5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that want to add the factory trailer brake controller...

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score

Attachments

• Brake controller parts.jpg
    Brake controller parts.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 76

grinch72

Reaction score
Yeah. That's what my order shows.
@SColang22 You need to order everything shown in the parts list above that @RedRocketZ28 posted. Copied again here for you. That is the controller, the switch, the mounting bracket and 3 nuts and screws to mount it all. I paid $122 with shipping! Much cheaper than buying the kit at the jacked up price.

Attachments

• Brake controller parts.jpg
    Brake controller parts.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 39

SColang22

Reaction score
@SColang22 You need to order everything shown in the parts list above that @RedRocketZ28 posted. Copied again here for you. That is the controller, the switch, the mounting bracket and 3 nuts and screws to mount it all. I paid $122 with shipping! Much cheaper than buying the kit at the jacked up price.
yea that's what i did but the description of the controller switch mentions everything but the brake controller.

Magredvet

Reaction score

Magredvet

Reaction score
I installed mine myself last weekend. Was pretty straightforward and did not take that long. Kind of nerve wracking pulling the radio/hvac bezel off but outside of that I had no issues. My truck goes in next Tuesday for some work and will have it flashed for the controller then.
About to do mine this weekend, and I was curious about the bezel removal.
Did you use a pry tool, or did you just grasp it from the top and pull back ?
I have seen youtube videos where the guy grasped the bezel at the top, and literally just snapped it back. I am too chicken, to attempt this, and would prefer to gently pry it off the dash, if that will work.
Any advise would be appreciated !

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I have seen youtube videos where the guy grasped the bezel at the top, and literally just snapped it back. I am too chicken, to attempt this, and would prefer to gently pry it off the dash, if that will work.

I tried a pry tool but eventually gave up and just grabbed the top and pulled. It sounds extremely violent unsnapping but I didn't break anything, lol.

TVANVA

Reaction score
Item #2. They charged me $37.50 to add the sales code. I also purchased all the parts separately for $122 shipped so the whole job cost me less than $175 total. No complaints here!!

That's a great price. Let's put the squeeze on the dealers to make that a standard cost. Guessing 1/2 hour of shop time for a 10 minute job. Still decent money for them, reasonable for us who do our own mods.

grinch72

Reaction score
Grabbed it from the top and pulled back. The noise it made made me think I snapped it in half but it was perfectly fine. Nothing happened to it at all!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$112.36 for all parts listed (x4 screws and nuts just incase) on moparamerica.com

Will this require a dealer to mod the trucks software though? An hour of labor will negate all part cost savings :cautious:
The Tazer DT module from Z-Automotive can enable the trailer brake and towing functions just like the dealer does. You also get tons of other functions like speedo/tire calibrate, light shows, operate Nav in Motion, Fogs + High Beam operation, 0-60 ET, etc etc. Displays info on the dash. It's pretty cool.

grinch72

Reaction score
The Tazer DT module from Z-Automotive can enable the trailer brake and towing functions just like the dealer does. You also get tons of other functions like speedo/tire calibrate, light shows, operate Nav in Motion, Fogs + High Beam operation, 0-60 ET, etc etc. Displays info on the dash. It's pretty cool.
Nope. Not true. I have the Tazer. It would not activate the brake module. Dealer needs to add a sales code to the VIN.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. Not true. I have the Tazer. It would not activate the brake module. Dealer needs to add a sales code to the VIN.
You have the Tazer DT (not Tazer) and enabled the "Set Trailer Tow" feature? Maybe I misread the manual.
--------------------------
Set Trailer Tow: This setting is to configure the vehicle for trailer tow package.
The Trailer Tow Package includes the Brake Controller. I ordered my Limited deliberately with no Tow Package and included the brake controller to avoid the 360 view/tow mirror debacle.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
That’d be awesome if the Tazer did that for sure. I’d be all about that if the dealer tried to gouge me on the flash.

grinch72

Reaction score
You have the Tazer DT (not Tazer) and enabled the "Set Trailer Tow" feature? Maybe I misread the manual.
Set Trailer Tow: This setting is to configure the vehicle for trailer tow package.
The Trailer Tow Package includes the Brake Controller. I ordered my Limited deliberately with no Tow Package and included the brake controller to avoid the 360 view/tow mirror debacle.
I get it. It’s the Tazer DT but you know what I meant and yes I was hoping it would enable it but it doesn’t??? Still had to go to the dealer.

SColang22

Reaction score
Got my parts in today. Dealer wants $120 to just flash the ECU.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score

Absolutely insane. I took mine in yesterday and the service guy told me they estimate up to an hour for any flash. I showed them the picture Grinch posted (cropped out everything but the TBC notes) and told them if it's going to cost much more than that to not do it. He said that they will only charge me for how long it takes. I had a list of other things to have them check/fix as well and am hoping to get it back today or tomorrow.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Crazy. We should be able to update the truck ourselves. I already update almost every device that I own from networking equipment, to phones, to TVs, to garage door openers, thermostats, and GD smart outlets? I just want to do it myself and live with the consequence.

k1kelley

Reaction score
Absolutely insane. I took mine in yesterday and the service guy told me they estimate up to an hour for any flash. I showed them the picture Grinch posted (cropped out everything but the TBC notes) and told them if it's going to cost much more than that to not do it. He said that they will only charge me for how long it takes. I had a list of other things to have them check/fix as well and am hoping to get it back today or tomorrow.

Had mine flashed and It literally took less than a minute. It took him a couple of minutes to look up the code, so the whole process was about 3 minutes. I know because I was right there when it was done. Luckily it didn't cost me anything.

Users who are viewing this thread