5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Sway Bar End Links, possible solution

Kamper

Reaction score
Jeffjad - any update on links or ball joint once the other dealer got a look??

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, they denied any warranty work due to bigger tires and RC upper control arms. So I politely expressed my displeasure and left. I should have known better to even try......waste of my time 😡.
I will replace them myself with mevotech lowers this summer.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told that I will get warranty denied for a front end clunk because I have spacers on. I installed the TRX wheels and the UCA clearance is about 1/4" so I installed spacers to give me clearance. I need to remove the spacers before I take it in now.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was told that I will get warranty denied for a front end clunk because I have spacers on. I installed the TRX wheels and the UCA clearance is about 1/4" so I installed spacers to give me clearance. I need to remove the spacers before I take it in now.
Yes, spacers are usually a clean kill. I removed mine before I took it in but didn't matter as I had aftermarket UCAs and tires. The spacers are probably not helping out our lower ball joints 😝

Kamper

Reaction score
aaaah - the ol warranty "out'clauses" in effect. Well - my dealer completely denied any issues were present 2x... now im out of warranty and plan to replace. Since aftermarket options are few if any and the Mopar part is like $25 - gonna order online and have my local personal shop do the install... not worth funding dealer and their asinine actions, behaviors etc...

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
aaaah - the ol warranty "out'clauses" in effect. Well - my dealer completely denied any issues were present 2x... now im out of warranty and plan to replace. Since aftermarket options are few if any and the Mopar part is like $25 - gonna order online and have my local personal shop do the install... not worth funding dealer and their asinine actions, behaviors etc...
The sway bar end links are super easy to swap out.....lower ball joints...not so much. I agree with you on the dealership, I would never pay their crazy hourly rates.

Kamper

Reaction score
im gonna have my guy check those as well - good luck with your process!! wishing you a good outcome

Kamper

Reaction score
in lookin for replacement shocks/struts for a level and maybe small lift (think Bilsein 5100) etc.. I came across the Eibach site and they make what appear to be very legit, more significant - and fully customizable end links for sway bars... Im checking with them on our trucks and will update.

Kamper

Reaction score
unfortunately the Eibach end links are currently a no go for our truck. In my support ticket I referenced the Ram 1500 community would love a high quality end link option. Who knows - maybe they will consider.

Boo82osu

Reaction score
Bought a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 a month ago with only 9,500 miles on it. I had Fuel wheels, 35” Nitto Ridge Grappler tires, and a front level kit put on two weeks ago. It drove great until the other day I started hearing a loose knocking noise when going over little bumps. The noise is coming from the front driver side suspension area as far as I can tell. I took it to the dealership (it’s still under warranty) & they said they are two weeks out and I had to have an appointment. They did torque the sway bar links (I asked them to do this after seeing multiple issues on YouTube with these sway bar links) for me and it didn’t help. Is this a common thing to have front end noises after getting a level kit? I just turned in my leased Tacoma after 3 years without a single problem, and was excited to get into a full size truck. Just very disappointed with the math: 3 years in 2019 Tacoma = zero issues; 4 weeks in 2019 Ram = can’t enjoy it because a loose popping noise in front suspension area.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 a month ago with only 9,500 miles on it. I had Fuel wheels, 35” Nitto Ridge Grappler tires, and a front level kit put on two weeks ago. It drove great until the other day I started hearing a loose knocking noise when going over little bumps. The noise is coming from the front driver side suspension area as far as I can tell. I took it to the dealership (it’s still under warranty) & they said they are two weeks out and I had to have an appointment. They did torque the sway bar links (I asked them to do this after seeing multiple issues on YouTube with these sway bar links) for me and it didn’t help. Is this a common thing to have front end noises after getting a level kit? I just turned in my leased Tacoma after 3 years without a single problem, and was excited to get into a full size truck. Just very disappointed with the math: 3 years in 2019 Tacoma = zero issues; 4 weeks in 2019 Ram = can’t enjoy it because a loose popping noise in front suspension area.
I would have them check the lower ball joints. That's very low miles to have bad ball joints but ya never know. Also possible the top hat nut didn't get torqued properly when the level was installed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How big of a level did you do? What brand/type?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sucks that you are already unhappy with your truck, but do keep in mind when comparing: It sounds like you had a brand new Tacoma, and now you have a used, 3 year old, first-model-year Ram. It's possible the first owner/driver did something to cause premature wear in the front end. If that's the case, the lift may have exacerbated that issue.

Hopefully you can get it resolved quickly and cheaply, and enjoy your truck the way it was meant to be - driving! Let us know what you find.

Boo82osu

Reaction score
Sucks that you are already unhappy with your truck, but do keep in mind when comparing: It sounds like you had a brand new Tacoma, and now you have a used, 3 year old, first-model-year Ram. It's possible the first owner/driver did something to cause premature wear in the front end. If that's the case, the lift may have exacerbated that issue.

Hopefully you can get it resolved quickly and cheaply, and enjoy your truck the way it was meant to be - driving! Let us know what you find.
Will do! I took it back to the Custom wheel/suspension shop yesterday for the noise since the dealership is so backed up. They said they got a half turn on the front driver side strut and they thought that would fix it. I left and the noise is just as bad. The owner of the custom wheel shop actually texted me last night seeing if his guys fixed the problem. He wants me to bring it back and is determined to get it fixed I believe without charge due to them doing the the level kit and wheels, which wasn’t cheap. (He also knows my truck is under warranty at the dealership). I like the Ram so much more than the Tacoma. Going from a 4 cylinder to the 5.7 Hemi…zero comparison. The crew cab space is awesome for family too compared to cramped Tacoma. Just got to get this noise fixed. Does anyone know if the Dodge dealership would say my 3 year 36,000 mile warranty is no good on front end issues because I put a level kit on and Fuel wheels? Or is the dealership still required to honor the warranty?

HemiDude

Reaction score
Will do! I took it back to the Custom wheel/suspension shop yesterday for the noise since the dealership is so backed up. They said they got a half turn on the front driver side strut and they thought that would fix it. I left and the noise is just as bad. The owner of the custom wheel shop actually texted me last night seeing if his guys fixed the problem. He wants me to bring it back and is determined to get it fixed I believe without charge due to them doing the the level kit and wheels, which wasn’t cheap. (He also knows my truck is under warranty at the dealership). I like the Ram so much more than the Tacoma. Going from a 4 cylinder to the 5.7 Hemi…zero comparison. The crew cab space is awesome for family too compared to cramped Tacoma. Just got to get this noise fixed. Does anyone know if the Dodge dealership would say my 3 year 36,000 mile warranty is no good on front end issues because I put a level kit on and Fuel wheels? Or is the dealership still required to honor the warranty?
Unless you have an awesome relationship with your Dealer, they will likely use any changes to the front suspension to nullify the warranty. I wouldn't blame them if they did- dealers have enough of a challenge finding and keeping good techs to work on stock vehicles, let alone chase issues that are possibly related to a/m parts. Not excusing it, but it is a direct result of the lack of people willing to work currently, and good techs are getting poached all the time.

One thing I just thought of, do you have spacers or rings between your Fuel wheels and the hubs? The correct concentric spacers help keep the wheels centered, and from moving around under load. Maybe check those?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you have an awesome relationship with your Dealer, they will likely use any changes to the front suspension to nullify the warranty. I wouldn't blame them if they did- dealers have enough of a challenge finding and keeping good techs to work on stock vehicles, let alone chase issues that are possibly related to a/m parts. Not excusing it, but it is a direct result of the lack of people willing to work currently, and good techs are getting poached all the time.

One thing I just thought of, do you have spacers or rings between your Fuel wheels and the hubs? The correct concentric spacers help keep the wheels centered, and from moving around under load. Maybe check those?
If his wheels are moving while driving that a huge safety issue and means they are not properly torqued. Would also cause vibration issues.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lug nuts self center, so there shouldn't be any issues with the center hub holding the wheel. People have driven on wheels that aren't hub centric for decades and have been fine. The hub centric just makes it easier.

HemiDude

Reaction score
The lug nuts self center, so there shouldn't be any issues with the center hub holding the wheel. People have driven on wheels that aren't hub centric for decades and have been fine. The hub centric just makes it easier.
Which brings up another point - Does the OP have right lug nuts installed for his wheels? The factory nuts don't mesh with many aftermarket rims.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More than likely the dealer is going to give you some pushback since you have an aftermarket level kit installed and it was installed by an independent shop. I just went through this with my dealership in regards to my lower ball joints going bad and I finally gave up after trying a few different dealers.
It sounds like the independent shop that installed your level kit is willing to work with you to make it right so I would just keep that relationship going with them. You will probably get better service from them anyway. Good luck, keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread