5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

Lhoward09

Reaction score
The complete trailer brake controller kit for the 2019 ram is the following part number:

82215278AD

It is out of stock everywhere, or on hold. It is roughly $250-$300 retail.

The individual parts broken down that you will need that are available now (for less):

68277136af trailer tow module $147.50
68309259ab switch instrument panel $55.62
68346572ab mopar bracket $3.05
6510468aa x3 nuts $1.24 each
6101946 x3 screw $1.24 each

All the prices above are higher than what you should pay. It is cheaper to order them separately than as a complete kit. I called another dealer and they gave me wholesale pricing which added up to almost $80 less. I ordered these myself, and will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

"UPDATE" Had the dealer install, and program the truck ECU for $170 Labor. Works like a charm! Would recommend ordering separately to save $100.
Thank you for sharing this! Literally one of the easiest things to install. Just have to have the dealer flash the truck now.

Bearwhiz

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Lone Star 4x4 with the 3.91 rearend. Does anyone know what it takes or cost to have the electric trailer brake hooked up? Thanks.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends on where you are but usually around $300-500 for parts and to get it flashed at the dealer. Some dealers are good and won't charge you too much to get it flashed and others charge quite a bit so shop around for a dealer if you can.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Lots of info here

Cerino2000

Reaction score
Another successful install just buying the parts individually. Bravo to the guy that figured that out and also to those of you who took pics and posted them.

To anyone who did this on their 4th gen and remember how much of a PITA the bracket was (there was one screw that was so nearly impossible to do that most skipped it and used a zip tie), this 5th gen install was cake work. The hardest part was getting the darn switch plate off to put the actual switch in. Overall a simpler job. Hardly cussed at all.

We’ll see how much the dealer charges to flash the truck.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Just ordered the parts for myself. Got a dealer quoting $50 to flash. Parts will be here Monday or Tuesday and I'll install then.

Little tip to save an extra few bucks, if you put the parts in your cart and start to go through the checkout process (entering email and shipping info) and then leave it for a while, you'll get an automatic email "reminding you" to checkout. I was shopping around for the best shipping cost and fastest shipping so the parts were sitting in the cart on a few different mopar sites.

Included in the email on a few of them was a discount code for 25% off shipping. Not much but saved me another $4-5. Not gonna pay any bills off with that but it'll buy me lunch.

Jcalton

Reaction score
Just ordered the parts for myself. Got a dealer quoting $50 to flash. Parts will be here Monday or Tuesday and I'll install then.

Little tip to save an extra few bucks, if you put the parts in your cart and start to go through the checkout process (entering email and shipping info) and then leave it for a while, you'll get an automatic email "reminding you" to checkout. I was shopping around for the best shipping cost and fastest shipping so the parts were sitting in the cart on a few different mopar sites.

Included in the email on a few of them was a discount code for 25% off shipping. Not much but saved me another $4-5. Not gonna pay any bills off with that but it'll buy me lunch.

Parts came today and just finished installing. I'll stop by the dealers in the next few days when I'm out that way.

Install was fairly uneventful up until I dropped the last clip for the uppermost hole to mount the bracket. It fell under the center console never to be seen again. As long as I dont hear it rattle it can stay there.

When i go to the dealer I'm going to see if they have any. If not I'll put a nut & bolt on it until I can add one of those clips to another purchase.

bhurst10

Reaction score
Will this part work with the 12 inch screen [Control Switch Assembly Part #: 68309259AB] asking cause in the notes it saids "1500. Without 12 display". If not does anyone know the correct part number.

outdoorsmn660

Reaction score
Will this part work with the 12 inch screen [Control Switch Assembly Part #: 68309259AB] asking cause in the notes it saids "1500. Without 12 display". If not does anyone know the correct part number.
X2! Anybody have any insight on this? Looking to order parts ASAP

Brad2064

Reaction score
I have the 12" display without air susp and I bought the original parts list from the first page not knowing any different. After I ordered I saw the above post about different parts for the 12" display. The vendor I chose had a $60 price difference between the original part number and the 12" display part number. I spoke with the vendor and he couldn't find any difference between the parts and said I could try it and return it if it wasn't right. I installed it last night and it fit normally. I have not taken it to the dealer yet but all plugs and pins fit normally. Take my experience for what its worth.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I have the 12" display without air susp and I bought the original parts list from the first page not knowing any different. After I ordered I saw the above post about different parts for the 12" display. The vendor I chose had a $60 price difference between the original part number and the 12" display part number. I spoke with the vendor and he couldn't find any difference between the parts and said I could try it and return it if it wasn't right. I installed it last night and it fit normally. I have not taken it to the dealer yet but all plugs and pins fit normally. Take my experience for what its worth.
While it may fit normally and may work, I don't know. I do know from experience "sometimes" it has to do with how the part is built/set up internally for the electrical components.

Brad2064

Reaction score
Love2driveRAM, I completely agree. I will update once I get it flashed and see what happens. Thx

Jcalton

Reaction score
If it uses the same brake module and sales code I would hazard to say it will work fine. There is the chance that a signal sent to the module could configure it to treat the signals from the dash buttons differently but I'd be surprised if that's the case.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Techguy2000

Reaction score
I have installed the brake controller but haven't had the truck flashed at the dealership yet, does anyone know if the buttons light up?

Magredvet

Reaction score
I have installed the brake controller but haven't had the truck flashed at the dealership yet, does anyone know if the buttons light up?
The + and - buttons light up with the dash lights, they are difficult to see in the daylight, but if you try in the dark, they should be lit.

Users who are viewing this thread