5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Sway Bar End Links, possible solution

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have seen a number of post regarding the failures of the sway bar end links on the front of 1500 trucks and that you can't get replacement ones except through the dealer which may or may not have them. the question that seems to always come up is "Does anyone make an aftermarket end link?" Well, I have not found an aftermarket end link listed for the 1500, but in my search I noticed that the 2500 end link is very similar. See the pictures attached. This got me thinking what is the difference and led me to the local dealer to inspect a 2500 and the end link . What I discovered is that it is an inch shorter and is oriented the opposite way when installed. Got me thinking if there is an after market end link for a 2019-2022 2500 that is longer or adjustable for lifted trucks. Well, I found one, but it is not cheap and it comes in 0-2", 3-5", and 6"-8" of lift. See the picture below. My question is does anyone see why this would not work? Could this be the solution to the poor quality end links on the front of these trucks?

Attachments

• 1500 end link.PNG
    1500 end link.PNG
    88.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 2500 end link.PNG
    2500 end link.PNG
    354.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 2500 end links 3-5 lift.PNG
    2500 end links 3-5 lift.PNG
    161.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
I secured a OEM set from Mopar Genuine Parts https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/. Part number 68399868AE.

Odd when I got them is that the stud on the swaybar side was bigger than the OEM 21 Limited stud, even though its the same part number......Drilled out the sway bar a bit and installed the new links. So they are out there!

397STROKER

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues but after reading about people having them replaced and some multiple times, plus some inquiring about after market especially for leveled/lifted, I got curious as to what could be a solution. My truck is lifted 3" up front and I know that with the stock end links it has rotated the sway bar to be right in front of the oil drain plug. I guess another reason to maybe look for after market/longer ones.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen a number of post regarding the failures of the sway bar end links on the front of 1500 trucks and that you can't get replacement ones except through the dealer which may or may not have them. the question that seems to always come up is "Does anyone make an aftermarket end link?" Well, I have not found an aftermarket end link listed for the 1500, but in my search I noticed that the 2500 end link is very similar. See the pictures attached. This got me thinking what is the difference and led me to the local dealer to inspect a 2500 and the end link . What I discovered is that it is an inch shorter and is oriented the opposite way when installed. Got me thinking if there is an after market end link for a 2019-2022 2500 that is longer or adjustable for lifted trucks. Well, I found one, but it is not cheap and it comes in 0-2", 3-5", and 6"-8" of lift. See the picture below. My question is does anyone see why this would not work? Could this be the solution to the poor quality end links on the front of these trucks?
Do you happen to have the link to the 2500 aftermarket ones?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If mine were broken, I'd definitely take the plunge. As I have no current issues with mine, its hard to justify $200, especially since we just got back from dropping a boat load on a Hawaii vacation, and I did just spend twice that on a console safe. Wife starts to get angry if too many packages start showing up at the front door and get whisked away to the garage...

DCRAM

Reaction score
I am having major noise issues with my sway links binding after installing 2" coilovers in the front, so I think I may try this potential solution out. If the factory 2500 are 1" shorter, and I am lifted 2" I am thinking I will aim for the 3"-5" lift version. You guys agree with the approach?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having major noise issues with my sway links binding after installing 2" coilovers in the front, so I think I may try this potential solution out. If the factory 2500 are 1" shorter, and I am lifted 2" I am thinking I will aim for the 3"-5" lift version. You guys agree with the approach?
This was my thought as well since I am 3" lifted in front. The only other thing I can think of that might not work is the actual stud diameter being larger on the 2500 links🤷. I won't be messing with anything under my truck until at least April, it's too cold here in PA❄️.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I don't have any issues yet. I just read about a number of people having these fail multiple times and asking if there were any after market solutions. I figured I would do a little research as I am lifted 3" in front and figured they will eventually fail. I think the stud that goes into the sway bar may be a little thicker and you may need to drill out the sway bar.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm riding on stock height right now on my Rebel and started getting a front end clunk going over uneven surfaces at slow speeds. I need to see if I can duplicate it to the point of getting mine replaced. I'm at 11k miles now.

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
When I got the OEM replacements that were the same part number as the ones that came on the truck, but now the stud is thicker makes me think RAM made a change to these due to this issue. I had to drill out my sway bar if you didn't notice my post a few weeks ago. Just FYI for the group.

jj141979

Reaction score
When I got the OEM replacements that were the same part number as the ones that came on the truck, but now the stud is thicker makes me think RAM made a change to these due to this issue. I had to drill out my sway bar if you didn't notice my post a few weeks ago. Just FYI for the group.
What size drill bit did you use?? Did the new links solve your clunk/rattle noise? Thanks

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is going in for service tomorrow to figure out my front end clunking. I will update with the dealership findings or lack there of 🙄.

Kamper

Reaction score
don't let em tell you its "nothing" like my local dealer... I have a good local NON dealer shop - they found the original issue in seconds and took care of it. now Its back - and the NON dealer shop believe the sway bar ends now need replacing and not just tightening. good news, they are cheap to replace, but of course out of warranty on mine.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I'm riding on stock height right now on my Rebel and started getting a front end clunk going over uneven surfaces at slow speeds. I need to see if I can duplicate it to the point of getting mine replaced. I'm at 11k miles now.
Should not need to duplicate for warranty. They can tell on a lift if the 'joint' has play.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is going in for service tomorrow to figure out my front end clunking. I will update with the dealership findings or lack there of 🙄.
To no surprise the dealership found nothing and claims nothing is wrong even though I showed them this video clip of my lower ball joint which is clearly going bad on both lowers . Off to the next dealer to see if they are any more competent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/