5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

TVANVA

Reaction score
Ha, your bracket looks pristine compared to mine, which was almost totally covered in surface rust. I should have taken a "before" pic, but a few minutes of sanding/priming/painting and here is mine:
102_6268.JPG
Tag me as OCD (and, yeah, my truck is Blue Streak, so I color matched, kinda), but I'm not putting a rusty anything under my dash even if it just holds the module.

Reaction score
Have a question for those who have done this or have the brake control in general. I did mine tonight and will have it flashed tomorrow. The only back lights are for the plus and minus button correct? And then regarding those back lights, when I roll my dial up and down the brightness of them changes like you would expect, but when I flip the dial all the way up to full brightness they do not go to Max bright like all the other buttons with the paddles to the right of them. Is this normal behavior?

For those that haven't done this and are debating that, it really is easy and I would prefer to do it myself so I know it was done right and not too rough. I went the old-fashioned method and grab the top of the bezel by the tray for the display and pulled back hard one solid time and it came right off. One of the plastic Clips was stuck in the hole so I had to get it out of the hole and put it back on the display but beyond that it was a perfect process. These plastic Clips are much better than the old metal ones that were not very forgiving.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I just got all parts for kit from Mopar America, it took about a week. Mounting bracket came with no rust on it. Now I need to find time and read forum again on the installation tips.

Attachments

• 0503190538.jpg
    0503190538.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 37

deanfx

Reaction score
I just got all parts for kit from Mopar America, it took about a week. Mounting bracket came with no rust on it. Now I need to find time and read forum again on the installation tips.
Did you order the kit or piece it together with part numbers? Was the kit part number 82215278AD?

Ickabod

Reaction score
Did you order the kit or piece it together with part numbers? Was the kit part number 82215278AD?
I just got my parts from mopar america yesterday. I will be putting this in tomorrow. I ordered the parts separately.

deanfx

Reaction score
Well mopar america is out of stock. So is every other online seller. I ended up finding a kit on GA and had to pay full retail for the parts. $402 bucks shipped. I feel like I've been price duped.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Installed mine today. About 45 minutes. The bracket install was the hardest part due to accessibility, but not too bad. Here are some pics.

The wires are bundled up under the dash. You have to unwrap them and pull them down to install them in the module.

The bracket gets installed behind the dash.

Another angle of the bracket.

And with the module installed.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I start doing the install and found GPS tracking device from stealer.

Attachments

• 0505190907_HDR.jpg
    0505190907_HDR.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 126

AndreiV

Reaction score
Any tips on how to remove blank switch? Everything else was easy but struggling to remove blank switch without damaging clips that will be reused. What is a trick here?

Attachments

• 0505191142_HDR.jpg
    0505191142_HDR.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 76

AndreiV

Reaction score
Any ideas: if sales code not added by stealer will brake controller not function all together? Or will function but without displaying it's features in Uconnect?

Reaction score
Have a question for those who have done this or have the brake control in general. I did mine tonight and will have it flashed tomorrow. The only back lights are for the plus and minus button correct? And then regarding those back lights, when I roll my dial up and down the brightness of them changes like you would expect, but when I flip the dial all the way up to full brightness they do not go to Max bright like all the other buttons with the paddles to the right of them. Is this normal behavior?

For those that haven't done this and are debating that, it really is easy and I would prefer to do it myself so I know it was done right and not too rough. I went the old-fashioned method and grab the top of the bezel by the tray for the display and pulled back hard one solid time and it came right off. One of the plastic Clips was stuck in the hole so I had to get it out of the hole and put it back on the display but beyond that it was a perfect process. These plastic Clips are much better than the old metal ones that were not very forgiving.

Can anyone please check theirs?

AndreiV

Reaction score
Any ideas: if sales code not added by stealer will brake controller not function all together? Or will function but without displaying it's features in Uconnect?
So I bought 7-pin tester of Amazon, $8 and a change and tested Brake Controller without SW flash. As far as voltages everything works on the 7-pin end, manual trailer lever works as well. Just missing cluster and uconnect functions without SW flash.

Attachments

• 0510191829.jpg
    0510191829.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 38

KeithDewey

Reaction score
same line of question - if I install with no SW flash, how easy is it to calibrate/adjust the controller without the dash readouts? How can you determine the gain setting for your trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread