5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe mine may have a (very) mild clunk, too.....audible only upon sharp turn at the very lowest parking-lot speeds.
Short of an available TSB, can any member see what Rapid Response Transmittals (RSTs) have been issued for this truck??

I have 4,000 miles on my '19 Ltd. & really love it.
The truck is buttery smooth, the headlights are great, the comfort & leather are Bentley-level, and the RamBoxes are sweet & most convenient.
My (predominantly highway) mileage quite easily tops 20 MPG. Note: Mine is 2WD, w/ 3:21 gears.
I've already purchased the Lifetime Max Care externded warranty.

Upon 1st oil change visit, I'll also have 'em look at:
a) Having to SLAM tthe tailgate.
b) H-K stereo not as loud as the Alpine in my 2009 Ram (all the more disapointing, as the sound quality is so wonderful)
c) Driver's door chrome trim strip topper piece is misaligned....(thus breaking-up the smoothness of the visual character line on the driver's side of the vehicle).
d) Factory-installed Tri-Fold Tonneau cover does not sit flat on gasket, just behind the cab on passenger side.
e) Lane Sense system sometimes tells me to put my hands on the wheel, when they ARE already on it.
f) Rear (backlight) sliding glass 'window' is sqeeky.
g) a minor (yet near constant, & anoying) plastic 'itch' noise, at the over-head roof controls-console trim surround.

Item B - TSB is out for this..made quite a difference with mine.

Duane

Reaction score
Item B - TSB is out for this..made quite a difference with mine.

Thanks so much, Snowman!!
I did not see that one listed under the Forum's 'RESOURCES' list.....
Do you have a reference #, please?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe mine may have a (very) mild clunk, too.....audible only upon sharp turn at the very lowest parking-lot speeds.
Short of an available TSB, can any member see what Rapid Response Transmittals (RSTs) have been issued for this truck??

The truck is buttery smooth, the headlights are great, the comfort & leather are Bentley-level, and the RamBoxes are sweet & most convenient.
My (predominantly highway) mileage quite easily tops 20 MPG. Note: Mine is 2WD, w/ 3:21 gears.

b) H-K stereo not as loud as the Alpine in my 2009 Ram (all the more disapointing, as the sound quality is so wonderful)
c) Driver's door chrome trim strip topper piece is misaligned....(thus breaking-up the smoothness of the visual character line on the driver's side of the vehicle).
d) Factory-installed Tri-Fold Tonneau cover does not sit flat on gasket, just behind the cab on passenger side.
e) Lane Sense system sometimes tells me to put my hands on the wheel, when they ARE already on it.
g) a minor (yet near constant, & anoying) plastic 'itch' noise, at the over-head roof controls-console trim surround.
My HK system reaches fairly high volumes. It's a early Sept build. Have them flash you up to the newest Uconnect revision.

The folding bed cover clamps don't touch the surface inside the rails with any force. I zip tyed a 1/4" thick piece of rubber to each clamp end and it allows the clamps to pull down tight now.

Duane

Reaction score
My HK system reaches fairly high volumes. It's a early Sept build. Have them flash you up to the newest Uconnect revision.

The folding bed cover clamps don't touch the surface inside the rails with any force. I zip tyed a 1/4" thick piece of rubber to each clamp end and it allows the clamps to pull down tight now.

Thanks much Snowman for the TSB; I am very releived to see that I will be able to gain improved volume (my build was in July)!!

Regarding the be clamps, they do have an extremely light grip. I feel like they should have maybe double the # of clamps, for both safety & a better seal.
Even if water-tight around the circumference however, there will still be that open gap for water to pour in on both sides of RamBox-equipped trucks (near the tailgate). Wish they'd accounted for that with their only factory-installed tonneau option.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My seals on my bed cover are all snug on the frame rails and tailgate. See my above reply. Ram won't address this but it is a simple fix. 8 zip ties and 4 small rubber spacer blocks and your done. 1/4" fuel line split down the side would work as well.

Duane

Reaction score
My seals on my bed cover are all snug on the frame rails and tailgate. See my above reply. Ram won't address this but it is a simple fix. 8 zip ties and 4 small rubber spacer blocks and your done. 1/4" fuel line split down the side would work as well.

Thank you, Excursion D.!

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Has anyone caught the “clunk” on video yet? I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread but can’t recall anyone posting one up.

Jhaney

Reaction score
I noticed this am my front end noise has nearly gone away with the cooler temps we’re experiencing now. It was 50 here this am. Tells me it must be in the rubber / plastic body isolators

Icecold77

Reaction score
OK guys, heres the scoop from my dealer experience on this. Dropped it off yesterday and the service manager said he indeed had read the TSB on the clunk and would be talking to FCA about the star case as well. Fast forward to today, a different service guy calls and says they can't find any issues with it clunking, lol. It does it on almost every turn FYI. So, no luck. I mentioned that the manager said he had acknowledged the TSB. The guy on the phone had no clue and it is what it is. I get that its still a new issue but why tell me that they saw the TSB and then backtrack? I am keeping my cool, however this new dealer i purchased thru has been awful to deal with. Its gonna be pound sand until we find this TSB number.

Appreciate the info. My clunk happens not only while at a hard turn and slow speeds but even a mild one at speed... I had the Clunk a month ago-driving my brand new custom ordered 19 home the day I bought it..

Grinnin

Reaction score
Had my truck at the dealer this week for the clunk, gave them the star case that’s mentioned much earlier in this thread (like page 10). They found and tightened loose bolts in the front lower control arms. Technician rode with me afterwards and we heard no clunks.

Since then I have heard a few but much quieter. So I’m thinking now there may have been two sources with one fixed for sure.

warvet

Reaction score
I haven't posted in a few weeks or so, but back to report that my clunk is still gone! I tried catching up on alot of the posts since my last post and I really want to tell some of you .............find another service department. There are many star cases open. They have been open for more than a month or so. My service department took the time to 'look' and they were there. Again ....replacing the isolator, bolts, and absorbers took care of mine along with my tech adding some foam which appears to remove alot of the metal on metal. To me, that foam acts as a washer which helps tighten things up more.

I do agree that we could all have different sources of clunk. I see some report tightening sway bars fixed theirs. That didn't fix mine. They even loosened and tightened my entire front end and all 6 mounts. For me, it was replacing isolators, bolts, absorbers

Polaris Man

Reaction score

A) use torx but to adjust the latches on the sides of the box, I had to do this and my gate closes very well now, mine was so bad when I got thentruck that the tail gate open message wasn't going away. I believe mine had to go down slightly (1/16th"). They are adjustable a fair amount.

pmac

Reaction score
OK guys, heres the scoop from my dealer experience on this. Dropped it off yesterday and the service manager said he indeed had read the TSB on the clunk and would be talking to FCA about the star case as well. Fast forward to today, a different service guy calls and says they can't find any issues with it clunking, lol. It does it on almost every turn FYI. So, no luck. I mentioned that the manager said he had acknowledged the TSB. The guy on the phone had no clue and it is what it is. I get that its still a new issue but why tell me that they saw the TSB and then backtrack? I am keeping my cool, however this new dealer i purchased thru has been awful to deal with. Its gonna be pound sand until we find this TSB number.
I had the clunk or noise when turning and it has been repaired. Here is what was said from the dealer tech.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 236

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the clunk or noise when turning and it has been repaired. Here is what was said from the dealer tech.

Would love to see these high spots and how to flatten as that sounds quicker than going to the dealer.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would love to see these high spots and how to flatten as that sounds quicker than going to the dealer.
Me too. I suspect a hand grinder would do it. The place on the body that the high spots are touching should be examined as well. Relieving that area would easy enough.

Jhaney

Reaction score
This is what the local dealer did to mine. I still hear a faint pop on occasion.

Attachments

• 925A0284-3AA5-438F-99EB-AB0401F5C5B6.jpeg
    925A0284-3AA5-438F-99EB-AB0401F5C5B6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what the local dealer did to mine. I still hear a faint pop on occasion.

That doesn't sound kosher. Reads like they removed some body mount parts and hey the clunk went away! But now you are left without the mount functioning as intended? I've not heard of anyone getting it fixed like this.

TurdFerguson

Reaction score
I noticed this am my front end noise has nearly gone away with the cooler temps we’re experiencing now. It was 50 here this am. Tells me it must be in the rubber / plastic body isolators

Mine too. Last couple mornings have been in the º40's and no noise at all. Had noticed as it has been cooling off the clunk has been fading and now is gone. Guess I am good until summer.

Users who are viewing this thread