5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I'm new here-- what is the purpose of the controller and why are guys getting it separate ?
If you have a trailer with electric brakes or electric/hydraulic brakes then you need a brake controller otherwise the brakes will never work.

staffcurtis

Reaction score
FYI, the dealership I went to charged the same amount to install the parts AND program the controller as just programming the controller would cost. The other two I called quoted the same as well. I would let them do both to make sure all goes well since the price shouldn't change (1.5 hrs regardless).

TrackDay

Reaction score
FYI, I just confirmed with Mopar Wholesale Parts that they have everything. I ordered through them for $120.42 shipped.
Yep, Steve White was out of the bracket. I tried calling Mopar Wholesale Parts and there is no operator. It goes to a voicemail for someone named Josh. Oh well.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Received a phone call from my dealer that the brake controller and the power sides steps were in so it looks like the supply is starting to catch up.

I would have gone this route and just assembled it myself but it was part of the Dealer We Owe so o figured I would just let them do it however they wanted to handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Finally received all my parts. Debating on installing it all myself or just letting the dealer do it. From what you said OP, they charged the same no matter what? Seems odd but if that’s the case for every dealer then it’s a no brainer to let them do it all.

mjw930

Reaction score
Went in to get my controller programmed and went home without a functioning controller. No technical issue, the setup requires the dealership log into dealerconnect and update the options on my VIN. Apparently the only person in the dealership with the password to get into this part of dealerconnect is the dealer principal (owner) and she decided to fly up to Michigan for her fathers birthday unannounced. Sometimes facts are stranger then fiction. I guess that’s what I get for going to a small town dealer instead of the mega dealer right up the road but I refuse to pay $147 for them to “program” the controller, it’s 10 minutes of work watching a screen count up from 0% to 100%. Yep, they quoted me $147 at my purchasing dealer to update the computer. Hopefully the small dealer will get their **** together and I can get it done for $50.

JV77

Reaction score
Received a phone call from my dealer that the brake controller and the power sides steps were in so it looks like the supply is starting to catch up.

I would have gone this route and just assembled it myself but it was part of the Dealer We Owe so o figured I would just let them do it however they wanted to handle it.

@Dmalonecentral Did your dealer order your brake controller as the entire assembly or did they piece it together using the individual parts such as the OP? I have had one on order since mid December and my dealer is telling me it is still in redesign and is showing June for the assembly. I provided them the individual part numbers from this thread and they can get those, but they won't accept liability if for some reason something doesn't work. This is a dealer we owe for me, so it's already been paid for as part of the original purchase. I would just wait until the revised assembly is released, but I am planning to tow a camper in a few weeks and would like to have this installed prior to that.

Went in to get my controller programmed and went home without a functioning controller. No technical issue, the setup requires the dealership log into dealerconnect and update the options on my VIN. Apparently the only person in the dealership with the password to get into this part of dealerconnect is the dealer principal (owner) and she decided to fly up to Michigan for her fathers birthday unannounced. Sometimes facts are stranger then fiction. I guess that’s what I get for going to a small town dealer instead of the mega dealer right up the road but I refuse to pay $147 for them to “program” the controller, it’s 10 minutes of work watching a screen count up from 0% to 100%. Yep, they quoted me $147 at my purchasing dealer to update the computer. Hopefully the small dealer will get their **** together and I can get it done for $50.

@mjw930 Did you get yours working after this post? I am assuming you ordered the individual parts and installed yourself, is that correct? Edit: sorry I just looked back at page 2 and saw that you did install yourself. I would still like to know if your dealer was able to get everything working for you.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
@Dmalonecentral Did your dealer order your brake controller as the entire assembly or did they piece it together using the individual parts such as the OP? I have had one on order since mid December and my dealer is telling me it is still in redesign and is showing June for the assembly. I provided them the individual part numbers from this thread and they can get those, but they won't accept liability if for some reason something doesn't work. This is a dealer we owe for me, so it's already been paid for as part of the original purchase. I would just wait until the revised assembly is released, but I am planning to tow a camper in a few weeks and would like to have this installed prior to that.

@mjw930 Did you get yours working after this post? I am assuming you ordered the individual parts and installed yourself, is that correct? Edit: sorry I just looked back at page 2 and saw that you did install yourself. I would still like to know if your dealer was able to get everything working for you.

I really don’t know how they did it but everything seems to be in working order.

NortheastRebel19

Reaction score
About to install the setup. Any dealers give you guys any s-it for installing it yourself? I know the dealer has to program it.

MCSandersbro

Reaction score
The complete trailer brake controller kit for the 2019 ram is the following part number:

82215278AD

It is out of stock everywhere, or on hold. It is roughly $250-$300 retail.

The individual parts broken down that you will need that are available now (for less):

68277136af trailer tow module $147.50
68309259ab switch instrument panel $55.62
68346572ab mopar bracket $3.05
6510468aa x3 nuts $1.24 each
6101946 x3 screw $1.24 each

All the prices above are higher than what you should pay. It is cheaper to order them separately than as a complete kit. I called another dealer and they gave me wholesale pricing which added up to almost $80 less. I ordered these myself, and will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

"UPDATE" Had the dealer install, and program the truck ECU for $170 Labor. Works like a charm! Would recommend ordering separately to save $100.
Thanks for this, just ordered the parts.

ddrivers

Reaction score
The complete trailer brake controller kit for the 2019 ram is the following part number:

82215278AD

It is out of stock everywhere, or on hold. It is roughly $250-$300 retail.

The individual parts broken down that you will need that are available now (for less):

68277136af trailer tow module $147.50
68309259ab switch instrument panel $55.62
68346572ab mopar bracket $3.05
6510468aa x3 nuts $1.24 each
6101946 x3 screw $1.24 each

All the prices above are higher than what you should pay. It is cheaper to order them separately than as a complete kit. I called another dealer and they gave me wholesale pricing which added up to almost $80 less. I ordered these myself, and will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

"UPDATE" Had the dealer install, and program the truck ECU for $170 Labor. Works like a charm! Would recommend ordering separately to save $100.
Thank You. Did not know that. Dealer told me today that the module would not be shipped by dodge until June 2019.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I installed mine myself last weekend. Was pretty straightforward and did not take that long. Kind of nerve wracking pulling the radio/hvac bezel off but outside of that I had no issues. My truck goes in next Tuesday for some work and will have it flashed for the controller then.

TVANVA

Reaction score
If you can, please let us know what the dealership charged to add the sales code. I am going to add my controller soon and I like to be "armed" with information when I go to my dealership.

grinch72

Reaction score
If you can, please let us know what the dealership charged to add the sales code. I am going to add my controller soon and I like to be "armed" with information when I go to my dealership.
Item #2. They charged me $37.50 to add the sales code. I also purchased all the parts separately for $122 shipped so the whole job cost me less than $175 total. No complaints here!!

Attachments

• 2E0BA506-5A40-4086-B36D-E80DB386EE94.jpeg
    2E0BA506-5A40-4086-B36D-E80DB386EE94.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 101

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Thanks Grinch! I am going to take that with me to show my dealer. Hopefully they will do it for the same price.

SColang22

Reaction score
$112.36 for all parts listed (x4 screws and nuts just incase) on moparamerica.com

Will this require a dealer to mod the trucks software though? An hour of labor will negate all part cost savings :cautious:
Where do you get this price? I'm showing 250 for just the module?

SColang22

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread