5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with 6 speaker base stereo who have upgraded-What speaker did you use?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Was just looking these up to swap into my truck. Did you purchase the 2 ohms or 4 ohms? Already swapped the dash to the infinity and looking for the best route for the doors. Thinking of doing the infinity 9633 for the other set of doors.
I originally got the 4ohm CL-69S - BUT, should have gotten the 2ohm. I just swapped them out for the CL-69SUB (2 ohm). I have the Infin 9633 in my rear doors (But are disconnected with my current set up) They are pretty solid speakers for the price

Kendig83

Reaction score
I originally got the 4ohm CL-69S - BUT, should have gotten the 2ohm. I just swapped them out for the CL-69SUB (2 ohm). I have the Infin 9633 in my rear doors (But are disconnected with my current set up) They are pretty solid speakers for the price
Can I ask why you currently have them disconnected in the door? Which setup sounded better, the cl-69s or cl-69sub? I don’t know much about audio but trying to figure out a good setup.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Can I ask why you currently have them disconnected in the door? Which setup sounded better, the cl-69s or cl-69sub? I don’t know much about audio but trying to figure out a good setup.
I’ve replaced the entire system, except for the head unit. with my DSP, I have most of the sound up front, except for widebands in the headliner, and those just provide a little rear fill. With the stock amplifier, you’re better off leaving the rear connected, since they are full range.

I liked both those CDTs, but I have my front doors set up for mid-bass only, so went with the Cl-sub when swapping out to the 2ohm. The CL-69S might be better with the stock amp/crossovers. Plus- you may have to add spacers with the Cl-sub, since it’s a deeper speaker,

InRoostWeTrust

Reaction score
I did all the reading across many forms and form pages and went with the CL69 6x9 4 Ohm (slim) speaker offered by: [CDT Audio Subwoofer CL-69S
I also went with the FaitalPRO 8 Ohm speakers for the dash with 300 mF cap for a bass-blocker (placed in series on the positive speaker lead).

Stock door speakers are said to be 2 ohm, but the CL69's are very efficient (~91db), so I was lead to believe that the 4 ohm version would be best... maybe the 2 ohm version would help?

This set-up was much improved, but the Faitel's were louder than I wanted, so I added a 4 ohm resistor in series (after the bass-blocking capacitor) before building the proper L-Pad (this L-Pad keeps the amp seeing an 8 Ohm load while not effecting the cut-off of the bass-blocker capacitor).
This "helped" reduce volume from the dash a little, but its still too 'loud' in my opinion. I also tried damping loudness with foam with little luck.

I then tried the Infinity REF-3032cfx (3-4 Ohm) with same bass-blocker and it was even louder than the Faitel's, and then tried adding the same 4 ohm resistor.
This was still too loud and sound was too bright (too much tweeter) - I tried dampening the tweeter with foam and it helped a little, but still too loud overall.
This set-up seemed to also 'rob' available power from the door 6x9's (probably because the 4 Ohm dash speakers were consuming too much power from the door speaker that are in parallel with the dash speakers.

I resorted back to the Faitel's with the same L-Pad (4 ohm in series and 8 ohm in parallel)... this is suppose to reduce volume by ~6 db.

During this process, I wondered if the Hemi's noise cancellation system may have been playing tricks on perceived power loss on the door speakers, so I by-passed the ANC system with the $10 by-pass cable... and have since left this by-passed with no negative effects (I hear no added noise without ANC).

I still think the Faitel's are better (being they are 8 ohm), but they seem to be just a bit too loud for my satisfaction... I'll see if I can get use to it, or maybe someday try a different 8 ohm dash speaker with a lower sensitivity value (something lower than the advertised ~91 db value).

I'd also like more more mid-range in the overall soundstage, but that might require different door speakers (or maybe coaxial door speakers). If I could mount speakers up higher in the door (like on a Laramie) maybe my wish for more mid-range could be solved, but I have the Big horn.

If anyone has any recommendations for me to try (i.e different dash speakers with a lower sensitivity at 8 ohms, or other ways to control volume without effecting overall door/dash 'power'), please let me know your thoughts.

I had thoughts of going back to stock door speakers and re-trying the 2 different dash speakers, but I have already purchased the CL69's and like them too much. Still wonder how the CL69's would perform if they were 2 ohm?

Also, when the door panels were removed the first time, I applied 2-4 layers of 80-mil Road-Kill to the insides of the plastic door panels to help minimize vibrations and noise (the kit was only $50 on Amazon)...

Ramblings of a crazy Ram owner... but its crazy Ram designed the system like they did.

Roost!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve had the infinity references for 1.5-2 years, but both of them in the front doors are shot now from moisture getting to them any time I wash the truck or it rains. For the audio guys out there, is it more likely that the speakers themselves were affected by the moisture, or the crutchfield adapters? Obviously the stock speakers would’ve been affected by the same levels of moisture but I never noticed issues with the stock ones. Thanks!

Brunzca

Reaction score
I’ve had the infinity references for 1.5-2 years, but both of them in the front doors are shot now from moisture getting to them any time I wash the truck or it rains. For the audio guys out there, is it more likely that the speakers themselves were affected by the moisture, or the crutchfield adapters? Obviously the stock speakers would’ve been affected by the same levels of moisture but I never noticed issues with the stock ones. Thanks!

I think the infinity’s are more likely to be damaged by water intrusion than the stocks, because of their design. The reference series (if not all Infinitys) have a vented voice coil, which allows water to get in the speaker. I dont remember if the stock speakers were vented, but I highly doubt it. you can get baffles to go around the back of the speaker to protect against this, but it may slightly muffle the sound

5-B1-E7802-4-BCF-4-F44-9-ED6-2-D4-C9-FA958-E5.jpg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I think the infinity’s are more likely to be damaged by water intrusion than the stocks, because of their design. The reference series (if not all Infinitys) have a vented voice coil, which allows water to get in the speaker. I dont remember if the stock speakers were vented, but I highly doubt it. you can get baffles to go around the back of the speaker to protect against this, but it may slightly muffle the sound

5-B1-E7802-4-BCF-4-F44-9-ED6-2-D4-C9-FA958-E5.jpg
Thank you for that response! That makes a lot of sense. Are all aftermarket ones typically vented?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I can't say for certain.. I think most of the time, it's only on subs. I can say that the CDT's I have aren't vented - not sure about others

cl69subcf_lrg.png
Alright that’s great to know. Seems like a ton of people go with CDT so I’ll go that route if the stock ones bug me too much. Thanks!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Last question, when I put my stock speakers in storage I didn’t mark which is front and which is rear. Does it matter or are they the same? I knew all this stuff a couple years ago but I totally forgot now haha

Brunzca

Reaction score
Last question, when I put my stock speakers in storage I didn’t mark which is front and which is rear. Does it matter or are they the same? I knew all this stuff a couple years ago but I totally forgot now haha
I don’t remember if the front/back door speakers were different, or not. Probably not (At least for the Alpine package). The difference in sound comes from the crossovers in the factory amp.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@brian42

Dumb question...

Since the metra connectors for the dash speakers are wired in reverse and since we are mostly using bass blockers can't we just wire the metra up to the stock harness (and then to the BB) and then flip the wires on the bass blocker when connecting to the speaker (+ to - )? Wouldn't that be easier than swapping pins?

So stock wires ---> Metra (assuming reversed) ----> Bass blocker ----> aftermarket dash speakers but flipping + and - terminals? (BB - to speaker +)
Possible but requires a lot more work. Each lead has a different size connector that is crimped on the line.

I had the choice of swapping the leads in the Metra connector or cut the connectors off the base blocker and crimp new ones on. I went the easier route.

2wheelsonly

Reaction score
Finally installed my speakers yesterday. I went with the faital PRO 3FE22 8 ohm units.

Disclaimer: The following is merely my experience and opinion regarding my speaker replacement. My personal tastes, desires, and budget may not be in line with yours. I take everything with a grain of salt and I hope you do too as everything that follows is almost completely subjective. YMMV.

They are considerably brighter than the OEM ones without being tinny. The clarity is much better too, although I'm sure that would be with just about anything aftermarket you drop in there.

I've been messing with the EQ settings to dial things in and I'm about 80% there and already happy with my decision. They have much more of a presence that the OEM ones and I've had to go back to the drawing board for sound settings. Even with only 3 settings in the EQ it doesn't take much to make a change in the overall sound in the cab so it will take some time to dial in. I'm trying to find a good overall setting to play all of my music. I'd figure out settings for each type I listen to but I don't have any EQ memory settings and my days of geeking out and making a settings chart are long behind me. I just want to play whatever floats my boat that day and have it sound good.

I kept the same balance (8 ohm speakers) with the door speakers as I am not interested in replacing my door speakers so wanted to keep things as stock-ish as possible. I was concerned that a 4 ohm speaker would further accentuate the imbalance forcing me to keep the treble setting low so I wouldn't lose the mid-bass in the front doors. That's pure conjecture on my part but a concern I had none-the-less.

My install went as most other have posted but ran into my own issues as is customary with just about anything I do. I am incredibly OCD about things (especially vehicles) so I had to make some adjustments to install things to my standards.

I will not post many pictures as the dash speakers have been discussed ad nauseam.

The grills are in there tight and I thought I was going to break the tabs when removing them. I didn't but I came close as the passenger's side seems to be wedged under the pillar trim a little more than the driver's side. I was able to work at it to get the grill out but the corner tab was not at a natural angle when it came out. It's still there but I can see the discoloration at the base of the tab (at the grill) where the plastic is weakened.

The stock speaker. It is indeed an 8 ohm speaker. I don't think there's a crossover built into the audio unit (like the amplified Alpine and HK) as there is a high pass filter (capacitor) attached to it:

View attachment 68028

The new speaker:

View attachment 68029

To select the mounts I was going to use I inspected the dash openings to determine which direction would have the best open area for the connection tabs on the faital PROs. I lined up the speakers so that the driver's side speaker tabs were facing inward (towards the center of the dash) and the passenger's side speaker tabs were facing forward (towards the hood). Luckily there's ample room in the pocket for the bass blockers and wiring but I wanted to make sure the tabs would be clear of interference when I installed the speakers (I said I was OCD).

Where most have only removed 1 of the unused mounts I removed both of the ones I did not use so that it was an even and flat fit. This also allowed the foam gasket (vibration insulation) to maximize contact. The two opposing mounts that I used on the speaker needed to be modified as they are a little shorter than the distance between the zip nuts. Others have tapped new holes in the plastic and not modified the mounts but I opted to use the OEM locations with the limited working space and my sausage fingers.

To do that I used my rotary tool and cutting wheel (some have used tin snips). I cut off the two mounts I wasn't going to use then opened up the two mounts I used. I cut the loop piece out of the end so that it was forked and ground down the raised lip for about 1/2 of the mount so that the screw would make full contact with the mount (did I mention I was OCD?).

I used the Metra 72-7902 connectors to make life easier...I thought. Turns out that they are wired backwards (out of phase). I'm not sure if they are all this way or if I'm in the minority but check your Metra connector to see how the wires line up. The white wire is (+) and the black wire is (-). The OEM connector has a different tracer for each speaker location but the main colors for all speaker connectors are violet (+) and yellow (-):

View attachment 68031

Doing a test fit (I lined up the connectors but did not press them into place) I found out that the Metra connectors are wired backwards (out of phase). I called Crutchfield and their recommendation was to cut the connectors off and put new ones on (larger connector on black wire and smaller connector on white wire). While this solves the issue you will have to remember that the colors are now opposite. Not acceptable for my OCD.

I had 3 options:

1. Not use the connector, clip the factory connector, put the spade connectors on the OEM wires, and connect the bass blockers/speakers.
2. Clip the connectors on the Metra wires and put new ones on.
3. Figure out how to swap the pins in the Metra connector.

There was only option that I deemed acceptable. I decided to figure out how to remove the pins and swap sides. As I discovered it is not as simple as it seems. I will spare the tedious experimentation and slew of expletives and skip to the process. On the back of the connector there is a little lock/flap that has two very small (and easily damaged) tabs and loops. I used a very small (electronic) flat blade screwdriver to pry those loops slightly out. Then I put a pick tool between the wires in the back of the plug and popped the tab up:

View attachment 68037

Then I used the pick tool in the pin side and gently pushed it along the pin on the 'top' of the pin (picture above shows the plug in the 'up' position). Applying a little pressure with the pick tool and gently pulling on the wire I was able to ease the pin out of the back of the connector with moderate effort. I'm not sure how it's held in there but it's not the traditional locking tab you see in many other types of plugs (like Molex connectors). Once you have both pins out swap sides (if you forget which side is which compare it to your truck connector so that the white wire lines up with the violet wire and the black wire lines up with the yellow wire). Make sure the pins are fully re-seated in the connector and close the locking tab and make sure it latches in the loops so it doesn't come open.

Next is the bass blockers. As others have said the spade tabs fit nicely into the Metra connectors. The plastic covers for the connectors should be touching (or very close) when they are fully seated. Like DrDrew, I was not impressed with the connectors. Mine seemed to be done at different pressures. Two seemed to be just enough for the crimp and the others seemed like there was way too much pressure used (one of the insulators was cracked). I wasn't going to see them and they would not be subjected to weather buried in the dash so it was not worth trying to get replacements and wait longer to install my speakers (convenience overrode OCD in this rare case).

I connected the white and black wires to the speaker. I used some due diligence so that I did not break the tabs on the speaker. The red dot over the larger tab is the (+) tab. The white wire (with the bass blocker installed in-line) is the (+) wire and had the larger tab so it's fairly idiot-proof (bass blocker should be installed on the (+) wire). I plugged the Metra connector into the truck plug and fed the wires down into the dash pockets. Luckily the pockets have plenty of room as the Crutchfield bass blockers add 7" or so if wiring. I centered the speakers over the mounts, snugged down the screws, and fired up the audio. Once I confirmed that both speakers were working I popped the grills back in and put my tools away.

What I thought was going to be an hour ended up being about four to get it done. My efforts, as usual, are more the exception than the rule. Hope this helps anyone considering this.

Getting this done was a consolidation of a lot if information I collected from others. Thanks to the following who made this possible: @YoAdrian (speaker specs), @I Love Grits (base audio wiring diagram), @Rambiss (for starting this thread for just the base audio system), and @Sonnie (for recommending the faital PRO speakers).

Are you 100% sure the yellow is - and purple is + because I have been reading up so many threads throughout so many forums and i'd say based on your pictures that probably 80-90% of people upgrading the dash are wiring them backwards.

For example:

@KNGSNK11 posted this photo.

20200725_145834-jpg.63326

Based on your picture, the yellow wire attaches to the left wire and that is + on his image. He is technical backwards according to your photo; looks like his connect is also backwards and it's not the metra one.

Here is your photo:

speaker_truck-connector-jpg.68031

The clip only inserts one way and yellow (-) is clearly on the left.

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Here’s an update for anyone wondering. Took the infinity ref 6x9s out yesterday and man they took some abuse from the water that gets in the door! The connections all rusted out and the wires from the crutchfield connectors literally just corroded until they broke off (before I even touched them!). I was shocked to see so much water in the door. For now the stock speakers are back in. They do have 2 different part numbers (I’m assuming diff numbers for front and rear) but I plugged them all in and I didn’t notice any difference in audio between the 2 part numbers so I just used the ones labeled like 3128 or something like that. Maybe 3133? Idk I can’t remember the number lol. 20B99DCF-2F6B-41AA-B474-3B94D9A352EE.jpeg 53F2A4F8-8405-4DC7-81D3-8439AF826136.jpeg 949E0C55-89FA-4AD3-AD51-FC32AC85521B.jpeg

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
1. Has anyone tried only replacing the rear door speakers? The four front door/dash speakers seem well balanced and sound ok IMO. However, the two back door speakers are a muddled mess. Anyone else go this route as a first step?

2. Has anyone tried Infinity component speakers in the front? One person in this thread tried the Kenwood's. I’d think more would have tried this route to avoid mismatched sound that so many have experienced. In fact, is there a reason I am missing why more people did not go with component speakers up front?

Thank you everyone.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
1. Has anyone tried only replacing the rear door speakers? The four front door/dash speakers seem well balanced and sound ok IMO. However, the two back door speakers are a muddled mess. Anyone else go this route as a first step?

2. Has anyone tried Infinity component speakers in the front? One person in this thread tried the Kenwood's. I’d think more would have tried this route to avoid mismatched sound that so many have experienced. In fact, is there a reason I am missing why more people did not go with component speakers up front?

Thank you everyone.
Well after removing my infinity speakers up front and putting the stock ones back in I currently have stocks up front and infinity ref 6x9s in the rear. The infinity’s sound a lot brighter & better imo, BUT since the stock front ones aren’t as bright I tend to want to increase treble in the menu and when I do that it obviously increases treble in the rear too which kinda makes the back seat sound like crap because it’s all highs and not enough mids. Hope this helps!

4thRam

Reaction score
I put Infinity Reference speakers in the dash and all 4 doors. All the Infinty speakers are 3 ohms. I have lost most of my mids and bass after doing this. From reading this whole thread it seems like I need to go to an 8ohm speaker for the dash to help this issue. Has anyone found a new 8 ohm speaker for the dash? Faital are out of stock from what I can see. Or, is there something else I should do to help the lack of mid and bass frequencies?

Rebel 22

Reaction score
I have a 22 rebel base system with ANC. I’ve replaced all speakers. Just want to add a 50-70 watt amp. What ANC bypass harness is everyone using to make amp installation easier. By easier I mean not having to cut the factory wiring harness. Thank you.

Rebel 22

Reaction score
I have a 22 rebel base system with ANC. I’ve replaced all speakers. Just want to add a 50-70 watt amp. What ANC bypass harness is everyone using to make amp installation easier. By easier I mean not having to cut the factory wiring harness. Thank you.
I should have mentioned I have Faital pros in the dash, CDT CL-69S in front doors, and Infinity 9632ix in the rear. Only want to run amp to the doors. Dash is loud and clear enough.

Brunzca

Reaction score
You can use an APH-C03 to bypass the ANC, but if you are looking to amplify all the speakers (not just the sub), I believe you will also need an AP4-CH41

Users who are viewing this thread