shut off when I do that. I can hear it backing up into the spout and sounds like it almost wants to shut itself off, but it hasnt since i started doing it that way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three fuel ups in a row with this issue.... guess I'll add it to my visit coming up with the rear brake noise. It takes a LONG time to fill the 33 gallon tank on the slow setting, holding it by hand.

TSB # if anyone has it would be much appreciated!

41magmag41

Reaction score
My 2019 longhorn doesnt have this problem, can stick the pump in anyway I want and it fills it rather quickly, at the local Irving station. Would get it to the dealer for a warranty check.

RamCares

Reaction score
Three fuel ups in a row with this issue.... guess I'll add it to my visit coming up with the rear brake noise. It takes a LONG time to fill the 33 gallon tank on the slow setting, holding it by hand.

TSB # if anyone has it would be much appreciated!

Hi firecadet613,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. Please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an extra layer of support as you address your current troubles with your dealer. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I went back to my usual pump at Shell ... no issues with multiple fillups. Very strange, I must say! :D

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because it is a sealed system with two valves, both need to have the nozzle in far enough to open them. Depending on the nozzle design, some have reported the dog effect, and the nozzle becomes stuck in the filler neck. I have seen a few posts regarding this in the past, mostly in California because of over-regulation and environmental concerns, but in other places as well. here is a link (https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/ram-fuel-filler-neck-problems-class-action-lawsuit.shtml) that covers that issue and also mentions the shutoff issue. Happy reeding, and y'all play nice now. Ya hear.

embo_9

Reaction score
Two fills in a row my pump has failed to shut off, spilling a fair amount of fuel. Any advice to avoid that? I hate spilling the fuel and/or having it go down the truck. Plus sometime you just have to take a leak and let 'er fill. Now way I can do that now.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two fills in a row my pump has failed to shut off, spilling a fair amount of fuel. Any advice to avoid that? I hate spilling the fuel and/or having it go down the truck. Plus sometime you just have to take a leak and let 'er fill. Now way I can do that now.
If it is not shutting off at the nozzle it is not a truck problem, but a nozzle/station problem. Change fuel stations and see if you have a problem at more than one station.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the problem at a Shell pump last week, moved over to another pump and did not have an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread