5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
Glad to see a new star pub. I screen shot the number so I can take that to my dealer when I take my truck in. Provided the service department ever returns my call anyways.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put it back together. I made a rubber isolator. I couldn’t see any witness marks. I also put a rubber isolator on the top of the body mount bushes that touches the metal bracket.

I saw a few things that are hard to explain in regards to the bushings.

I drove the truck and it’s gone. My spots that were my known every time I turned there and heard the noise did not today.

I am going to keep driving as of now I’m very cautiously optimistic but I am going to do the passenger side just to be consistent.

I have had to fix every issue myself thus far. I had to fix my back sliding window rattle. My passenger front door panel was rattling driving me nuts. I fixed that the tweeter grill is metal and sits in a metal surround and was loose. I hope I have fixed my “clunk” and the last thing I hope to get fixed is the AC.

At the point now with these things fixed I am very happy. I love the truck. I do not know what possessed RAM to put these brackets metal to metal the way they did with no space or isolation. Just a bad design in my opinion.

Just will be glad to have this clunk gone because mine was all the time. Thank you delmonico 19 very much for leading me in the right direction

I’ll let you know if this fixes my truck in a fed days after I have driven it enough to be sure

iceorphen

Reaction score
I put it back together. I made a rubber isolator. I couldn’t see any witness marks. I also put a rubber isolator on the top of the body mount bushes that touches the metal bracket.

I saw a few things that are hard to explain in regards to the bushings.

I drove the truck and it’s gone. My spots that were my known every time I turned there and heard the noise did not today.

I am going to keep driving as of now I’m very cautiously optimistic but I am going to do the passenger side just to be consistent.

I have had to fix every issue myself thus far. I had to fix my back sliding window rattle. My passenger front door panel was rattling driving me nuts. I fixed that the tweeter grill is metal and sits in a metal surround and was loose. I hope I have fixed my “clunk” and the last thing I hope to get fixed is the AC.

At the point now with these things fixed I am very happy. I love the truck. I do not know what possessed RAM to put these brackets metal to metal the way they did with no space or isolation. Just a bad design in my opinion.

Just will be glad to have this clunk gone because mine was all the time. Thank you delmonico 19 very much for leading me in the right direction

I’ll let you know if this fixes my truck in a fed days after I have driven it enough to be sure

I feel like putting rubber in between will just delay it returning

iceorphen

Reaction score
do you have any better ideas on a DIY fix?
If it metal on metal this wont last, I'm just of the opinion that its a lot of work for a temp fix. The shims/body mod/shorter bolts just seem like a better idea for the amount of work involved.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it metal on metal this wont last, I'm just of the opinion that its a lot of work for a temp fix. The shims/body mod/shorter bolts just seem like a better idea for the amount of work involved.
Well when you take yours apart you come up with a fix. In my opinion when having it all apart the is no good way to shim it. The rubber I used will last long as the truck. It’s not like I got a rubber band style of rubber.

Anyways I’ll see how it holds up. If it doesn’t then I’ll do it again. It honestly did not take that long.

I forgot to mention I drilled two holes where the rounds marks were on the bracket. That appeared to be the only spots the bracket was making contact because it’s the only place it was through the paint of the bracket. So I center punched the outline of the hole and drilled out a 1/8 larger than the outline

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well when you take yours apart you come up with a fix. In my opinion when having it all apart the is no good way to shim it. The rubber I used will last long as the truck. It’s not like I got a rubber band style of rubber.

Anyways I’ll see how it holds up. If it doesn’t then I’ll do it again. It honestly did not take that long.

I forgot to mention I drilled two holes where the rounds marks were on the bracket. That appeared to be the only spots the bracket was making contact because it’s the only place it was through the paint of the bracket. So I center punched the outline of the hole and drilled out a 1/8 larger than the outline

Thank you very much for doing this AND taking the time to educate us on what you saw. Much appreciated!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll try to document the passenger side tomorrow.
That would be money, and you are awesone for sharing this approach. I’ll bet more than a few folks would be interested in hearing your fixes for those other little rattles and whatnot as well if you haven’t posted about them yet... metal on metal rattles would drive me nuts.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be money, and you are awesone for sharing this approach. I’ll bet more than a few folks would be interested in hearing your fixes for those other little rattles and whatnot as well if you haven’t posted about them yet... metal on metal rattles would drive me nuts.

Yeah. I’ll try to make some videos then. Even if what I have fixed. Just explain what I have done. I do NOT teust dealers at all. Just do not. So I’ve always tried to repair what I can on my own.

I’ll document the passenger side tomorrow and also some videos explaining the other items .

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Yeah. I’ll try to make some videos then. Even if what I have fixed. Just explain what I have done. I do NOT teust dealers at all. Just do not. So I’ve always tried to repair what I can on my own.

I’ll document the passenger side tomorrow and also some videos explaining the other items .
Hey not all of us are bad seeds haha. I bust my *** to make sure customers get their cars fixed at a fair price and fixed right the first time. And if I see someone else try to screw a customer I put a stop to it. I apologize that a few bad dealers have ruined your experiences.

OgRedd

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I may try this fix on my own once you post your video/pics. If it's not that difficult to do, I think I'll go for it.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey not all of us are bad seeds haha. I bust my *** to make sure customers get their cars fixed at a fair price and fixed right the first time. And if I see someone else try to screw a customer I put a stop to it. I apologize that a few bad dealers have ruined your experiences.
No . I know . My brother is a master Toyota tech and I know he works his *** off. But he also tells me how many do not. It’s a difficult situation to know just who to go to. If you were in my area I would take you my truck in a heart beat.

I can’t thank you enough for all the information and work you put Into this. I really can’t. I have tried to credit you as much as I can.

i know dealers are in a hard place because they have difficult and unreasonable customers and they have customers that just want their truck fixed. I am well aware of the tech world and how hard it is these days chasing rattles and noises. I know they are not money making adventures. So I try to do it myself as I’m capable.

These forums are what it’s all about for all of us. I think dealers should maybe work more with DYIers to streamline easy fixes. Because you getting 2/10 an hour for something that takes 3 hours isn’t fair but the guy that isn’t close to a dealer willing to spend all weekend fixing it would love to be able to know what and how and also get the parts. They could easily do a core exchange on warranty DYI parts.

Anyways I do not mean to bash dealers as I know there are good maybe great ones I was trying to tel you I know. It’s just for the average consumer about like winning the lottery to get a good one because one the turnover. And two just how many dealers there are .

OgRedd

Reaction score
Ok.. guys I took mine apart.. I had to fix it and since I do not trust dealers Im the one. Here is my drivers side bracket. I see some marks. not sure if those are whats causing it. Im going to put an isolator either rubber or dynamat to see if that fixes it.. View attachment 4931
Just had a thought. Wonder how much isolation/noise reduction would be achieved if Ram would just Line-X or rubber coat these brackets? Or, at least, the surface of the bracket that contacts the cab? Basically, a slight spin on @19RamLimited method.

Last edited:

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
No . I know . My brother is a master Toyota tech and I know he works his *** off. But he also tells me how many do not. It’s a difficult situation to know just who to go to. If you were in my area I would take you my truck in a heart beat.

I can’t thank you enough for all the information and work you put Into this. I really can’t. I have tried to credit you as much as I can.

i know dealers are in a hard place because they have difficult and unreasonable customers and they have customers that just want their truck fixed. I am well aware of the tech world and how hard it is these days chasing rattles and noises. I know they are not money making adventures. So I try to do it myself as I’m capable.

These forums are what it’s all about for all of us. I think dealers should maybe work more with DYIers to streamline easy fixes. Because you getting 2/10 an hour for something that takes 3 hours isn’t fair but the guy that isn’t close to a dealer willing to spend all weekend fixing it would love to be able to know what and how and also get the parts. They could easily do a core exchange on warranty DYI parts.

Anyways I do not mean to bash dealers as I know there are good maybe great ones I was trying to tel you I know. It’s just for the average consumer about like winning the lottery to get a good one because one the turnover. And two just how many dealers there are .
The best way to rate a dealer is talk to the tech that is working on your stuff. Unless the service advisor was a former tech most of them have no idea what they are saying. I get there’s some dealers just looking for a quick buck. And could care less about customers. But I treat all cars and customers like it’s my mom driving through the door.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So. I did the passenger side this morning. It honestly took 20 mins in total for me. I made videos so Ill splice them and post it. Here is a pic of what I made as an isolator. If this actually works Ill make a template and router it out of a nylon. So it holds up long term. If that works then If you guys want it ill make it available to you. Only if it works though.. Ill have to really test it longer term before I would get that far along.

I didn't see any real paint missing on this side. So Ill see what happens. IMG_2083.JPG

OgRedd

Reaction score
So. I did the passenger side this morning. It honestly took 20 mins in total for me. I made videos so Ill splice them and post it. Here is a pic of what I made as an isolator. If this actually works Ill make a template and router it out of a nylon. So it holds up long term. If that works then If you guys want it ill make it available to you. Only if it works though.. Ill have to really test it longer term before I would get that far along.

I didn't see any real paint missing on this side. So Ill see what happens. View attachment 4969
Subscribed, sir. (y)

warvet

Reaction score
So my parts were installed but they are also working with Star. One part I’m missing because of the storm. My advisor tried to explain it to me. Said that metal on metal is horrible and Star is reporting some sort of “noise dampening foam” that will also be installed to get rid of the metal on metal contact. I’ll pick up the truck today and take it back when that foam arrives.

He said the shorter bolts and new isolator, etc were installed and i should notice a difference but that foam is the last piece. So, we shall see!!! As long as they keep trying and are willing to make me happy, I’m good.

This almost sounds like 19ramlimited thing where he got rid of the metal to metal contact also.

Users who are viewing this thread