5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be wonderful if Ram would communicate this to their service organization. They seem to be going through everything but the sway bar to resolve the noise (to no avail), even after I suggested that they check the sway bar. They're supposedly just going through the diagnostics provided to them.
Try another Dealership. * 1st dealership i purchased from had my truck in service for over 2 hours only conclude that the rattle/clunk was coming from 2 places; my magnaflow catback exhaust and my ball hitch. I even printed out and provided them a copy of the TSB #23-047-18 (which was my original guess to the problem). They could care less and said that the TSB wasn't an official FCA recall and that they were not obligated to purse the suggested fix. I even offered to pay out of pocket the labor costs so I could just get-it-done... nope.... that's when I decided to take my truck to the next dealership closet to me and they treated me so much better. Customer service was on point, pinpointed and fixed my issue. Even provided me with a complementary rental car at no charge where my original dealership said the best they could do was provide me a shuttle to the nearest Enterprise where I would have to rent out of pocket....

JayMann

Reaction score
Greetings 5th gen Fam! I'm posting with a smile on my face because as of today my CLUNK is finally gone! -so here's a brief summary of my story...
I purchased my 2019 longhorn in October 2018 with 5 miles on the odometer. At around 100-150 miles I started hearing/experiencing the clunking/clanking/chatter which would occur at every little imperfection/bump in the road. I had a difficult time trying to pinpoint where the sound was coming from while driving. At times i heard it in the rear, most the time i would hear it up front. Sometimes I thought it was coming from mid-center of the under body. I would feel it through the floor at times. It literally made me sick to stomach driving my brand new truck. I brought it to my original dealership 3 times with horrible customer service and neglect. at 4,500 miles I decided to bring my truck to a different dealership where i was treated with much more respect and attention. while a tech took a drive with me to diagnose he instantly said it was most likely my Sway Bar Joints so they ordered the parts and called me in when they were delivered. My sway bar end links ended up being fine and all that was needed was for the front and rear to be re torqued. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I have driven 100 miles since picking up my truck and it feels like a whole new truck!! So relieved, so happy. If you are experiencing any chatter under your truck try having your dealership check your sway bar nuts for re torque.

is it just me or does the truck seem to drive a bit firmer? (in a good way)

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes sense, if the sway bar links are loose, there's a delay in when the bar is loaded up during cornering, allowing for more roll before transferring forces. Once the links are operating properly, the torsional resistance of the bar is immediate.

Boostfeen

Reaction score
I was the same way. Got very negative almost traded for a limited f150 but once I got it back and it was fixed I was happy again and haven’t had a problem since.

Give them a chance to fix it. I was ready to get out of the ram and never look back and now since it’s fixed I can’t see my self driving anything else.

At least they are trying to fix it and not saying they can’t replicate or don’t know what to do. Can’t really be upset with that.

I didn’t have my truck a month.
So whats the final fix ? Reading this thread has me so confused and annoyed

JayMann

Reaction score
So whats the final fix ? Reading this thread has me so confused and annoyed

I could be bitter/mean and make you read all 40 plus pages like I did ... but since I'm in a giving mood this morning...

The TSB does something with replacing some bolts and some rubber body to frame mounts I believe (if I remember right - I'm sure someone will correct me).

The OTHER fix that people have been having here more recently (pages 40 ish and up) is loose sway bar end links. Some people are getting them tightened others are getting them replaced but either way, this is fixing their clank.

Read more if you have more questions.

Dodson

Reaction score
I just got the clunk week ago. I'm a little over 1,000 miles. Today, I had them re-torque the cab to chasis bolts.....I think he said there were four (mentioned on another forum to maybe tighten them). I feel it directly under my left foot, but only on turns......and not on every turn. Just a lil pop/thud sound/feel. It doesn't happen alot, but now I'm riding around with no music, purposely listening and feeling for it.

I think I heard it twice after he tightened things up......on my way home from work, I didn't hear it at all. I'll keep listening and feeling for it. I bet they come out with a service bulletin if enough of us keep taking our trucks in. On another site, some mention to check the sway bar mounts.
MAn great to hear. Give us an update as u see fit. I have an Apt in several weeks for something else and bringing this up again.
Anybody heard any clunking noises while turning? I can replicate the issue fairly easily. Doesn’t happen every time but often. Not sure if it might be air bags, control arms, etc but definitely sounds suspension/steering related. Wondering if it’s something that will break in or a problem I should have looked at.
Hey all with this clunking and feeling under foot. I bought a 2019 Laramie and have been dealing with this since I bought the truck. It was in 4 times for the same issue and almost was going to be in buy back program. The service manager and I took a ride because they couldn’t duplicate noise so I rode with him until he heard it. There is a service bulletin now for this issue. Change a pillar mounts and bushings and change all bolts in bushings. Got it back yesterday and haven’t heard it yet. Hopefully this helps y’all.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's the thing people are forgetting to specify, and it's an important one.

If you have continuous clunking while driving on any surface that isn't glass smooth, then you should have the dealership look at the sway bar end links.

If you have an intermittent clunking when the vehicle articulates heavily, such as driving into a parking lot with a berm at the entrance that causes your front suspension to compress on one side and droop on the other side, then you should have the dealership look up the body mount TSB 23-047-18.

This thread is about the second condition, not the first.

Last edited:

Ram’dit

Reaction score
My limited is a January 2019 build. I have had it exactly 2 weeks as of today. Currently has 1630miles on it. About a week ago I hear very slight pop from driver front side. It only happened when going over bumps. 3 days ago the popping sound became very loud and would happen consistently while driving in straight line. I could also feel the pop in the steering wheel. Initially I was concerned that it might be a CV joint. Weird thing is I could only hear and feel below highway speeds. After having found this thread and reading it’s entirety I started looking for problems.

Turns out it’s a very simple fix. Left sway bar link was loose. I tightened about 3/4 of a turn on the nut. I took this video prior to making the change. I hope this helps everyone.

Video - Sway bar end links loose

Like most I was bummed that my $71K truck was having this problem.

Last edited:

Boostfeen

Reaction score
T
I could be bitter/mean and make you read all 40 plus pages like I did ... but since I'm in a giving mood this morning...

The TSB does something with replacing some bolts and some rubber body to frame mounts I believe (if I remember right - I'm sure someone will correct me).

The OTHER fix that people have been having here more recently (pages 40 ish and up) is loose sway bar end links. Some people are getting them tightened others are getting them replaced but either way, this is fixing their clank.

Read more if you have more questions.
Thx, I was reading the 40+ pages and was annoyed lol. The admins should delete 43 pages and someone should write one clear solution thread .

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
T

Thx, I was reading the 40+ pages and was annoyed lol. The admins should delete 43 pages and someone should write one clear solution thread .

The very title of this thread was updated to include the very solution to the original problem being diagnosed in this thread. (TSB 23-074-18).

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Turns out it’s a very simple fix. Left sway bar link was loose. I tightened about 3/4 of a turn on the nut. I took this video prior to making the change. I hope this helps everyone.
What size is the nut? As a handicapped individual, I'd like to limit getting under the truck to a single trip.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings 5th gen Fam! I'm posting with a smile on my face because as of today my CLUNK is finally gone! -so here's a brief summary of my story...
I purchased my 2019 longhorn in October 2018 with 5 miles on the odometer. At around 100-150 miles I started hearing/experiencing the clunking/clanking/chatter which would occur at every little imperfection/bump in the road. I had a difficult time trying to pinpoint where the sound was coming from while driving. At times i heard it in the rear, most the time i would hear it up front. Sometimes I thought it was coming from mid-center of the under body. I would feel it through the floor at times. It literally made me sick to stomach driving my brand new truck. I brought it to my original dealership 3 times with horrible customer service and neglect. at 4,500 miles I decided to bring my truck to a different dealership where i was treated with much more respect and attention. while a tech took a drive with me to diagnose he instantly said it was most likely my Sway Bar Joints so they ordered the parts and called me in when they were delivered. My sway bar end links ended up being fine and all that was needed was for the front and rear to be re torqued. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I have driven 100 miles since picking up my truck and it feels like a whole new truck!! So relieved, so happy. If you are experiencing any chatter under your truck try having your dealership check your sway bar nuts for re torque.

Good to know, MValdez. I've got a little over 1,000 miles on my truck with no issues. But if the clunking starts up, I know what to suggest to my dealership.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll probably bring more with me, but at least it gives me an idea about the scope of the arrangement.

Ram’dit

Reaction score
I used an open end wrench. It would take a deep socket if you go that route. I raised truck to off-road 2 and used a creeper. Not super easy access, but not hard either.

Does anyone know the torque spec for the end links?

Users who are viewing this thread